Saved by the wrist strap

forum for kitesurfers

JaZone
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Saved by the wrist strap

Postby JaZone » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Have to concur with the general consensus here, that the method you're using doesn't look safe.
I would use something like this if I was looking for a solution to the problem you are experiencing.

http://www.besskymall.com/besskymall12/ ... 29696.jpg

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:27 pm

I tore both wrists badly from too many all day sessions, excessive bar pressure combined with some acute injuries. Soft tissue injuries can heal very slowly. I recommend that you don't use that wrist strap arrangement lest you cause new injuries, TBI, smashed face, etc.. It is all relative. I bought and tried a bunch of stuff including windsurfing wrist "hooks", plastic wrist braces, lifting wrist braces with hooks, etc.. All that crap is just too dangerous when handling a powered kite control bar and should be avoided. The best things I did to improve my wrists included:

1. Back way off on duration and frequency of kite sessions. I would skip a week or more and if I went out limit it to an hour or so. In time you should be able to go out longer. You have to do this to allow some healing to occur.
2. Setup for the least bar pressure possible through kite, board and bar size selection. Go out in optimal wind vs. your setup. I found going out in stronger wind required less holding the bar in with associated wrist irritation.
3. Wear wrist braces such as https://www.amazon.com/BraceUP%C2%AE-Wr ... 66&sr=1-11
4. Find a good doctor to evaluate, adjust and help heal your wrists through PT.
5. Avoid messing up the area through excess or improper lifting, carpal issues through computer use if you can manage it.

Other things included: Ice water immersion of your wrists about three times a day for no more than ten minutes to help reduce inflammation. If you have time, most don't, you could alternate with hot water bathes.

Resign yourself to backing off for a while and if you work at it you be back in time. Good luck!

br44
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Wrist straps have been in use in power kiting for a long time. What I shared here is an adaptation. If you don't want to insert your hand, you could hold on to the strap (2nd picture). That doesn't offer the full support that someone with actual wrist pain may need (ouch), but still has the benefit of letting you keep your wrist straight and rotate your hand as it feels best, even when pulling at odd angles (e.g. sheeting in and turning).

A minimal amount of testing is helpful (I would imagine...?) before one can actually figure out how well this may work for wrist pain, and whether it's something that could be trusted in various circumstances. Based on my experience, the wrist strap, if large enough, is very easy to get out of (actually you have to keep holding it, otherwise it will slip). But that's something that only your personal testing can confirm, or not.
IMG_4880.JPG
IMG_4881.JPG
IMG_4881.JPG (23.91 KiB) Viewed 440 times

Mad_dan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Bigair and airstyle
Gear: Core XR4 13.5
Core GTS3 11m
Core GTS4 9m
Core XR 6m
Tronic.
Naish mega
Airrush slayer
Airsusv sector
Crazyfly cruizer

Postby Mad_dan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 am
Did you read my story? This guy who helped me lives in Norway too !
I read it Toby ;-), to bad he lives 2000km away. Have got an apointment with a therapist who specializes in acupuncture and Chinese medicine in Oslo who have a lot of experiences in this area. realy hope it can solve my problemes....

dazarter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:48 pm

i dont see the problem with the wrist strap, you dont want to be jumping or doning tricks with just a strap but for normal riding no problem - the padded version would offer less of a risk and allow you to get out easier...

I also have a few problems with the tennis elbow crap- it is good to change your kites to ones that have very low bar pressure - you get used to the feeling after a while.... also a real thin bar helps the problem...
shorter sessions help as well as not to kite too often - try some other sports like mountain biking - sup etc etc ....too much of a good thing is never good for you :lol:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Mad_dan wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm
Toby wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 am
Did you read my story? This guy who helped me lives in Norway too !
I read it Toby ;-), to bad he lives 2000km away. Have got an apointment with a therapist who specializes in acupuncture and Chinese medicine in Oslo who have a lot of experiences in this area. realy hope it can solve my problemes....
Good luck for it! And let us know what he did and how it went !

br44
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:54 pm

RickI wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:27 pm
I tore both wrists badly from too many all day sessions, excessive bar pressure combined with some acute injuries. Soft tissue injuries can heal very slowly.
Thanks. Your experience sounds extreme. I am aware of all of these options (and also those mentioned in prior posts). The strange thing is that after 5 consecutive days of riding with a wrist strap (well it was a windy vacation) my wrist pain is..... gone. As far as I can tell, those hours of having my wrist stretched and/or compressed by the strap while kiting somehow put my tendons back together (wrist and back of hand). Needless to say, I will be very careful going forward.

Return to “Kitesurfing”