Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nobile splitboards. Please tell me why..

forum for kitesurfers

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Copenhagen
Favorite Beaches: Thy (Denmark) and Dhakla (Morocco)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Jedi Wannabe
Gear: XR5 & Fusion 3
Brand Affiliation: CORE, ION, Brunotti, Gul, SurfEars and always looking to demo..

Nobile splitboards. Please tell me why..

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:19 am

Full disclosure, I’ve never tried a splitboard. Never even seen one on the beach in 8 years of kitesurfing. Like many, I keep up to date with new developments and innovations and I too know what it’s like to check in with the golf bag. Nobile is now in their third or fourth year of these splitboards so I figure, by now, there must be something to it, right? Hmm..

Now, I am a Core faithful because I feel they do some very simple things extremely well. Minimalist design, superb engineering and maybe the best build quality of any kiteboarding company out there. Nobile are certainly known for having a solid reputation as well. There, now to the ranting..

I go on their website to checkout the splitboard offering only to be met with an obscene list of prices. Glass fiber boards costing what other pure carbon fibre boards retail for (WITH STRAPS!) from other producers. Their flagship carbon split option retails for no less than 1500 euros without straps and declares itself “not a wakeboard”. If you ask me, this is unacceptable. At that price you are competing with the custom format and you will be passed over (at least by me anyways) because no production board can ever compete with a custom option. For virtually the same price you can fully pimp out carved customs Imperator 6 (possibly the best board out there) and walk to a the check in counter with a board that does literally everything you need it to on the water. I don’t get it. I switched out my Fusion 2 for a 3 this summer. The Fusion 3 borrows a lot from the Imperator 6 and delivers similar performance. It is also pure carbon. I paid 2/3 the price of that nobile carbon splitboard and yes I may have a board that is not as handy, but for the same price I would only get Nobile’s low-end split option which would considerably degrade my time on the water. I don’t know what others prefer but I choose weight over size any day when picking a board. Why compromise what you know will be a worse experience on the water for minor convenience on land? I don’t get it. Please explain it to me..

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeupan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: GK vSonic 6 & 11
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Nobile splitboards. Please tell me why..

Postby rynhardt » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:38 am

Let me try..
I have a family, so I never travel alone on holiday. Not having to deal with any more grief at airline counters than are absolutely necessary, is a major plus.
Not having to go search for the oversized baggage counter when your family is waiting for you, is a major plus.
When you rent a B class vehicle and you try to fit in a family with all their luggage, not having to somehow angle your board across everyone's heads or shoulders is a big plus.
Just on that basis it's worth it.
As a matter of interest, I'm busy building a split version of my most favourite board for the next travel vacation.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeupan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: GK vSonic 6 & 11
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140

Postby rynhardt » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 am

The additional reinforcement and inserts in the middle is for the top strap of the split board.
I'm basically building a normal board and then cutting it in half.
Attachments
DSC_0104.JPG

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design

Postby decay » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 am

My take on split boards from a build point of view is you are basically making TWO boards - its sort of not surprising the price is something like double that of buying a non-split twin tip (ex pad/straps/fins etc)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:15 am

If you booked Condor to fly from Germany to Brazil and you cannot take your board bag since everyone warns to do it and the plain is full, then you wish to have a splitboard!
Happens every year again.

Or you have to fly American Airlines where they charge 150 USD one way for your kite bag...for a 1.5 hour flight...and an extra bag is just 40 USD.

And more reasons why a split board is a good idea.

Windigo1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Aylmer
Style: Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:34 pm

I have the Splitboard from KiteElement it's not bad and the price is very reasonable. It's not as smooth in the chop as my Axis Limited but most boards are not. The low end is very good. The board is very stiff you can't tell it's a split board on the water. If you go on a short trip there is a chance you might kite this will fit in a regular luggage you bring one kite and one split board and you're in business.

RadDrDuke
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Long Beach Island NJ
Favorite Beaches: Florida Keys. South Padre Island. Hatteras. Maui.
Style: Becoming more and more surf and foil
Gear: Airush kites, Crazyfly board, LF foils

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:42 pm

You can build a homemade split board without too much hassle at all, just cut board in half and make an adapter plate that connects both sides. I know two people who have done it and it takes an amateur level of skill to create (no offense guys!). You do potentially ruin a board though... Just get one of those cheap liquid force boards that are built like iron on sale for $199 and figure it out

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm

It's what the market will bear. Very small market for splitboards, and kiteboarding is already a niche sport, they are making it all by hand. Wakeboarding is a much different market.

Europ2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Europ2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:09 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 am
The additional reinforcement and inserts in the middle is for the top strap of the split board.
I'm basically building a normal board and then cutting it in half.
' Looked at in your profile .... :wink:
Why not replicating the W of your Progeni Mutare board, for me the best solution (source of serious inspiration for Nobile and flysurfer ?)
Yes, the W makes the split boards a bit longer .... half of the W length exactly ....

By the way, you are the first person I see on this forum with a mutare. Would you have a feedback for us after nearly 7 or 8 years of use ?
The clever 316 Stainless Steel Latch have never been copied by other brands, do you have an explanation ?

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:26 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:19 am
Full disclosure, I’ve never tried a splitboard. Never even seen one on the beach in 8 years of kitesurfing. Like many, I keep up to date with new developments and innovations and I too know what it’s like to check in with the golf bag. Nobile is now in their third or fourth year of these splitboards so I figure, by now, there must be something to it, right? Hmm..

Now, I am a Core faithful because I feel they do some very simple things extremely well. Minimalist design, superb engineering and maybe the best build quality of any kiteboarding company out there. Nobile are certainly known for having a solid reputation as well. There, now to the ranting..

I go on their website to checkout the splitboard offering only to be met with an obscene list of prices. Glass fiber boards costing what other pure carbon fibre boards retail for (WITH STRAPS!) from other producers. Their flagship carbon split option retails for no less than 1500 euros I paid 2/3 the price of that nobile carbon splitboard and yes I may have a board that is not as handy, but for the same price I would only get Nobile’s low-end split option which would considerably degrade my time on the water. I don’t know what others prefer but I choose weight over size any day when picking a board. Why compromise what you know will be a worse experience on the water for minor convenience on land? I don’t get it. Please explain it to me..
People who can afford it will use the split only when travelling... With kids and such, if you travel enough it seems like a good option though. I am not there yet.

So you paid 1000 euros for your board including straps :o what's an extra 500 or even just throw another 1500 then you get both boards ;)

One thing to consider is that Nobile splitboard has really good warranty, perhaps that's built into the price.

Return to “Kitesurfing”