forum for kitesurfers

bjw
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 5
Gear: Best
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Most durable kite bar and lines

Postby bjw » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:40 am

I dont understand why the core and Switch have hard ends. It'll kill my surfboard fast.

Also with the switch the jagged edges are just one thing for the lines to get caught around themselves and create deathloops.

All bars should have PVC coating on the main ropes, smooth soft edges and floats.

And we don't need an "on the fly" stopper any more. It's not 2005.

Anyway, that doesn't answer your question🙂

GG-Fluidkiteboarding
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Style: oldschool
Gear: Fluid kiteboarding Gear
Brand Affiliation: Fluid kiteboarding

Postby GG-Fluidkiteboarding » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:03 am

We've just launched a kite with Fluid kiteboarding that has 500kg lines, sleeve protector 3mm dyneema ,sleeved, spiced and a plastic cover to prevent bending of the line behind the sleeve.

I ride more than the average rider and been on the same set for 2 years, I never rinse my bars with fresh water either and still looks pretty new.
I broke a set of other lines in a storm and dropped 12m. So now they are pretty much bullit proof

http://www.fluidkiteboardingint.com/ba ... 500kg.php

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:24 am

bjw wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:40 am
I dont understand why the core and Switch have hard ends. It'll kill my surfboard fast.

Also with the switch the jagged edges are just one thing for the lines to get caught around themselves and create deathloops.

All bars should have PVC coating on the main ropes, smooth soft edges and floats.

New bar out from Switch claims to have 'Soft bar ends'. Never seen one in real life but they look pretty good. I particularly like the high V split option although I wonder if the lines will wear in a similar way to the North Click bar if you use it. If I hadn't just bought a new bar I'd be tempted to get one of these whilst they are currently on special offer.

http://switchkites.com/controller4x.html

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:47 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:24 am
bjw wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:40 am

New bar out from Switch claims to have 'Soft bar ends'. Never seen one in real life but they look pretty good. I particularly like the high V split option although I wonder if the lines will wear in a similar way to the North Click bar if you use it. If I hadn't just bought a new bar I'd be tempted to get one of these whilst they are currently on special offer.

http://switchkites.com/controller4x.html
The new one has really cushy soft ends, soft grip and a PU depower line, and PU leader lines. No width adjustment anymore though. Haven't ridden it yet (probably sunday first chance on wind) so I cannot tell if the PU will stick to the bar a lot or not (I hate that with PU bars... ) I like the firm grip from the V2, but a bit softer wont be a problem, as long as it's not Ozone soft. I wonder if all that cushyness will last 500+ hrs and 4 years too....

I don't think the high Y split option would cause any damage. Switch doesn't use some crappy plastic part, but a simple dyneema loop with a ring attached. The frontline has an extra piece of line spliced into it at the Y point, so the dyneema loop stays nicely in place.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:50 pm

cleepa wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:28 am
Personally, I would much rather have unsheathed lines. It means that you can easily see when they wear out. It also makes them easier to replace.
Me too.
iblocalsurfer wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:16 am
Second the Slingshot Compstick. Seems like the lines and bar never wear. You give up a little comfort on the bar though(less cushy).
Ditto.

In any case, bare 5mm trim lines are dirt cheap and easy and quick to replace.

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Another thing I don't really get is different line strengths. Why not make them all 500kg just.in case somehow the loaf gets transferred. Also does no one put loops on the end of steering lines so I can can flag my kite out if it gets super gnarly and my shit gets tangled or it's too windy to safely land my kite alone?

PugetSoundKiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Re:

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:55 pm
[...use Jerry Brown braided lines in custom made line sets
Agree :thumb: <DIY Link> & <Q-power Info Link>
toddsphresh wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:08 pm
Another thing I don't really get is different line strengths. Why not make them all 500kg...
- 800# Jerry Brown center lines for durability and no more stretch after pre-stretch & 1 session
- 500# Jerry Brown steering lines for less drag and plenty strong
- DIY for custom lengths, extension lines, repairs & replacements

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Stretching technique seems to be very important. I spend about 3 hours making one set (2 front lines, no back lines) with Jerry Brown line.

My technique is a bit more dangerous that the "fuse/car" method, but produces a superior set of lines to that technique.

I on 800lb Jerry brown line, I stretch for:

10 seconds at 300lb
20 seconds at 400lb
30 seconds at 500lb,
50 seconds at 600lb - the relax line and walk it out bending full length between your fingers
50 seconds at 650lb - Repeat relax & walk out
30 seconds at 500lb
20 seconds at 550 lb
10 seconds at 600lb
5 seconds at 600lb
5 seconds at 600lb

Alternating back and fourth between lines as I am stretching, this short interval at the end ensures that the lines rebound at the same rate on each line when I am finished stretching and begin making my end terminations (one end is already done on each line). Lots of time involved in this, but worth it for feel of kite. I can't go back to factory lines anymore.

alford
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:17 am

Matteo V, Please explain or supply a link to your line stretch method, how do you actually stretch the lines, what equipment is needed?

Return to “Kitesurfing”