Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gummy spot on neck seal

forum for kitesurfers

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54
Brand Affiliation: None

Gummy spot on neck seal

Postby matth » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:17 pm

I took my Drysuit out the other day to check it out for the cold season that's around the corner and notice a soft spot(gummy) on the back side of my neck seal. I think I must have left some seal saver on there and it soften the seal up.
Is there a way to reverse this, I have tried flushing with soap and water but it still remains gummy. Also is there a way to patch the seal. I am trying to avoid replacing the entire seal because it is in great shape otherwise..

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gummy spot on neck seal

Postby yomotha » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:41 am

I had a drysuit that this happened to as well and it's basically due to the rubber degrading and breaking down (I stored it poorly). As I recall, I couldn't fix it other than cutting off the gummy part of the seal, but some sections were way too big and I would have been cutting off too much of the seal for it to work effectively. Replacement was the only viable solution at that point.

Perhaps there is some way to fix it that I never found.

Return to “Kitesurfing”