forum for kitesurfers

alford
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: XR4 or XR5. Big differences ?

Postby alford » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Curious what most buyers go with, white or black? The black is not very festive and white will show canopy stains quite easily I'd think. Core is just so damn serious looking, I guess that's part of the German engineering. I also believe performance is the most attractive "color" so I know I'm being stupid here but just wish their kites would be colorful in a simple and tasteful way. For me some of the 2017 North kites achieved this. To each his own but wondering what you all think about Core's look or style.

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen
Favorite Beaches: Thy (Denmark) and Dhakla (Morocco)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Jedi Wannabe
Gear: XR5 & Fusion 3
Brand Affiliation: CORE, ION, Brunotti, Gul, SurfEars and always looking to demo..

Postby ChickenD!ken » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:06 pm

alford wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:13 pm
Curious what most buyers go with, white or black? The black is not very festive and white will show canopy stains quite easily I'd think. Core is just so damn serious looking, I guess that's part of the German engineering. I also believe performance is the most attractive "color" so I know I'm being stupid here but just wish their kites would be colorful in a simple and tasteful way. For me some of the 2017 North kites achieved this. To each his own but wondering what you all think about Core's look or style.
I go black on all mine for precisely that reason. Lying down under the canopy I can do my checks in no time. Can’t help you with respect to the fashion statement since I only care about performance. “Looking cool” is what your skill development is for anyways. And in my humble biased opinion, you won’t find better build quality anywhere. Go with the Pro bar too if you can. Ridiculous setup..

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: CORE, ION, Brunotti, Gul, SurfEars and always looking to demo..

Postby ChickenD!ken » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:46 pm

andy00 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:00 pm
I don't really understand why Core gets so much stick on price against other manufacturers...
Ozone Edge is pretty much the same price and the Rebel costs more, these are the top comparable kites.

I just got a 12 and 9 XR5 last month after demoing the XR4 many times.
In my opinion it's the best kite I have ridden. I am early intermediate, only riding hooked in and I like boosting, it jumps super easy and like you read everywhere else super soft landings.

Neither kite will disappoint, if you have the cash go for the XR5 :)
Agreed. There’s a lot of criticism levelled at Core products that I never hear elaborated further. They are not the most expensive and other producers, as you say, have no qualms about setting higher prices. I think what Core does better than anyone is keep it clean and simple while never compromising quality. A kind of Ocams Razor approach to kiteboarding. Their kite offering is also the most sensible in my view. Dedicated C-kite (Impact), dedicated wave kite (Section), freeride (Free), freeride/freestyle (XR5) and freestyle/wakestyle (GTS). All but the Impact come with light wind models so you can stay on your preferred model. Not like North for example, who clearly want you bouncing from one kite to the next and push overcomplicated innovations that, lets be honest, no one really needs. Like the click bar. Sure, I can see the novelty of trimming your back lines and why not pursue that area of development further, but don’t ask me to change my routine out on the water. That’s a massive turn off as a customer who knows what they want. You’re not re-inventing the wheel here, just adding parts to the carriage and it’s pretty obvious. I’ve compared a click bar to my pro bar and was not impressed. Too many moving parts and a price tag which, speaking of price gauging, was laughable in comparison. I just want a minimalist approach to my experience as a user with all the complicated stuff in my kite, bar and board ‘under the hood’ so to speak. Core ticks those boxes for me.

alford
Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:38 pm

What makes the Core pro bar special or worth the extra coin?

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:07 am

alford wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:38 pm
What makes the Core pro bar special or worth the extra coin?
Well, I don’t think you’ll regret getting the 2S or 2S+ If you think 150 Euro/Dollars more is too much. Only difference between the 2S and 2S+ Is the + gives you different line length options (18,20,22,24 if I remember right). Apart from that it’s the exact same bar. There’s no point getting the entry level Sensor 2 unless you’re a newbie who expects to thrash around and likely damage your gear.

The Pro is just so refined but still mananges to keep it super simple, there’s no other way for me to describe it. When you see one close up you will understand why it’s such a lovely piece of equipment. Definitely demo one if you can. After all, there’s a good reason why we demo before throwing our savings at this stuff. Basically, everything is lighter, stronger but without feeling flimsy or like a plastic toy, if you know what I mean. But the 2S(+) is not far off. Pro is carbon and weighs 200 grams, sheets in and out with virtually no effort. Lines are lighter, stronger and stiffer with what feels like virtually no stretch. For now anyways.. The clam cleat trim design allows you to move the cleat closer/further if you so desire, something I absolutely love.

The safety system is an entire discussion on its own and not exclusive to the Pro but gets criticised a lot for reasons I don’t quite understand. At least, no one cares to elaborate when I ask why but I like and trust this setup and am happy to explain if you want.

knotmyfault
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby knotmyfault » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:19 am

The safety system is an entire discussion on its own and not exclusive to the Pro but gets criticised a lot for reasons I don’t quite understand. At least, no one cares to elaborate when I ask why but I like and trust this setup and am happy to explain if you want.

https://youtu.be/QVl7ON6uNe0

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:22 am

knotmyfault wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:19 am

https://youtu.be/QVl7ON6uNe0
Is that you in the video? Like I said before, no elaboration, just a chest POV of some dude (who isn’t jumping particularly well either) going flying and failing. I’ve seen this clip several times and in the comments section it is suggested that the rotor release was not properly reassembled. If this were a real problem Core would drop the twist release. It is not.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Nobile Flying Carpet

Postby pmaggie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:55 am

I own 3 Cores, an old XR 7 from 2010 that never had an issue in 7 years of use, an XR2 15 and an XR4 11. Also owned an XR 11 and an XR LW 17 (first LW by Core). Quality is superlative, after sale service is a dream and durability is really top level. I don't want to discuss about performance because everyone has his opinion and needs. I think they are really great kites in every aspect.
The rotor system works perfectly, it's just a matter of getting used.

ronik
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Sobieszewo, Gdansk, Poland
Favorite Beaches: Gdansk Gulf, Poland
Style: freestyle
Gear: Airush VarialX 8m, NHP board

Postby ronik » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:25 pm

Because we are a little out of subject... could someone advise what XR4 sizes would be the best for 70kg rider? 6-9-12m on twintip boards? Is it the same wind range for XR5?

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:41 pm

ronik wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:25 pm
Because we are a little out of subject... could someone advise what XR4 sizes would be the best for 70kg rider? 6-9-12m on twintip boards? Is it the same wind range for XR5?
Sorry, I think I went on about the bar because for me anyways, it’s a bit of a package experience. They have the same wind range.

I use XR5:
6m (11-20m/s)
9m (7-16m/s)
12m (6-12m/s)
19m (4-10m/s):

I’m 82kg and where I live the yearly average is about 6m/s here and anywhere from 30-170 days of 10m/s - 14m/s winds depending on where you travel around the country. 15+m/s days are not that rare during fall and winter but they usually come with very gusty winds. 6m is very stable in those conditions. At 8 or 9m/s I’m usually flying on the 12m so you might want to try 5-8-11 depending on your experience. The 8m is supposed to be the best looping kite in the size range. At least that’s what I hear. And I have plenty of fun on my 9m so I believe it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”