Forum for kitesurfers
kiteclub_gr
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, Blankforce, Mystic,
Has thanked: 0

Greek Meltemi

Postby kiteclub_gr » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am sure that most of you already know the famous wind of the Aegean Sea, the Meltemi. It's a North wind mostly in July and throughout August. A few days ago the National Observatory of Athens published an article on the Meltemi.

The chart that follows, shows the days that had a strong Meltemi in the Aegean Sea (blue cells), from 2009 till Augut 2017. As a basic critiria for the days shown was a max wind gust of 50km/h.

In the total of the 62 days, July 1st till August 31st, during the last 9years the days with strong northerly winds were around 20days (in 2014) up till 47days (in 2016). 2017 was also a year with strong winds, with a total of 42 days, with wind gusts that exceeded 50km/h.

In red appears the day with the maximum wind gust that has been recorded within the specific weather station: 79km/h on 21/08/2010.

meltemia_final.PNG
As a result of the above, ideal kitsurfing destiantions would be Paros, Naxos, Mykonos, Limnos, and also Loutsa, the largest kite spot within the main land of Greece, 10min from the airport and less than 40min from the center of Athens.

Enjoy you summer at Greece.

athen
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Greek Meltemi

Postby athen » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:56 am

good advertisement, thanks!

Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Postby Hpr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:43 am

Thanks for the info, I'm sure most people know about the good winds in the Aegean! Do you have a comment on the thread below? I spend a fair amount of time in Greece and was hoping to go to Limnos next time I'm there. But if it's really as bad as the op says then I wont bother. For some reason he does not answer though - making me wonder...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2396942&p=983021&hi ... os#p983021

PatrickIT78
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Campo di Mare, Cerveteri (RM), Italy
Salto di Fondi, Terracina (LT), Italy
Bufalara, Latina, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Quebramar-Paracuru-Cearà-Brasil
Lo Stagnone-Marsala (TP)-Sicily-Italy
La Caletta-Siniscola (NU)-Sardinia-Italy
Watamu-Kenya
Prasonisi-Rhodes-Greece
Style: Freestyle/Freeride
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha SwitchBlade 12m
2016 Cabrinha FX 10m
2010 Cabrinha Nomad 7m
2017 Cabrinha Ace Twin Tip Board
2015 North Pro Series Surfboard
Been thanked: 0

Postby PatrickIT78 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Back from 18 days in Naxos: Meltemi was gusty as hell!!!

Maybe good conditions if you are Nick Jacobsen, Aaron Hadlow or Ruben Lenten in a KOTA battle but not for a human rider.

It was difficult for me to improve my riding and make progresses in freestyle.

I have so much respect for those who work in Mikri Vigla and Glyfada schools but I think Naxos is not the best destination for kitesurfing in August.

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:14 pm

PatrickIT78 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Maybe good conditions if you are Nick Jacobsen, Aaron Hadlow or Ruben Lenten in a KOTA battle but not for a human rider.

I have so much respect for those who work in Mikri Vigla and Glyfada schools but I think Naxos is not the best destination for kitesurfing in August.
I do not agree. Have been going to Naxos for years. Great winds, most used kites in summer 7 and 9m, you can stay within a few hundred meters of the spot, which is still relatively undeveloped and wild, compared to many other places with similar conditions (think Tarifa..). The water is crystal clear, the island has lots to offer in addition to the kiting. Its well worth a trip! Try also the kite safaris that some of the yachting tours offer, they take you to other spots on the neighboring islands.
Greece is great for kiting in summer!

kiteclub_gr
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, Blankforce, Mystic,

Postby kiteclub_gr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:30 pm

athen wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:56 am
good advertisement, thanks!
With so many days of wind for sure it is good advertisement! And thanks for your help as well....
Hpr wrote: Thanks for the info, I'm sure most people know about the good winds in the Aegean! Do you have a comment on the thread below? I spend a fair amount of time in Greece and was hoping to go to Limnos next time I'm there. But if it's really as bad as the op says then I wont bother. For some reason he does not answer though - making me wonder...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2396942&p=983021&hi ... os#p983021
I have not seen it, I will comment on it for sure on the other thread.
Qiter wrote:
PatrickIT78 wrote:

I do not agree. Have been going to Naxos for years. Great winds, most used kites in summer 7 and 9m, you can stay within a few hundred meters of the spot, which is still relatively undeveloped and wild, compared to many other places with similar conditions (think Tarifa..). The water is crystal clear, the island has lots to offer in addition to the kiting. Its well worth a trip! Try also the kite safaris that some of the yachting tours offer, they take you to other spots on the neighboring islands.

Qiter is right, Naxos is a perfect kite destination! If the wind is over 25knots it can be a bit gusty and choppy but it's windy all day and night.

PatrickIT78
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Campo di Mare, Cerveteri (RM), Italy
Salto di Fondi, Terracina (LT), Italy
Bufalara, Latina, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Quebramar-Paracuru-Cearà-Brasil
Lo Stagnone-Marsala (TP)-Sicily-Italy
La Caletta-Siniscola (NU)-Sardinia-Italy
Watamu-Kenya
Prasonisi-Rhodes-Greece
Style: Freestyle/Freeride
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha SwitchBlade 12m
2016 Cabrinha FX 10m
2010 Cabrinha Nomad 7m
2017 Cabrinha Ace Twin Tip Board
2015 North Pro Series Surfboard
Been thanked: 0

Postby PatrickIT78 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:44 pm

Qiter wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:14 pm

I used 7 and 10m kite and I've enjoyed some freeride sessions. Surely the island is beautiful: long sandy beaches, beautiful little mountain villages, amazing sunset in Chora ecc.. In 2014 I was in Mykonos and Paros and I found the same wind conditions so I wonder if it's a Cyclades prerogative during summer season. In 2011 on Rhodes island conditions were less challenging. Anyway I love Greece!

athen
Medium Poster

Postby athen » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:02 am

totally true!
PatrickIT78 wrote:

Return to “Kitesurfing”