Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Mono for Waveriding - Your Experience?

Forum for kitesurfers
Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

North Mono for Waveriding - Your Experience?

Postby Onda » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 am

Hi all,
the Mono seems interesting to me for wave riding. However, I´ve hardly heard / seen anything of this model so far.
I´m riding Ozone Reos and I´m looking for an alternative in 9-10 m² (as the 2015 Reo in 10 m² is a bit sluggish for me). Should have a very good low-end and high-end and very reactive steering / fast turning. Plus low bar pressure. Would have to fit to my 7 m² Reo V4, windrange-wise, which I can ride from 17 kts upwards.
I´ve tested the 2016 Mono in 7 m² briefly and found it surprisingly superb in terms of turning speed, high-end (often not very good with 1-strut kites), stability. Not very different to my 2015 Reo in 7 m².
Any experiences with the larger Monos?

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Mono for Waveriding - Your Experience?

Postby stefarius » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi Onda,

Mono reviews all kind of sizes http://www.kitefinder.com/en/kites/1646 ... er-reviews
We use the mono's in the school. Sizes 15m-12m-9m-7m-6m-5m. Personally, I use the Mono's for Hydrofoiling in light winds. The bigger kites have great stability under 10 knots. Review bigger North Mono 15m with 27m lines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaT8XTxmtPw&t=40s
There is a small difference between the 2016 and 2017 smaller mono's. 2017 series has a bit more lift & boost performance. A bit less stability in low-wind conditions. (hydrofoiling low-wind conditions). Personally for the wave, North NEO's

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:37 pm

I have Mono 7-9-12. Try work well for me on HF and waveboard. I wouldn't say they have great top end, more low-end and easy power delivery, light bar pressure, reactive steering in all trim states, but they turn very predictably.
I've not ridden a Neo or Reo.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:45 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:37 pm
I have Mono 7-9-12. Try work well for me on HF and waveboard. I wouldn't say they have great top end, more low-end and easy power delivery, light bar pressure, reactive steering in all trim states, but they turn very predictably.
I've not ridden a Neo or Reo.

Exactly, they have loads of power, but no high end, the big ones, you can not have both and those here having ridden the big ones find the really powerful, often too much for hydrofoiling...

So compared to your Reo's (or a Neo) they are almost opposite - so would not recommend it personally as a "wave" kite.

Having said that, it will have so much power that it can be the difference from not being able to surf, to go surfing - so with that in mind it will be great :naughty:

8) Peter

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm doing OK on the monos on the HF and surf they are good for me.
But WTF do I know.
Peter, if you were going to get a new quiver of LEI kites for foiling 80%, shitty wave wave kiting 20%, which model and sizes would you get? 8 to 22 knots on HF, 18-28 knots on surfboard.

Return to “Kitesurfing”