Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board
Brand Affiliation: None

Most durable kite bar and lines

Postby toddsphresh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:32 am

Looking to replace my tired 2008 flexifoil bar. Don't care the year or options just looking for a bar that I wont have to worry about breaking anytime soon that has the least maintenance. Something for those nuking 30+ knot days. Thanks for any and all advice

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Re: Most durable kite bar and lines

Postby pj sofine » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Slingshot,choice of above or below bar depower,been using for 7 years now and besides a couple of depower ropes they've been good.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:56 pm

For lines, nothing gets even close to Q-Power. My 3 years old regular Q-power set looks brand new. I had a 10 year old set of Q-Power pro that I stopped using because come on, 10 years... but it looked flawless.

For bars, I'm very happy with the old switch bar version 2, holding on really well after maybe 4 years?. I like the slightly bigger diameter and tough rubber grip.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:04 pm

I second the Qline love is just awesome lasts forever doesnt stretch. Big fan.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Why aren't there any manufacturers ussing Q-Line? And it's a US only thing or what? I don't think there's a single shop in the Netherlands selling that stuff.

+1 For the Switch V2-V3 bar. Not the prettiest, and pretty heavy, but indestructible. And spareparts readily available, so maybe you can alter your current bar with Switch components :)

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:55 pm

Faxie wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:13 pm
Why aren't there any manufacturers ussing Q-Line? And it's a US only thing or what? I don't think there's a single shop in the Netherlands selling that stuff.
A shop I do work for had Q-Power line until they said that we did not sell enough and dropped us. Now I use Jerry Brown braided lines in custom made line sets. Although my stretching techniques have evolved much beyond what I did with Q-Power line, I firmly believe the Jerry Brown linesets are the best for feel and durability. And I am much happier with Jerry Brown as opposed to Q-Power line.

Q-power has some issues that you need to know about.

1. It does stretch. If you use knots, it will stretch at those knots as they "set". But pre-stretching is important just like braid, for the entire length of the line. All Spectra/Dyneema stretches elastically and also has some yield. With braid, you need to set the braid AND stretch. With Q-Power line, you do not have to set any braid, but you must stretch the core to eliminate it's yield.
2. If you sleeve and sew loops on the ends with a sewing machine, wet the Q-Power line first. This will stop the needle and nylon thread from cutting (melting) the Q-Power line during the sewing operation. If you do not wet, you can lose up to 75% of the strength of the line as strands are cut by the sewing action. Some of this high loss has to do with the linear layup of the internal load bearing core of Q-power. Braids (thus non linear) tend to make up for some strands being cut at different locations along the line.
3. There have been reports of kiters doing testing with Q-Power line knotted {figure 8} connections resulting in a 60% (reduction to around 250lb) in tensile strength loss at the not. That means that your front line sets may have good low elastic stretch properties, but ultimate strength is compromised below what any kiter would want to know about.

Number 3 may be why no MFG is using Q-Power line with their bars.

I will say that Q-Power line can be the most useful thing in your tool box though. It makes super quick knotted pigtails. And given that you are connecting above the knot onto two lines, that 250lb breaking strength should be increased to at least 500lb or more when used with a "larks head" connection (pigtail) as in the pic below.
Attachments
Q-powerline.jpg

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Liros DC series is perfectly fine for most riders and you can splice it so it works well with flag out systems. Q power line cannot be spliced.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 pm

I suddenly recall a brand using new sheathed lines... can't remember which one though :')

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire/Tomo, Loyd, Ion

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Faxie wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 pm
I suddenly recall a brand using new sheathed lines... can't remember which one though :')
Sounds like RRD's Ridged Thread lines...
http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/year ... _section_4

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:24 pm
Faxie wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 pm
Sounds like RRD's Ridged Thread lines...
http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/year ... _section_4
Yeah, that's the one!

Is that the same idea as Q-Power?

Return to “Kitesurfing”