Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

I hate the wmfg pump

Postby edt » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:29 pm

So I have tried it enough times now. I hate it. I like to really put my back into the pump, after all, my back muscles are a lot stronger than my arm muscles and I can pump harder and faster if I use my back. The wmfg pump is so tall that it takes my back muscles entirely out. I mean I guess that pump is good for someone who is 6 foot 2 or taller, maybe it's also ok for someone who has a really bad back? Another thing I like about the standard pump is that it packs up smaller than the wmfg. The wmfg is awkward to fit into my backpack. Now don't get me wrong I do like some things about the wmfg. 'For instance the wmfg dual barrel when it is set at max pump is great, you inflate your kite so fast and then can switch it over to the "1" setting to finish. I like that. But again, I can't really use this pump as it only works the arms and I hate that. I love the feeling of pumping up my kite using my back muscles and then when I launch the kite, my back is nice and warmed up. After pumping up with the wmfg I feel like I need to spend another 5 minutes warming my back muscles up because the only muscle it hits are the arms. And if you are a lady or a short guy, under 5 foot 6, I see no way to use that pump at all, so awkward.

Anyway, that's my beef. I hate the wmfg pump. Maybe it's revolutionary for you skyscrapers but I hate it. For now my go to pump is the yellow airhead dual action.

ps I just checked and noticed that wmfg makes a "short" version the "R" but I haven't ever seen the "R" around to borrow yet, only seen the tall version around.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: I hate the wmfg pump

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Ya know, you do not have to go all the way up and all the way down when you pump. You can just stroke it in the middle of the pumps travel.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:59 pm

rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:53 pm
Ya know, you do not have to go all the way up and all the way down when you pump. You can just stroke it in the middle of the pumps travel.
You don't get it. I can't bend DOWN far enough. The pump stops. It's not about only pumping halfway. Are you 6 foot tall or over?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Gotta' disagree, edt. I love my WMFG. Granted, I'm on the taller side. But I never use my back to pump a kite. I use my legs, keeping my back straight. Then, as you say, my muscles (leg) are nice and stretched when I hit the water.

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Don Monnot » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:07 pm

I love mine, especially when pumping up my 15m. The stroke on it seems easier for me. It should be harder (moving more air per stroke in the same amount of time), so it must have something to do with the materials they use in the pump. Maybe the bigger hose, piston seal, ??????? When I pump it up, I still can put my back to use (pump the lower portion of the stroke at the end when things get tougher to pump--the bottom half of the stroke on the WMFG is like the top half of the stroke on a standard AirHead pump), but my arms def get more of a workout in the beginning. Not a bad thing, since my arms also get loosened up.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Ok that's enough cheering about the wmfg pump from the skyscrapers

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:43 pm

I want a smaller pump. Most of my kites are strutless, kite pump is overkill. One half the size would do!
By the way, pump with your legs, works better, little bit aerobic and gets your legs and hips ready to ride...

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone
Been thanked: 0

Postby wind chaser » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:45 pm

I'm 6' and this is a back saver along with high flow air valves. Could look into this and make it work on kites for $30 (https://m.harborfreight.com/air-tools/a ... 69284.html) beware: harbor freight tools are total crap and it'll probably break on you during a session/trip toward end of season.

If you don't like the WFMG pump why aren't you using the standard 2 liter pump?

This should work for the strutless cloud complainers - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00147OV ... ref=plSrch
Last edited by wind chaser on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139

Postby flyingcamel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 pm

only thing i dont like about them is their hoses. they are very flexible which is great but they break easily. ive seen 5 so far

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:21 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:05 pm
Gotta' disagree, edt. I love my WMFG. Granted, I'm on the taller side. But I never use my back to pump a kite. I use my legs, keeping my back straight. Then, as you say, my muscles (leg) are nice and stretched when I hit the water.
That is exactly how you are supposed to use it. Use your legs. Using the back to pmp is exactly the wrong way to do it. OP I think at some point using your back you might end up having a disc slide out. It doesn't take much.

Return to “Kitesurfing”