Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Cabrinha Fireball vs slider rope

Postby Bartolo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Anybody has experience with the fireball compared to a slider rope bar? Is it similar as good for strapless toeside riding as a slider rope bar?

I have a Prolimit Vapor hardshell harness and defintely need something other than a fixed hook for waveriding so the harness can stay in its fixed position. Used the Dynabar in the past but didn't really like it (though ok for waveriding), especially not when cruising upwind since it tends to pull you downwind with my body. So wondering if the fireball might really mean an improvement for toeside surfboard riding.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha Fireball vs slider rope.

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:11 am

The slider is way better. Fireball is all about marketing claiming it changes the pull directions etc. but really that's what a slider actually does, the Fireball is just a chickenloop you can't do unhooked tricks with

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 am

Bartolo wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:41 pm
Anybody has experience with the fireball compared to a slider rope bar? Is it similar as good for strapless toeside riding as a slider rope bar?

I have a Prolimit Vapor hardshell harness and defintely need something other than a fixed hook for waveriding so the harness can stay in its fixed position. Used the Dynabar in the past but didn't really like it (though ok for waveriding), especially not when cruising upwind since it tends to pull you downwind with my body. So wondering if the fireball might really mean an improvement for toeside surfboard riding.
I have used both systems. The Fireball is a very good choice for general riding in any discipline except for unhooked. What it does not provide is the movement that a rope slider does when riding toeside. The Fireball pulls from the centre while the rope slider put the pull on your hip. But, with a rope slider, as you know ,it moves most of the time. Fireball will be centred and very close to your core which is a great feature of the Fireball.
I use a rope slider on my Ride Engine. I like the feel toeside better than the Fireball provides.I use this on SB and Foil.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:30 am

Yup, +1 for bigwave
The other difference I have noticed is if the rope slider goes all the way to the hip you do lose some depower when toeside. If you are really wound up, it makes a difference. You have to shorten the rope slide or use the trim strap more.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:11 am
The slider is way better. Fireball is all about marketing claiming it changes the pull directions etc. but really that's what a slider actually does, the Fireball is just a chickenloop you can't do unhooked tricks with
So you have used Fireball extensively in comparison riding toeside, or this is just your opinion?

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 pm
So you have used Fireball extensively in comparison riding toeside, or this is just your opinion?
It doesn't matter if he used it extensively, or not -- it is a matter of simple physics/mechanics. The slider moves to the hips, and fireball doesn't. And if you are constrained in how much the connection point can be shifted/offset, no amount of cool aid is going to help.
These users thanked the author tegirinenashi for the post:
iriejohn (Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Bartolo
Medium Poster

Postby Bartolo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:57 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 pm
It doesn't matter if he used it extensively, or not -- it is a matter of simple physics/mechanics. The slider moves to the hips, and fireball doesn't. And if you are constrained in how much the connection point can be shifted/offset, no amount of cool aid is going to help.
Well it does matter to me, as I am asking if anybody has any experience with both systems. What do I gain by just another opinion not based on any experience? Useless!

Bartolo
Medium Poster

Postby Bartolo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 pm

bigwave wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 am
Bartolo wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:41 pm

I have used both systems. The Fireball is a very good choice for general riding in any discipline except for unhooked. What it does not provide is the movement that a rope slider does when riding toeside. The Fireball pulls from the centre while the rope slider put the pull on your hip. But, with a rope slider, as you know ,it moves most of the time. Fireball will be centred and very close to your core which is a great feature of the Fireball.
I use a rope slider on my Ride Engine. I like the feel toeside better than the Fireball provides.I use this on SB and Foil.
Thanks!
Have you been using the dynabar slider as well? I do, I gave it several tries last couple of years but never sticked to it. Used it today again and it's really fine when riding waves and making turns etc. But when I have to sail back upwind I really don't like it because the chickenloop tends to move to one hipside and then starts pulling my body too much downwind. I can't get used to it. I have to turn my body in the direction of the kite to keep the chickenloop in the middel of the rope and I feel that's not a good body position to ride upwind. My daughter is using the Ride Eng as well and she says she never had any problem with this, but the RE has a much shorter rope width. I wonder if this would make a difference.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Bartolo wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 pm
...I am asking if anybody has any experience with both systems. What do I gain by just another opinion not based on any experience? Useless!
You can just saw the hook off and get much better pivot system (save some $$ too):
fireball.png
Still, not as good as fully functioning slider for wavering.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Bartolo,you are very welcome. My first experience with a rope slider system was with a Dynabar. Personally, I did not like it. My experience with it was like yours. The two sliders i use currently are the Ride Engine and I use the Dakine Option Spreader bar with the Dakine C-1.
I use the Dakine Hook from the Option Bar on the RE which saves rope and Chicken Loop wear. The only negative of using a hook on the RE is it puts the Chicken Loop further away from you. With both systems, I have no issues with body position when riding upwind or carving. Both are 12'' spreader bars.

:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”