Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nobile splitboards. Please tell me why..

forum for kitesurfers

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Leeupan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: GK vSonic 6 & 11
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Nobile splitboards. Please tell me why..

Postby rynhardt » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Europ2 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:09 pm
rynhardt wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 am
The additional reinforcement and inserts in the middle is for the top strap of the split board.
I'm basically building a normal board and then cutting it in half.
' Looked at in your profile .... :wink:
Why not replicating the W of your Progeni Mutare board, for me the best solution (source of serious inspiration for Nobile and flysurfer ?)
Yes, the W makes the split boards a bit longer .... half of the W length exactly ....

By the way, you are the first person I see on this forum with a mutare. Would you have a feedback for us after nearly 7 or 8 years of use ?
The clever 316 Stainless Steel Latch have never been copied by other brands, do you have an explanation ?
Well my wave twinny is 146cm long and my biggest suitcase is 74cm inside, so even with a straight cut its a close fit.
Unless you have the internal mounting hardware like the mutare or nobile, or you can machine an accurate scarf joint like others, a top strap is the easiest DIY option. I'll create a separate post for that build soon.
As for the Mutare, it's a good board. Stiffer than I prefer these days, but great fun in the flats. I like to ride it finless when decently powered.
I've had to patch the carbon skin here and there when running aground, but otherwise it's still in great shape.

The main reason for doing a split version of my wave twinny is that I simply love riding that particular size, shape and flex. I'm hoping to retain the flex on the split board, and I have some ideas already.

Sun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Gear: 15m Chrono V2
12m TS V5, 9m TS V6, 7m TS V6
10m Roca V2
6m Alana (2016)
CF Bulldozer
Nobile XTR

Postby Sun » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:48 am

I have a 2018 Nobile Zen Foil Spilt board on order. I cannot fit a full size surfboard in my car. Broke a Core Fusion board, so if this Zen board holds up I will be pretty impressed.

Adventure Logs
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: The world
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer Physco 4, Speed 4 Lotus, Sonic 1+2
Flysurfer Flysplit M, L
Nobile T5
Nobile Infinity Split with Zen Foil, NHP Carbon Split
Slightshot hoverglide

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:56 am

The main disadvantage of just a straight split will be the extra flex. With the W connection the board rides the same as if not split.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Leeupan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: GK vSonic 6 & 11
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140

Postby rynhardt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:13 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:56 am
The main disadvantage of just a straight split will be the extra flex. With the W connection the board rides the same as if not split.
Not really. The W connection has the advantage of not requiring external reinforcement like a strap. This gives a cleaner look, and less board parts to assemble.

If your strap has the same flex as the board then the overall flex should be the same. Before deciding to go with a straight split, I did a few experiments.
Generally speaking where the strap and the board overlaps, the board is twice as stiff.
The most highly stressed parts are where the edges of the board and strap terminates.
In the middle of the strap you want it to be as strong as the original board, but then it has to taper off to the edges so as to not cause undue stress on the board where the strap terminates.
Attachments
Su2-Sklep-banner480x200-Split-480x200.jpg
Su2-Sklep-banner480x200-Split-480x200.jpg (34.93 KiB) Viewed 404 times
download.jpg
download.jpg (3.08 KiB) Viewed 404 times
DSC_0072.JPG
DSC_0073.JPG

Europ2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Europ2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:07 pm

If you are not searching for a directional, you can get a split board from 40 €; the 2003 Saucisseman project
http://saucisseman.free.fr/dismountable.htm

For a third of the price of the Nobile, you have the RL travel board [589.00 € - (EU customers) or 490.00 € (Non-EU customers)]
https://www.kitesyndikat.de/en/kite-sho ... kiteboards

Then, for half the price of the Nobile, you have the Kitelement TT [800.00 € - (EU customers) or 661.00 € (Non-EU customers)]
https://www.kitelementshop.com/category

http://www.kitesurf-ventdefolie.fr/ seems to be dead since 2013
In 2008 they had a really clever and bomb proof concept:

The "Spltboards" "Travelboards" and "foldable boards" topics have been around since Kiteforum exists :
2002:
2004:
2006: Foldable board? Easy to carry when travelling or on a bike..
2008: Split board??

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:07 pm

Yes but what about the performance of the board?

If I ever travel I like knowing that I have a board that I am comfortable with, and not riding on something that I know could break at any moment.

If you fly in an airline just make sure it's not American Airlines, they are well known for their strict board policies.

Greenturtle
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 17, RRD Emotion 17, OR Flite 12, Solo 9 & 6.5
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Agree with posters on diy.
Buy the cheapest wood core board you can, cut and scab with a plate, reseal exposed core with some resin. Etc.
It works. I have two I have made starting with $99 closeout boards. As for flex, the thickness and material of the scab plate can make the flex whatever you like with minimal experimentation.

For me flying in the US its really nice not to have to sweat whether they’ll hit me for oversized fee. Cause they will. Along with just having a more compact bag for general convenience as others have said.

To the OPs actual topic- Nobile along with others in the kiteboarding industry are simply pricing based on what they think people might pay. A few people will and do pay full price. Then if they dont sell all of the product the price drops slowly until it goes. They have nothing to lose by trying because there arent many splitboards on the market from mainstream brands, so competition is minimal.

As someone else said, at that price you can get high end custom work done. No doubt! and it’s awesome to support someone who is building on a small scale.

My next move is to modify one of my current splits to have the option of an added middle section, allowing converting it to light wind mode. Like having two boards in one.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:06 pm

I have the latest carbon twin tip and paid $1,750. You can find them for less if you look around and often times can get the previous model for less.

It now spend most of my time on the Zen foil split board and also have a 2018 on the way. The older ones are good and the new ones just keep getting better.

I have had 3 generations of the boards and the most surprising thing is that no one else is trying to get into the premium split board market.

Sure, you will find some lower cost boards but they are obviously not as competitive. I would like to see more super carboned out split foil boards. The Nobile split foil board is nice, really nice but I can’t understand why they are the only game in town.

martino86
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Allround
Gear: Ozone Enduro, Nobile NHP Split, Firewire Evo

Postby martino86 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:54 am

sedluk wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:06 pm
I have had 3 generations of the boards and the most surprising thing is that no one else is trying to get into the premium split board market.

Sure, you will find some lower cost boards but they are obviously not as competitive. I would like to see more super carboned out split foil boards. The Nobile split foil board is nice, really nice but I can’t understand why they are the only game in town.
Having the Nobile NHP Split for 2 years now, I'm also wondering why no-one else is trying to get into the premium Splitboard market.

Beachboy
Frequent Poster

Postby Beachboy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:23 pm

I know this is probably difficult because of the concave, but does anybody think that it is possible to make the Ocean Rodeo Mako as a split?? I purchased another brand's split (don't want to run them down) this past year for a long trip. Where I live, there is no chance to try it, so I just ordered the split.I tried it many times to get used to it, but finally ended up schlepping my trusty Mako and Golf Bag on the trip. Hey Ocean Rodeo.... if possible, consider it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”