forum for kitesurfers

PanTau
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: wingworks.de

Re: DIY onestrut kite

Postby PanTau » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Three degrees in the center and less at the wingtips should be fine.

Regarding the cell count there is a very big difference between foil kites (and paragliders) and tube kites. They don't need ribs to shape the profile and keep the thickness constant.
But having a very low panel count on a tube kite causes wrinkles in the sail because in the air you will have a round shaped trailing edge and "corners" in the leading edge.
You get a clean sail without wrinkles by either increasing the number of panels or adding spanwise konvex seams.

Changing the panel count is very easy with my software. It's just a parameter but it rapidly increases the amount of work.
To get a round sail shape I added konvex spanwize seams . Easier to sew and they have almost the same effect.
I will add an option to create and unfold a "constant curve" leading edge to my software. Never really thought about that but I like the idea. Thanks Mr. Hansen!

I will also publish a new version of the Ventus and Agilus with a higher number of panels within the next days. And also a 10sqm version of the Agilus.

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitexpert » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:50 pm

:thumb:

Yes, if you have twice as much parts there is twice as much seams to sew. Double work.

Constant curve LE indeed looks good and has less drag than angular one. But how much this benefits in practice, hard to say. No doubt Switch LE structure is very good, if not the best there is.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m

Postby Bletti » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 am

Hansen Design wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:14 pm
Hello Kitexpert:
Looks cool!
I'm currently testing these for hydrofoil use. Both have either straight (luffable) or profiled user remove-able center struts and short fixed no pulley bridles. True 9sqm weight is 2Kg without strut, 2.5kg with.
Cheers!
Hansen-MSR-1a.jpg
Hansen-MSR-2a.jpg
Looks good Bill!!

Is that going to eventually be a switch kite or marketed elsewhere? I'd love to get my hands on a smaller one.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:08 am

Hansen Design wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:23 pm
Understand the bladder(s) are a significant portion of the weight at about 115gm/sqm. Around 500gm on a 9sqm monostrut kite not including valves.
Do you have any ideas on how to get rid of bladders? Or use a different material for them?

Have you looked at trying to add internal structure to bladders so they inflate to a non-cylindrical shape (like SUP boards do)?

It seems that there is a lot we could improve with bladders. A metallised plastic film would be lighter and possibly cheaper...

PanTau
Medium Poster

Postby PanTau » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 am

I would rather have a "tubeless" lei kite as known from bicycle tyres.
Would require an airtight dacron and some kind of milk to seal the seams.

But until now we only get more ripstop threads :o :o :o

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:17 am

PanTau wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 am
I would rather have a "tubeless" lei kite as known from bicycle tyres.
Would require an airtight dacron and some kind of milk to seal the seams.

But until now we only get more ripstop threads :o :o :o
Out of interest, why?

I'm more familiar with tubeless tyres from mountain biking where they want to run very low pressures and you risk pinch flats with a conventional inner tube. I'm less familiar with racing tyres but I believe that the primary reason is because the very narrow tyres don't clinch as well onto the wheel in the small sizes (19-21c) that they use.

The theoretical weight advantage (and I use the word theoretical because leak protector is injected which rolls around in the middle) is due to the use of latex for the inner tube which is heavy (because the inner tubes aren't tyre specific so have to expand into whatever gap they find themselves). Kites use a much lighter bladder material so you wouldn't have the weight benefits you get from a bicycle.

Maybe that Best CubanFibre would have worked better with a bit of Stan's sealant in them?

PanTau
Medium Poster

Postby PanTau » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:53 am

Companies have to develop and test new materials and to change the manufacturing process to build bladderless kites.
One option would be to use tpu coated dacron and to weld (+ sew?) the seams.
Lot's of advantages but also a high invest for a kite company.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:11 pm

@ Bletti - As a cost-saving measure, Switch has eliminated all in-house product development and testing in favor of outsourcing. As a result, I no longer have any involvement with Switch and the last 6-8 months of my kite development including the monostrut series has mostly been discontinued by them. I am currently working on designs independently.

@ kjorn & PanTau - I am also working with a major materials supplier on alternative lightweight bladder materials and bladderless construction. Indeed, it seems beyond the the level of investment of most current kite companies but I am continuing to approach them in this regard. It will eventually happen as new technologies are embraced by progressive brands and their suppliers.

Anyone wishing to contact me on these subjects or other R&D projects can PM here or email to hansenaerosports(at)gmail(dot)com

Cheers!
-- Bill Hansen

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Hansen Design wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:11 pm
@ Bletti - As a cost-saving measure, Switch has eliminated all in-house product development and testing in favor of outsourcing. As a result, I no longer have any involvement with Switch and the last 6-8 months of my kite development including the monostrut series has mostly been discontinued by them. I am currently working on designs independently.
WHAT?! What does this mean for the Nitro 7? The guys on my beach swear by the Nitros for boosting and freeriding. How can they develop a new version without the designer (you) being involved?
Hansen Design wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:11 pm
@ kjorn & PanTau - I am also working with a major materials supplier on alternative lightweight bladder materials and bladderless construction. Indeed, it seems beyond the the level of investment of most current kite companies but I am continuing to approach them in this regard. It will eventually happen as new technologies are embraced by progressive brands and their suppliers.

Anyone wishing to contact me on these subjects or other R&D projects can PM here or email to hansenaerosports(at)gmail(dot)com

Cheers!
-- Bill Hansen
What are your thoughts on open source kites? And on open sourcing plans for old kites? I'd like to see the Nitro 5 open sourced. It's not like Switch are ever going to make it again, it's a shame to think that the kite will be forgotten and never made again. I'm sure everyone would learn from an army of tinkerers trying new stuff with old kite designs. Ultra thin leading edges. No struts. Lots of struts. Different foil shapes. etc

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Cabo 7 and 9m, Naish Trip 10m, Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil

Postby Peert » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:48 am

Open source older designs? Like Nitro 5 etc? Will thankfully be embraced by the Chinese... especially if they can be marketed as such.

Return to “Kitesurfing”