Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best hurricane ultra high wind 40 plus knot kite

Forum for kitesurfers
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Best hurricane ultra high wind 40 plus knot kite

Postby fernmanus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Even with a team, do you really want to mess with a Cat 5 Storm? The potential for a deadly acceleration is high for a storm that size.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:54 pm

toddsphresh wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:59 am
Perhaps thread title is misleading. It should say something like best 45-60 knot kite. This is for before and after the storm. I will have a back up crew. As soon as it hits cat 1 I will send it and come in!
😲🤑😛😲😎 :thumb:
We get this in every high wind thread. Risk adverse guys who stop kiting above a certain wind speed cant fathom others kiting in wind speeds they cant. Toby is the ring leader advocating not kiting in high winds. Then he takes a 18m kite and kites in a jam packed lagoon in 25 knots providing more risk to himself and others than I guy kiting in high wind with on an isolated beach with the right equipment.

The reality is high wind kiting is realatively safe with the right equipment and skill.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Indeed Plummet. And then there's the issue of what we're actually talking about, gusts or steady wind. I've been out in gust Mid-40s. No issue whatsoever for my 85kg & Pivot 7m since steady wind typically is in the high 30s.

I've been out in gusts in the low-50s on my Pivot 5m. Steady wind mid-40s. That was fun for 30 minutes. Didn't jump actively, too extreme for me.

The difference between steady high-30s and high-40s is huge. Let alone gusts above 50. Obviously others can handle more because of skill&weight, but there's very few who can handle that & gusts in the vicinity of 60 knots. No amateur I know at least.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:09 pm

any small kite developed with some effort in Maui - would like to think well tested in gusting in the low 40s at least (they have the conditions to test). I have always been doubtful that many companies really put much effort/time into testing smaller kites in very high winds even if they have one in their line.

Very high winds... the biggest issue for me has been the ability to handle the huge gust variations you can get - and also the deathlooping factor -does teh kite have teh design features that greatly reduce the chance - ie super short or no bridles pulleys - and a bar design where the chances of getting half hitched are greatly reduced (long stiff leader lines, minimal etc..) and finally - a fully flagging single line leash, i still trust a 5th line more than anything else in super high winds.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:32 am
...I weigh 195 pounds and go to 7m Naish Pivot at 25 knots, and 6m Best Cabo at 30. Seldom kited much above 30...
This is the only realistic post in the entire thread. People desire to maximize adrenaline factor is understandable, but the reality is brutal. For god sake, people have difficulty walking straight in puny 30 knots (level 7 on Beaufort scale)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKUipxR3bDc

What most people [who salivate over kiting in gale wind] neglect is the dependency of kite pull over wind speed. It is quadratic (not linear). For instance, the forces involved in 40 knots conditions are 4 times stronger that those at 20 knots. Consequently, you need 4 times smaller kite. However this idea [of taking smaller kite] is totally annihilated when we consider gusts. A gust at 40 knots would almost inevitably would break out of the kite range.

From that perspective I agree with Toby. For his critics, 18 meter kite may sound intimidating, but it is merely 1.5 times more powerful than 12 m kite. It is a piece of cake for a rider of appropriate weight in stellar 20 knots conditions.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 am

tegirinenashi wrote: It is quadratic (not linear). For instance, the forces involved in 40 knots conditions are 4 times stronger that those at 20 knots.
Wind power is cubic not quadratic with windspeed. 40^3/20^3 = 8 times more powerful.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 pm

OR 5M Storm is recommended to 45 k.
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2386498
Wainman Bunny is recommended to < 50 k.
Once you get above 45 k, you should consider a kite smaller than 5M.
For e.x. Epic Tutor 2.5, BRM 2.8, Ozone Uno, ...
My rule of thumb is you don't feel comfortable looping the kite, time to rig a smaller kite.
https://youtu.be/IFMtRAGZN90

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tegirinenashi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Power is cubic indeed. Lift is velocity squared. This brings up one interesting corollary: don't get your kite moving under the high wind, otherwise all this power might unleash.

BTW, this square/cubic dependencies bring up another consequence: power vanishes rather abruptly at low end. If a kite falls down from the sky at 5 knots, its redesign with 10% weight reduction is not going to make any noticeable impact.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tegirinenashi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:01 pm

sflinux wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 pm
OR 5M Storm is recommended to 45 k...
What do they [OR] recommend for 22.5 knots? 20 or 40 meter kite?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:50 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:01 pm
sflinux wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 pm
OR 5M Storm is recommended to 45 k...
What do they [OR] recommend for 22.5 knots? 20 or 40 meter kite?
tegirinenashi wrote: Power is cubic indeed. Lift is velocity squared. This brings up one interesting corollary: don't get your kite moving under the high wind, otherwise all this power might unleash.

BTW, this square/cubic dependencies bring up another consequence: power vanishes rather abruptly at low end. If a kite falls down from the sky at 5 knots, its redesign with 10% weight reduction is not going to make any noticeable impact.
Have you flown in these winds with kites of these size?
What you are talking about is mathematical theory.

But in reality 5-6 m kites can and do fly in 40 knots. They are controllable. I admit yes its brutal. But if you have the skill its completely achievable. Small kites can handle a massive wind range. I can stay upwind on my 6m mutant combo at 20 knots and hold it to 50 knot gusts when fully trimmed.

This is an example of someone who cant fatham kiting in high winds because he himself does not enjoy it or doesn't have the skill to do so therefore he thinks its not achievable for anyone else.

Return to “Kitesurfing”