2018 Naish Slash

Forum for kitesurfers
jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 Naish Slash

Postby jonysan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi Flyboy, I was thinking about your last post, and our styles of onshore riding, In the style you are describing, where you are doing cutbacks to ride both left and right along the wave, ( heel and toeside gybes on same wave towards the beach) then the Pivot would do this perfectly, as you said, the kite will be making fast 180 degree turns across the wind window, with hopefully controllable power spikes, and not having to stay in a slack line condition for too long.
Cheers.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:11 pm

Bournemouth ... and Mauritius?! Well, I guess you've got all the angles covered!

I really don't expect that I will be thinking that I "should have got a different kite". For the last few years I have been using Cabos in 9m, 7m & 5m & NRGs in 10m & 12m. The Cabos are nice, quick turning wave kites, but have poor low end & suck for jumping. Locally, I don't get waves without at least 20 knots, so that set up was fine. Every winter I have been spending a few weeks in Cabarete. There, in the winter, there are often days with decent waves but winds around 15 knots. Underpowered on a 9m Cabo, I discovered that NRGs - flattish profiled, powerful, jumping kites - are terrible for kiting in the waves. The two kite styles are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I now have an 11m Cabo, so I'm all set. My daughter's using 10m & 8m NRGs & needs something more suitable for wave kiting, including in the RD. Clearly, the Slash & Pivot are both reasonable choices - just trying to ascertain whether the Pivot is enough "better" to justify the higher cost ... or better to look for a used 2017 Pivot.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:15 pm

Also ... whether a 10m or an 11m would be the best bet, considering it would be her "large kite".

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 pm

The Pivot will probably have a better/higher resale value, and that's probably why it's the more expensive of the two kites you are looking at. as there are more people interested in a Freeride, Boosting, Wave kite. than a kite marketed as Wave orientated.
I weigh 76K and my largest kite is a 12 Pivot, used up to 21/22 knots. when I definitely overpowered. sweet spot is 13 to 18 knt. I'm guessing your daughter would get overpowered too quickly on the 11 at your home conditions, difficult call, although I'm often out on a 12 when some are on 10's. I reckon 10 !

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:12 am

jonysan wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 pm
The Pivot will probably have a better/higher resale value, and that's probably why it's the more expensive of the two kites you are looking at. as there are more people interested in a Freeride, Boosting, Wave kite. than a kite marketed as Wave orientated.
I weigh 76K and my largest kite is a 12 Pivot, used up to 21/22 knots. when I definitely overpowered. sweet spot is 13 to 18 knt. I'm guessing your daughter would get overpowered too quickly on the 11 at your home conditions, difficult call, although I'm often out on a 12 when some are on 10's. I reckon 10 !
I think you're right about that, but that's why I'm wondering how different the two kites really are. Also, my guess is that the Slash kites are on sale for less than the Pivots because Naish over-produced them - most buyers stuck with the tried & tested Pivot. I'm 80 kg & can use my 11m Cabo n anything over 12 kts. Could use it up to 21/22 kts, but would normally be on my 9m once it gets into the high teens.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:01 am

jonysan wrote:
Yeah something like that. It's curious but it seems like Naish kites takes a few years to work themselves into the market...then they become best sellers. I got the pivot just on a recommendation, but I was hesitant because I liked the Parks / Park HD so much. I mean it didn't take long to convert me and my whole quiver, but most of my buddies were 1-3 seasons behind. So then the Slash came out, and one of the guys here on KF got converted pretty much immediately, and I was damn, but I like my pivots so much. I finally got a 7 slash and holy shit what a kite for waves. Now I have more slashes.

The kites are definitely different and for a guy like me, my small kites are usually for wave riding and now foil...the slash is pretty much a perfect mix...that also jumps really high and predictably without pulling as hard as the pivot. Pivot is more grunty and definitely a tad more aggressive. Once you ride the kites, you definitely feel a difference. The 2019 versions have these crazy thin struts that lighten the kite quite a bit.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:22 pm

tautologies wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:01 am
jonysan wrote:
Yeah something like that. It's curious but it seems like Naish kites takes a few years to work themselves into the market...then they become best sellers. I got the pivot just on a recommendation, but I was hesitant because I liked the Parks / Park HD so much. I mean it didn't take long to convert me and my whole quiver, but most of my buddies were 1-3 seasons behind. So then the Slash came out, and one of the guys here on KF got converted pretty much immediately, and I was damn, but I like my pivots so much. I finally got a 7 slash and holy shit what a kite for waves. Now I have more slashes.

The kites are definitely different and for a guy like me, my small kites are usually for wave riding and now foil...the slash is pretty much a perfect mix...that also jumps really high and predictably without pulling as hard as the pivot. Pivot is more grunty and definitely a tad more aggressive. Once you ride the kites, you definitely feel a difference. The 2019 versions have these crazy thin struts that lighten the kite quite a bit.
The new Slash is different ?

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:58 pm

tautologies wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:01 am
Yeah, I wonder about this too. Tautologies, have you compared the 2018 and 2019 Slash size by size? Already on 2018 they reduced the LE and for 2019 Naish state that the LE has been further tapered through the wingtip. It seems strange that it should be a massive difference. Have you also kited same size between 2018 and 2019 and can compare?

Just asking because I'm thinking of adding a 10 to my 6-8 Slash 2018 quiver and it's a huge price difference between 2018 and 2019.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:52 am

Hey yeah well...mostly for the 7. I did not ride it side by side, but my take is as follows. LE and struts are significantly thinner. I mean really significantly. The 7 recommended PSI you have to lean into. It gives a better feel to the kite in some really great ways. Super easy to turn, drifts like crazy. Its still the same overall feel in terms of how turning the kite feels on the bar, and through its power range...it still eats gusts like its nothing. I've been riding it quite a bit with my foil and can back up the kite and ride waves with my foil. I have used it with my TT..it still jumps high with great hangtime, but still feels controllable and you do not get the neck breaking pull that you can get super powered on the pivot.

So I did not get the first version of the slash, but I had the 7 in 2018 and now in 2019. To what extent you should get the 2019 I can't really answer for you. Personally I felt the new slash was different, but recognizable. The LE and struts are thin, which makes the kite lighter. It also makes the kite be able to do faster turns, it feels like to me, and riding straight towards it on a foil, the kite drifted like it was nothing., then at the end, I looped it at the center of the window to changed direction and power it back up. On surfboards, the kite was just drifting waiting for me to reengage. The reason I mention the foil, is because I kited it in much lighter winds, which would be a good way to find misbehaviors. On a surfboard, I normally ride stormy winds and the slash is fantastic. I have to say both 2018 and 2019 is great in any wave, but felt like the improvements could be felt across the performance in waves. Except maybe on the jumping. I did not feel a significant difference there.

Not I am not an extreme rider in any way so what works for me might not work for everyone. I am glad I upgraded. I like new toys.

Return to “Kitesurfing”