Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Edge V9 vs OR flite vs Core XR5

forum for kitesurfers

dwarf
Frequent Poster

Ozone Edge V9 vs OR flite vs Core XR5

Postby dwarf » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 am

Hi all,

Looking for a new quiver for my twintip sessions. I am an experienced rider, 80kg and typically ride flat water and most of the time wind is between 18-30 knots, I do not bother getting out below 18 knots so I am thinking 10m & 8m. I would use these kites purely for boosting big and old school. Kite must have good bar feedback and not pivot too much during powered kiteloops. I have narrowed it down to these 3 but hard for me to test these kites for myself prior to purchase.

Any out there that have tested these 3 kites back to back? Not interested in any other suggestions.

Thanks guys!

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Calshot
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-17m kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Edge V9 vs OR flite vs Core XR5

Postby baxterbradford » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 am

I have XR5 in 13.5, 11 & 9m. First of all I rode the 9m and couldn't believe how long I stayed on the water with surfboard & twin tip, so much fun! I'm coming to them from Enduro 14 & 10m and prior to that had Edge V8 13m. The hang time of XR5 is immense, are very stable, they turn really well and have great wind range. Took 13.5 out in 16kts nicely powered and came in when it was 23 gusting 25! Steering really good with full trim applied. Not ridden Edge V9, but heard that they have cured tip shudder/shedding that I experienced lots on my Edge V8. Not ridden OR Flite.

ronik
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Sobieszewo, Gdansk, Poland
Favorite Beaches: Gdansk Gulf, Poland
Style: freestyle
Gear: Airush VarialX 8m, NHP board

Postby ronik » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 am

@baxterbradford - have you ever thought about returning to ozone? edge or enduro?

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:25 am

The OR Flite could be described as pivot turning as it turns tightly (although I'd say its more wingtip turning) and doesn't generate as much grunt through the turn - hence its forgiving looping nature.

Otherwise it has excellent hangtime and decent (if light) bar feel. If grunty loops are your thing, you can generate wider loops and get that pull but I personally like the nimble and fast turning so if I get the timing wrong I can pull hard and still get the kite round in a tighter loop and save it.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 am

Well the edge is the winner winner chicken dinner for boosting. But it needs to be actively flown through the jump for best results. For that reason the old schoolers tend to sacrifice a bit of height and aspect for a kite that needs less active flying mid jump like a north rebel.

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139

Postby flyingcamel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:55 pm

all 3 are primo and have the stats for what you want to do. only way ull know what u want is to fly them. the xr and edge are very similar, differences being that the xr5 sits a little deeper then the edge does in the window but can handle more wind but less low end. flite rides almost to the edge as much as the edge but turns tighter and faster with less power. all 3 have similar hangtime.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:07 am

plummet wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 am
Well the edge is the winner winner chicken dinner for boosting. But it needs to be actively flown through the jump for best results. For that reason the old schoolers tend to sacrifice a bit of height and aspect for a kite that needs less active flying mid jump like a north rebel.

yep. For out and out, locked and loaded boost (the kind where the kite drags you down to the waters edge), I really miss my edges.

Greenturtle
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 17, RRD Emotion 17, OR Flite 12, Solo 9 & 6.5
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:42 am

I have a flite 12m-
If you want fast and direct kite reaction from bar input, this is the one.
Its notably more nimble compared to any other 12m kite I've tried. Big boosting- for sure.

But it sounds like you want a wider loop... Id say Edge for you.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:49 am

I have a quiver of Core XR's. I love em. They boost great, but what I really like about them is that the landings are always nice, even in the smaller sizes. They are built more durable than the edges.

You may not want to even consider a foil, but if you have an open mind, the one kite i would add to the quiver is an 11m Flysurfer Sonic 2 if you want a kite that boosts to the moon. The depower on the Sonic is unreal, it allows you to soar and the landings are butter soft.

dwarf
Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:54 am

Thanks for the input guys. Will let you know the outcome.

Return to “Kitesurfing”