Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What are best wetsuits for winter windy extreme conditions?

Forum for kitesurfers
fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: What are best wetsuits for winter windy extreme conditions?

Postby fogmeister » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:29 pm

i ride in that suit all winter 33 degree water and 30 degree air as well...........i do highly recommend a windbreaker over top like a mystic storm jacket.....warm as can be.....have never even felt a cool sensation even sitting in the water. I have and older np 6/5/4 in which i feel cool in the same conditions.....so ya do it especially for the price.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:32 pm

while you are at it get the 8mm xcel made for winter bootie.......never cold toes or heels........and the 7mm mitts....good as gold!!

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:49 am

Another vote for an xcel here. I used to love my O'Neil suits, but have found the xcel's much, much warmer.

Another thing to consider on cold days, get a wind proof top, they help a lot.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:03 am

Xcel is great, so is ripcurl.

I have a 3/2 flashbomb and it functions like my old 4/3. That furry lining is just amazing

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:20 am

In my opinion the tipping point between wet vs. dry really is 0C. If you’re below zero for much of the season I think you’re in drysuit territory. While I second those on the thread NOT recommending drysuits for the same reasons. You’re fucked if it rips on you relatively far from shore and you won’t know it until you feel water filling the suit, ie. when it’s too late. Goes without saying, in sub-zero you have only a few minutes before hypothermia sets in (I have plenty of experience cap-sizing boats). That’ll be even worse if you’ve got to jump out of a ripped drysuit on land and the wind is howling. There also isn’t much help on-shore during my winter season if things get dicey.

The full RipCurl FlashBomb (6/4 with hood, boots and gloves) will do the trick. It’s the warmest and fastest drying from what I hear. Many use it where I ride. Price will also make your eyes water but it is seen as the best of the best. XCel and C-skins are also good options.

I use a 5/4 ION Strike Amp Skin (3/2 hood, 4/2 gloves and 6/4 boots) which ION themselves state 0-9C water temperature. I generally don’t go out below 5C because windchill is a big factor here in Denmark and sessions are always shorter, but I’m continue to be impressed with just how much windchill protection it offers me. Great option at a much more affordable price and also a lighter and more flexible suit than most thicker neoprene options. Not worth it if you’re dealing with temps below zero though. By the way, I’ve noticed there are some vest/hoodie combos that offer 1mm on your torso and the 3/2 thickness on the hoodie. If I got that I’d be riding 6/4 with the windchill protection. By there are several ways to get the right setup. I’ve got 2 suits that cover me pretty much all year. Maybe there’s a week or two I won’t get out but that really not a big deal.

Page 40/41: https://www.ion-products.com/uploads/tx ... -DS_01.pdf

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:03 pm

5/4 with integrated hood. I prefer not to get cold water shot down my back when I crash. And I crash a lot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”