Postby lindseym » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:54 am

Rider info
- Weight = 155
- Board = Best Armada 131x40
- Style = Oldschool hooked in riding
- Wind speed = First day about 13 to 15 | Second day about 14 to 18
- Kite = RS 12m set knots furthers out on kite for lighter pressure
-----------------
Overall I was extremely impressed and a bit surprised by this kite's capabilities. A few things that really stood out
- Similar to a race kite, it grabs onto any little bit of wind it can utilize. I was shocked at this kites low end.
- Its one of the easiest relaunching kites I've ever used and would be perfect for a beginner. On the relaunch it didn't collapse (taco fold) like some kites do. It held its shape, rolled right on the edge, and stayed.
- The kite truly does read your mind. Its stability is beautiful and in the sky it completely behaves in accordance to your input.
- The boosting power and hang time are superb. I would put it up there with all the major players in boosting kites (XR, Rebel, Roca, Switchblade).

Aside from all that, my most significant criteria for a kite's performance is the degree to which I hit my tricks, especially tricks that are still new. On the stronger wind day I did a number of board offs. In particular I did a drill where i attempted 5 double front-roll board offs. I landed 3 of the 5 which is pretty good. What I noticed is that the kite is locked in position and awaits for your impulse. I also did a few board flips (varial ?) and could not believe how easy it was and how much time in the air I had. Inverted fronts were also pretty easy.

So the question that people have been asking, "how does it compare to the Roca and TS?" Its a fair question but tough to compare because the feel of the kite is entirely different. i'd say that it's probably a bit closer to the TS in its agility but boost and hangs like the Roca. Again though, it really comes down to the riders preference and skills.

My only recommendation is that they offer more sizes. An 11 and 15 are desperately needed for this kite. Yes, the bar too could probably use some additional enhancements but its comfortable, simple, and does the job.

Overall, the kite has a very strong, solid, and predictable feel. They definitely did a great job and will be curious to see what others think.
Last edited by lindseym on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Re: Eleveight RS: My Review

Postby lindseym » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:54 am

One final thing to mention - the bar does seem to be a bit more durable and has a nice QR that is quick and clean. With these types of releases you want to wash them out periodically to ensure nothing gets jammed in there.

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Nice review @lindseym!

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Is this just me or that review tastes like a marketing pitch? Fairly mediocre at that...
Trust-me.jpg
Trust-me.jpg (226.78 KiB) Viewed 3993 times

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby or6 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:42 pm

I don't know, there's a lot of love for eleveight, sure, but why not trust it? He likes the kite, so he writes a favourable review.

Thing is, lately, last couple of years, there are plenty kites that are pretty good....and whether you like them or not is personal preference. It's like reading reviews about a Mercedes or a BMW....they are going going to be well received, but there will always be people who prefer on over the other. You still won't find any real bad points in the review.

I'd be interested in seeing the eleveight kites here in Europe, why not. Best had a bad rep, but the TS is a fine kite, imo.

Anyway....thx for the review.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jbrook » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Peter is a great guy with a ton of experience what is not to like? Stay open mimded and try to support the lil guy you bunch of bullys LOL.

lindseym
Frequent Poster

Postby lindseym » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:56 am

alexeyga wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:59 pm
Is this just me or that review tastes like a marketing pitch? Fairly mediocre at that...

Trust-me.jpg
That literally made me laugh out loud. Yes, it does sound like an ad but this is exactly what I felt about the kite and any review I give will be authentic.
Last edited by lindseym on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lindseym
Frequent Poster

Postby lindseym » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:57 am

or6 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Anyway....thx for the review.
:thumb:

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:52 pm

alexeyga wrote:

Trust-me.jpg
Have you been to a kite beach? All kiters are the biggest product pimps ever. Everyone will always say how their gear is the best ever. On top of that this is a kite forum, this is where we are allowed to get all proud of our new gear!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:41 pm

bjw wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:52 pm
alexeyga wrote:

Trust-me.jpg
Have you been to a kite beach? All kiters are the biggest product pimps ever. Everyone will always say how their gear is the best ever. On top of that this is a kite forum, this is where we are allowed to get all proud of our new gear!

I would certainly not say my kites are the best ever! I think that overall they work well for what I want to do, but there are kites which drift better in waves, there are kites which boost better, there are faster kites for freeride, there are kites which turn faster, there are kites with a larger wind range, and so on. There are other kites which after a short period of adaptation I'm sure I would be perfectly happy with.

Return to “Kitesurfing”