Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Re: Cabrinha Fireball vs slider rope.

Postby Bartolo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 pm

bigwave wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 pm
Bartolo,you are very welcome. My first experience with a rope slider system was with a Dynabar. Personally, I did not like it. My experience with it was like yours. The two sliders i use currently are the Ride Engine and I use the Dakine Option Spreader bar with the Dakine C-1.
I use the Dakine Hook from the Option Bar on the RE which saves rope and Chicken Loop wear. The only negative of using a hook on the RE is it puts the Chicken Loop further away from you. With both systems, I have no issues with body position when riding upwind or carving. Both are 12'' spreader bars.

:thumb:
Thanks again. That Dakine hook is interesting as well, since it may be fixed as well. When do you use each different harness? Wave vs freeride/style?

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007

Postby Bartolo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:30 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 pm
Bartolo wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 pm
...I am asking if anybody has any experience with both systems. What do I gain by just another opinion not based on any experience? Useless!
You can just saw the hook off and get much better pivot system (save some $$ too):

fireball.png
Still, not as good as fully functioning slider for wavering.
Yeah, you are right, that's a possiblity too. I kind of use the same now:
Attachments
IMG_20170826_163800.jpg

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RadDrDuke » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:53 am

I've used both. For regular TT riding I still use a chickenloop. For foil/surf I now use a slider rope.

I truly don't see the value to the Fireball system, maybe someone somewhere likes it but I'm sure noone likes it as much as the Cabrinha marketing guys.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:43 am

Bartolo wrote:
tegirinenashi wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:57 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 pm
So you have used Fireball extensively in comparison riding toeside, or this is just your opinion?
It doesn't matter if he used it extensively, or not -- it is a matter of simple physics/mechanics. The slider moves to the hips, and fireball doesn't. And if you are constrained in how much the connection point can be shifted/offset, no amount of cool aid is going to help.
Well it does matter to me, as I am asking if anybody has any experience with both systems. What do I gain by just another opinion not based on any experience? Useless!

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:48 am

Bartolo wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 pm
bigwave wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 pm
Bartolo,you are very welcome. My first experience with a rope slider system was with a Dynabar. Personally, I did not like it. My experience with it was like yours. The two sliders i use currently are the Ride Engine and I use the Dakine Option Spreader bar with the Dakine C-1.
I use the Dakine Hook from the Option Bar on the RE which saves rope and Chicken Loop wear. The only negative of using a hook on the RE is it puts the Chicken Loop further away from you. With both systems, I have no issues with body position when riding upwind or carving. Both are 12'' spreader bars.

Thanks again. That Dakine hook is interesting as well, since it may be fixed as well. When do you use each different harness? Wave vs freeride/style?
The Dakine Option Bar works very well as a slider. It uses a strap to immobilize the hook. You have to remove the strap if you want the hook to slide. Not a 30sec job to put it back.
We sell both Ride Engine and Dakine. I use each one equally. The C-1 is slightly more comfortable than the RE but not as stiff.
One thing I will say about the Fireball, it will make any harness feel better! It couldn't believe the difference when i used it with the Dakine C-1. If Cabrinha came out with a slider Fireball I would use it for sure!

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Bartolo wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:30 pm
tegirinenashi wrote:
Bartolo wrote:
...I am asking if anybody has any experience with both systems. What do I gain by just another opinion not based on any experience? Useless!
You can just saw the hook off and get much better pivot system (save some $$ too):

fireball.png
Why a ring in addition to the loop? Do you get more of a pivoting action?

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007

Postby Bartolo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm

alford wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:39 pm
Bartolo wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:30 pm
tegirinenashi wrote:

fireball.png
Why a ring in addition to the loop? Do you get more of a pivoting action?
No that's mainly because the chickenloop might get stuck when I released the quick release. So too be better safe than sorry I added the ring (actually using two rings now to protect the chickenloop, two rings give more surface)

Downwind-missile
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 200
Local Beach: Pine Point
Style: Foil Jumper
Gear: LF impulse foil, cabrinha switchblades, cabrinha apollo's, ikon empire
Has thanked: 0

Postby Downwind-missile » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:15 am

I'm just here looking for ideas/hardware on how to convert my backup fireball bar's QR into a rope slider setup. I endured the fireball for several months before getting a rope slider so I have some experience with it to chime in.

The fireball pulls from a point closer to your body, so it's better than a hook. The rope slider does that even better, and also shifts the pull side-to-side which makes it better for riding toeside. With your hook or the rope slider, the quick release will stay oriented the same way all the time, and you can use the little swivel above the QR to untwist your lines. With the hook or rope slider, the leash goes to the flag out line and since it's not swiveling down there it never tangles or wraps up.

The thing that makes the fireball a pain, and maybe dangerous, is that it can also swivel below the quick release. The ball-socket connection can spin around while you are riding. And it does just that. Even if you aren't looping the kite, and aren't doing rotations, just mowing the lawn that fireball will start to rotate around. So the center lines aren't twisted above the bar, but the whole QR piece between the upper swivel and the fireball is slowly spinning. While it spins around it wraps all of your leash around it. Even with a short leash, it can get a few wraps around it. If it wraps down low then it binds against the fireball. If it wraps higher, up around the QR shaft, then it blocks the QR from pushing out. So all the time you're worried about this thing taking up your leash and twisting it and maybe not being able to release in an emergency. It is made with nice materials, it feels rugged, it should work great...I couldn't stand it, haha.

When I finally switched to the rope slider I felt like an idiot for waiting so long. I am hoping to find a snap shackle with fixed bail (can't have it swivel below the QR!) or some kind of carabiner or ring to be able to use the fireball QR with a slider. The new modular QR system has a nice looking slider connector but it won't work with the fireball QR, sadly.
These users thanked the author Downwind-missile for the post (total 2):
Kamikuza (Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:31 am) • Dave_5280 (Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:57 am)
Rating: 6.06%

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi,

I am using a fireball bar with a modified lower section. Compact and efficient, I really like it.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-13 at 12.06.26.jpeg
V9vePAt7TsSNFmQbLNoanA_thumb_2c43.jpg

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:04 pm

Downwind-missile wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:15 am
The thing that makes the fireball a pain, and maybe dangerous, is that it can also swivel below the quick release.
While I 100% agree with this and I made a post on here complaining/warning people about it back around the time of this original post I will say that after living exclusively with fireball for the last 3 years it's not that bad. You get used to the habit of checking and unspinning your fireball and if you aren't wearing thick gloves it's really not that hard.

I will also say that for me, fireball is so much better than any of the rope sliders I had tried before it. The connection is both solid and smooth and allows great freedom of movement for both surfing and foiling without the nasty shifts of pull orientation you get with a slider. On top of that it's amazing for boosting and airs, something which rope sliders are horrible at.

For me I'll be riding fireball as long as Cabrinha keeps selling it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”