Style: All
Gear: Slingshot RPM 2015 11m
Airush Razor Team 2015 13m
Slingshot Turbine 2015 17m
Brand Affiliation: None

Heavyweight kitelooping gear

Postby finisher » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi guys

I have already learnt high jumps (up to 10 meters without a ramp) as well as the basic kiteloops such as: downloop, low jump + kiteloop, low/high jump transition-loop, high jump with heliloop; so technically I am ready for high jump kiteloops and megaloops. The problem is my weight that is almost 100kg (220lbs), that's why my main kite is Airush Razor 13m. Generally I suck in wakestyle, but I love this kite (or maybe the shape) for "endless" top-end - I start to feel overpowered, but still under control, when other people ride well powered on 7m kites, so it is probably 25 knots. Anyway, 13 meters kite is too big to loop it in high jump and overpowered conditions - it will kill me after the first shot.

At my local spot there are not many windy days, especially 30+ knots. So I am looking for a 9 meters kite with the best possible low end and fast enough to learn high jump kiteloops. As far as I know all C-Shaped kites have terrible low end, so I started to think about something like Switchblade, Rebel, Rally which have good low end, but I am not sure if they are fast enough for kiteloops in 9m size. RPM 9m should be fine for kiteloops but I loose some low end knots...

Any advice which kite to choose? Please, no marketing bullshit :nono:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Re: Heavyweight kitelooping gear

Postby edt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:21 pm

The Naish Torch has got to be the single best C kite with decent low end, good depower, loops perfect like a C kite should. That's what I would get if I were you and can afford to spend for a kite just to do megaloops, 9m Naish torch. Just my humble opinion, I never bought a torch myself but have ridden them enough to know that's what I would choose. Good luck let us know what you end up with. It requires a 5 line bar so you might need to pay for a new control bar too, not sure what your budget is like.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:41 pm

not sure about low end, but torch 10M loops really well. It's not too big to loop at all. I actually landed some of my first kiteloop on 10m torch 1 year ago.
Recently I have looped the ocean rodeo razor 10m, wasn't too bad either. A lot of C kite brand have even size 9m or 11m, i wish more had 10m, it's good size for my area.
I can do small kiteloop at 15 feet on 10m from 20-22 knots at 175lb for info. I am not really convinced a bigger kite sends you higher for kiteloop though. Not sure how much wind you would need to feel powered on 9 or 10, I feel like you wouldn't need that much more, at 25knots you should be ok.

I wouldn't suggested learning on bigger kite, i have had some luck on 12m C but when kite doesn't catch you it's painful, well even on 9m you can mess up easily, on 8m kite starts to be really fast and hard to fail those.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:51 pm

I think a bridled C will have better low end, best low end I've had was an ocean rodeo razor

Best bridled C loop gts4, not as good low end

Best loop is going to be an actual C kite

I've looped a 9m switchblade, which has great low end but the loops are decent, not as thrilling as a C, still fun thou

I'd be careful thou man and demo a kite, being 200-190 I've deformed some kites mid loop from different brands, you being heavier will deform more...go on vacation in a windy spot and demo! When I bagged out the switchblade after a season it started to deform in loops

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Naish Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2014 8m,10m Naish Torch
2014 11m SS RPM
2015 17m Blade Fat Lady v3
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2014 Naish Antic 142, 2017 Core Choice 2 142

Postby dracop » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:54 pm

I would strongly recommend a Naish Torch 10m for learning loops. The different sizes of Torch are not the same shape. The 10m is meant to be 50/50 wakestyle vs Big Air looping. The 8m is 75% Big Air to 25% Wakestyle. The 12m is 75% wakestyle to 25% Big Air.

When flying the kites, the 8m always loops so freakin hard. In same wind as my 10m, the 8m is mean and brutal.

The 12m is gutless and soft. Always lacking power and has no yank. You will notice superpros like Jesse Richman always on the 10m (shorten lines for stronger conditions) because the shape is the sweet spot for big jumps and loops.

I am also looping a 2018 North Rebel I am testing and I like the jump/loops on it. Not sure its the best for learning looping but its good at looping if you are already comfy with loops.

Both kites handle heavyweight well. I am 250 lbs (114kg) and I like jumping high and looping hard.

Note: one problem with the Torch are going to be the LINES. Naish uses the lowest quality/strength lines ever. They are garbage. I ordered custom lines from Liros and had my Naish bar re-fitted with those custom lines. Broke/stretched out five Naish linesets in one year. My custom lines have not broken and have not stretched in over a year of intense use.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:31 pm

dracop wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:54 pm
Note: one problem with the Torch are going to be the LINES. Naish uses the lowest quality/strength lines ever. They are garbage. I ordered custom lines from Liros and had my Naish bar re-fitted with those custom lines. Broke/stretched out five Naish linesets in one year. My custom lines have not broken and have not stretched in over a year of intense use.
There are good deal on Best GP bar too nowadays, those lines are really solid. If you don't mind the giant chicken loop.

Sun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Gear: 15m Chrono V2
12m TS V5, 9m TS V6, 7m TS V6
10m Roca V2
6m Alana (2016)
CF Bulldozer
Nobile XTR

Postby Sun » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:37 pm

With the amount of gear Dracop handles, he has a great grasp of what is out there kite wise. I would listen to his advice.

As for my own opinion, I would suggest a Best TS as an option for you, but probably a 10m. I have a 12m and a 9m and weigh 85kg. I can use the 12m starting at 15 knots, and by 25 knots it is too much. I have not had the chance to take the 9m above 30 knots yet, but it had plenty of depower left. I can start to use the 9m around 20 knots. I also have a 10m Roca, and it has the same high end at the 12m TS, and a bit more low end. I think the Roca is more representative of the average kite from a size perspective, while the TS seems to need bigger kites than average. If you cannot find a TS, look for the Eleveight FS.
Last edited by Sun on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strekke
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: 2016 North Mono 12m, 2017 Naish Dash 10m, 2017 Naish Dash 8m, 2015 North Dice 7m, Firewire Vanguard 5'1, 2017 F-One Acid, 2017 Sroka Freeride Foil

Postby Strekke » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:25 pm

I own a 10m Naish Dash which boosts nicely/easily and is very quick around the loop - won't pull as hard in the loop as a true C kite, but will catch you every time. Efficient kite once it starts moving so low end is good too, but it does truly come to life when powered up. But with your weight you probably won't take it out in its lower range anyways.

zig zag
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby zig zag » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:25 pm

Many locals use the Ocean Rodeo Razor for looping.. it's built tough and loops well 8m/10m are the 'money' kites
Last edited by zig zag on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm 225 and My 10 mtr rpm works for me starting at 18 or so,loops nice,decent pull,will catch me ok, but not exactly a megalooper.My 8 mtr is the ticket once the winds hit upper 20's.Have a fuel 9 for when its really cranking.Try a bigger board,my biggest kite is a 12 rpm and I'm not in an extremely windy area,crazy fly raptor pro ltd 140 gets me going a little sooner than my 136.

Return to “Kitesurfing”