Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite companies - please stop the wakestyle hype!

forum for kitesurfers

KimAndersen
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite companies - please stop the wakestyle hype!

Postby KimAndersen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:27 am

Hmm have no idea how half of that ended up in bold letters.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: Kite companies - please stop the wakestyle hype!!!

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:16 pm

downunder wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:33 am
Well, as I see it you just wrote that it IS different. Huge difference. Be fair and say, can you reach the bar? Particularly on a long leash? Some just loove super long leashes for you know what. Man, I've seen kites ripped from TE to LE with crashed unhooked moves. C'ish kites. That's how they slam, with that force, I feel sorry for the kites. Really. Remember, I do 100-200 sessions per year, and seeing a lot.

The second statement in bold. Really? You would do that? They must love you there :) Earnestly, I would love to see how you look, and if you would do that if tiny, skinny and in overall small built person faced with 90kg bull...
I've seen kites rip TE to LE from hooked crashes as well. Shit I almost did that + a LE blow out while hooked in.

Yeah people like a beach that doesn't have people doing dumb shit. It's not just yelling at people but also helping noobs who don't know the etiquette or the best way to approach the spot, or opinions on gear helping out the local beach shop that demos gear.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:53 pm

When I do wakestyle I am always in control :lol:
I guess I need some boots :roll:
Attachments
wakestyle.PNG

Pemba
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Ozone C4, Brokite Hybrid

Postby Pemba » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:02 am

Speaking of wakestyle vs freeride, I find it surprising how few people appear to use the WOO freestyle mode. Once you've kited a few times in lots of wind the big air mode would lose some of its attraction ? While in the freestyle mode you can keep on pushing yourself or increasing your score in most winds. Maybe the limitation is that it kind of forces you to do wakestyle, as opposed to hooked in freestyle. Still surprising/disappointing though.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:54 am

What's the Woo freestyle mode?
It counts rotations and landing forces?

If so guess why?
The Woo riders I know only do basic tricks.
They don't push further, stay in their comfort zone.
Sure, becomes boring. But with the Woo they can daily reach a result, being best on a spot, region, country etc. plus they can be daily better than their friends. That's their push.

Same like me, my push is my progression by landing new tricks every time. Would be bored without.

So, it's good to have tools like Woo to keep people stoked and going.

Pemba
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Ozone C4, Brokite Hybrid

Postby Pemba » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:02 pm

The new (2.0) WOO's have a "big air" mode as well as a "freestyle" mode. But the freestyle is pretty much wakestyle as I indicated before - if the kite is redirected during the trick, it gets almost no points. But you can push yourself in most wind conditions. I'm pretty much alone where I kite and while I have a loooong way to go, competing against myself in 16 knots gets boring. So practicing wakestyle tricks becomes more attractive than improving jumping technique in low/average wind. I thought this might apply to more people but apparently surprisingly few..

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:57 pm

sounds interesting. How accurate is it?

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core
Brand Affiliation: Ukraine Slingshot Team Rider

Postby zloilyoha » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:57 pm
sounds interesting. How accurate is it?
well, its kinda learning...
woo keep improving it though
but the only thing it`s does not do is detecting are you loose the bar or not, so if you will drop the bar but still lands nice and clean woo will counts it like a trick))

DWX
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:06 pm

I’m actually sorry I fell for this bogus thread! Joke is on me.

I have no prob laughing at myself!

Not sure why you can’t just debate like normal human beings and understand the rules of debates: you must be able to defend both sides of an issue before you can reach basic understanding of the problematic on the table. Usually the truth emerges in the course of dialectical reasoning. It’s not pre-determined. That’s the point of arguments. But a lot of ppl here are just offended by intelligence and prefer to be abusive and aggressive. Glad I hit back. Not paddling back on that, but I do regret getting involved at all.

This thread is truly idiotic. Wow!

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Copenhagen
Favorite Beaches: Thy (Denmark) and Dhakla (Morocco)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Jedi Wannabe
Gear: XR5 & Fusion 3
Brand Affiliation: CORE, ION, Brunotti, Gul, SurfEars and always looking to demo..

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:06 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:23 am
As the title says it - the whole kite community might benefit greatly if kite companies would stop hyping wakestyle as the epiphany of kiteboarding. At least in promotional videos.

Wakestyle and unhooking is stupid, unhealthy, it has no visual flow and worst of all - at best maybe 1 out of 50 average Joe-s really gives a f@#k.

Don't take my word for it - just show up on any crowded spot on a good day, out of 100 kites there will be some teamriders who do wake because they have to, there will be some broke wonnabes who ride better on mid-2000s C-kites of eBay than the sponsored teamriders, and everybody else - these who make the sales - are just minding their own business, enjoying a good day on water, surfing, pumping an ocasional boost, raving about the day when they'd have enough cojones to throw a megaloop... Nobody cares about- wakestyle - nobody!!!

Dear kite companies, if you want to sell us more "newer and better" crap - and you do - show us more cool and solid kiting (free hint: take a lesson or two from Nick Jacobsen and Kevin) - and your sales along with public's reaction to promotional materials might just do tons better! At least - give it a try! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
While I don’t know Nick personally, I see him often *wakestyling* at local beaches here in CPH. Pretty sure he would tell you to grab a tissue. Kevin probably would too. Just guessing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”