Kiting since: 2007
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha FX vs switchblade- for oldschool style

Postby huge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:53 pm

shutupjoy wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 am
huge wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:53 am
2018 fx has nice hangtime and has a lighter feeling than the sb. The 10m is awsome I just received mine and had a fun session in 15 knots, I weight 185 lbs and was surprisef by the nice hangtime compared to my 10m fx of 2016. I still have a sb and i am going fx for all sizes this year, fed up with the lateral pull of the sb and love the feeling of the fx
Did you felt the difference between looping a SB and looping a FX? What was more easy for you when you finished a trick?
Definitely easier with the fx as it naturally wants to loop after reaching the apex of a jump

podiatanapraia
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 2013 12m
North Jaime board 133cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby podiatanapraia » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:04 pm

My 2 cents:
I weigh the same as you and have been doing airstyle tricks using a 12m Switchblade for the last couple of years, along with a 133cm board. I ride it in winds varying from 15 to 30 knots. At 35 it gets... uncomfortable.

Most of these tricks require airtime, lots of it. For a lot of them, specially the ones where you're spinning, or upside down, and have just one hand (or no hands) on the bar, having a slower, steady kite really helps. I've had plenty of bad wipeouts because the kite came forward too soon, and it can be hard to tell where it is when you're doing 3 full spins in the air.

As for the sliding, that feeling you had of doing a looooong darkslide with the Switch is gonna be more and more important as you try other slide tricks. On the other hand, you do get used to and learn to manage that extra power during the kite loop, by doing it later (hey, more time for your trick), by pointing the board downwind to absorb the power and even by continuing the loop and turning it into a transition, so that the kite doesn't race through the power zone from one side to the other.

For all these reasons, I wouldn't go with an FX. It's a faster turning kite, and I think it's really designed for riders who want to start with unhooked tricks. I love my knees way to much for that. 😁

Right now, personally, I'm looking into a 14m Apollo as a possible kite to take my progression further. Not sure about it yet, but it looks promising.

Hope that helped! Cheers.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:16 pm

If you want to become a good kitelooper, get small and fast and tight turning.

If you want to become an Airstyler like me, get as big as you can hold. The bigger, the slower, the more tricks you will land.

Kite not looping fast enough for slide tricks one may think? I ride an 18 sqm kite, inner bar connection, kite trimmed to slow plus 32m long lines. Slow. But still can loop.

Go and try and see what you can hold down...also consider a smaller board to get more controlled of a powered kite.

podiatanapraia just made the same experience. The Apollo 14 will take him much further!

Safety you think? Kitelooping is dangerous, so is a fast turning kite. A big kite can't death loop.
With a bigger kite you will (and should) be more aware of the power when launching and landing (no board in your hand).

my 2 cents.

Let us know what you went for and how your progress went. I am sure there are many more like you out there not knowing what to get.

Testing is a big help.

Good luck!

Return to “Kitesurfing”