Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Buenos Aires
Style: Newbie
Gear: Neo 10, 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Recommendations for a kite

Postby hgrimberg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:18 am

I am still learning kitesurfing coming from windsurfing. I actually only want to use the kite when it is not windy enough for windsurfing so, I want a kite for when the wind is less than 15 knots. I weight 176 lbs. I purchased a North Neo 12 2017 but I am worried that it won't be enough for less than 15 knots... On the specs from North it was saying that it was better to choose 1 or 2 sizes less since the Neos were a lot more powerful than all the other kites from North. I was at first about to buy a Dice 13 but after reading that from North I chose the Neo 12. I still can change it since I still didn't use it... Any recommendation?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: what works for the day

Re: Recommendations for a kite

Postby PullStrings » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:33 am

For 14 knots to about 9kn consider a 15 sqm Juice if you like North

rleshem
Rare Poster

Postby rleshem » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:51 am

It will be easier to learn (and way more fun) when the wind is >15knots.
So the 12 will be good. Sub 15knots 15m will be better.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:17 am

Don’t do it, don’t get any kite. A lot of us started with, i’ll Only do it in light wind then go back to windsurfing when it is really blowing, but that is not what happened and probably won’t for you either. Learning to kite, just like learning to windsurf, is more difficult when the wind is light and flukey. So, you will get frustrated and start going out to kite in stronger winds and it will be a new challenge and fun and then you will find that the “big” kite you have has a much bigger range than you thought and that a smaller board is way more maneuverable and fun to play with. And then your next biggest sail will not get used and then you will find a really good deal on a smaller kite and go out in even better conditions and then your next biggest sail will not get used until eventually you will only have your smallest sail and realize that going out on it in those conditions without being in practice for only 4 days a year is just dangerous and that smaller kites are so much better than they used to be and a small kite and a small board in big conditions is SO MUCH FUN in comparison and the number of places and days kites work better is so much bigger you will just have to just give away all your windsurf gear for basically nothing.
So be smart and don’t even start.

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Copenhagen
Favorite Beaches: Thy (Denmark) and Dhakla (Morocco)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Jedi Wannabe
Gear: XR5 & Fusion 3
Brand Affiliation: CORE, ION, Brunotti, Gul, SurfEars and always looking to demo..

Postby ChickenD!ken » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:35 am

hgrimberg wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:18 am
I am still learning kitesurfing coming from windsurfing. I actually only want to use the kite when it is not windy enough for windsurfing so, I want a kite for when the wind is less than 15 knots. I weight 176 lbs. I purchased a North Neo 12 2017 but I am worried that it won't be enough for less than 15 knots... On the specs from North it was saying that it was better to choose 1 or 2 sizes less since the Neos were a lot more powerful than all the other kites from North. I was at first about to buy a Dice 13 but after reading that from North I chose the Neo 12. I still can change it since I still didn't use it... Any recommendation?
Have you made a firm descision to go with North? If not, CORE has the largest LW selection on the market if I remember correctly. Maybe a Section2 LW or Free LW is what you’re looking for?

hgrimberg
Rare Poster

Postby hgrimberg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Humm, after reading all these answers, I don't know what to say... There is a point on one of you that says that learning with very light winds is a bit complicated. The problem I see with light wind is that the kite could just fall if it is not a lightwind kite. On the specs for the Neo 12 it says that for someone that weights between 75 to 80 kgs (my weight, I weight 80 kg), then the range of wind is 11-15 kts. , so kiting below 15 kts for me will. E possible with this Neo 12. If I look on the specs of the Dice 13, it doesn't have a range of wind for someone my weight below 11 kts. All it says it is that the range of wind for someone 81 to 85 kg is 11 to 15 kts. That means that a Dice 13 is for the same amount of wind than a Neo 12 but for a heavier person. In their Wind finder feature on their web, if you input a weight below 80 kg and a wind below 11 kts, it just gives you a N/A response. So I assume that the only way for someone heavy 80 kg (176 lbs) in lightwind is with a special lightwind kite like the Juice because if not, it could just fall. I had a 10 but learning with a 10 means to not windsurf that day and also deal with choppy waters wich is another complication added to all the rest.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Here's the deal: kites are much more efficient than windsurfers in marginal conditions. The ability to create apparent wind by moving the kite far exceeds what is possible on a windsurfer by pumping. That means a kite gives you more range than a windsurfing sail & more ability to ride through lulls. However, there is a point at which you will not be able to get planing with a kite. What that point is depends on your skill,level with the kite & also, importantly, what kind of board you are using. On an average TT with a 12m kite, 11 knots will be the absolute minimum that you will be able to plane with at your weight. 12 - 13 knots required in order to kite consistently upwind & 14 - 15 knots to be fully powered. Getting a bigger kite, like a 15m, might add 1 knot to the those minimums, so it's barely worth it (IMO). A light wind board - like a big, flat rockered TT, or a flat rockered directional, like a North Nugget, will make a significant difference - you could probably stay upwind in 10 -11 knots with a 15m kite. However ... still questionable if it's really worth - perhaps, if you have a lot of days that have consistent 10 - 12 knots. It is also true that learning to kite in marginal winds is difficult, however, 13 - 14 knots is all you need to feel decently powered up, even when you are learning.

I am the same weight as you. For years I rode TTs & had 16m, 12m & 9m kites. About 8 years ago I switched exclusively to a small, flat rockered directional board. Since then I have never used anything bigger than a 12m kite. BIg kites are not worth the trouble (IMO) as they give you only a very small amount of extra bottom end & become over-powered quite quickly. As someone coming from windsurfing you might considered starting with a flat rockered directional, rather than a TT. A powerful 12m kite will be as big as you need.

hgrimberg
Rare Poster

Postby hgrimberg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:56 pm
Here's the deal: kites are much more efficient than windsurfers in marginal conditions. The ability to create apparent wind by moving the kite far exceeds what is possible on a windsurfer by pumping. That means a kite gives you more range than a windsurfing sail & more ability to ride through lulls. However, there is a point at which you will not be able to get planing with a kite. What that point is depends on your skill,level with the kite & also, importantly, what kind of board you are using. On an average TT with a 12m kite, 11 knots will be the absolute minimum that you will be able to plane with at your weight. 12 - 13 knots required in order to kite consistently upwind & 14 - 15 knots to be fully powered. Getting a bigger kite, like a 15m, might add 1 knot to the those minimums, so it's barely worth it (IMO). A light wind board - like a big, flat rockered TT, or a flat rockered directional, like a North Nugget, will make a significant difference - you could probably stay upwind in 10 -11 knots with a 15m kite. However ... still questionable if it's really worth - perhaps, if you have a lot of days that have consistent 10 - 12 knots. It is also true that learning to kite in marginal winds is difficult, however, 13 - 14 knots is all you need to feel decently powered up, even when you are learning.

I am the same weight as you. For years I rode TTs & had 16m, 12m & 9m kites. About 8 years ago I switched exclusively to a small, flat rockered directional board. Since then I have never used anything bigger than a 12m kite. BIg kites are not worth the trouble (IMO) as they give you only a very small amount of extra bottom end & become over-powered quite quickly. As someone coming from windsurfing you might considered starting with a flat rockered directional, rather than a TT. A powerful 12m kite will be as big as you need.
That was a great explanation. It helps me a lot what you say about how difficult it is to learn on very light wind. Also a bigger kite that is not a pure lightwind kite is not for lighter wind but for heavier people with the same amount of wind. Right?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:29 pm

hgrimberg wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:17 pm
Also a bigger kite that is not a pure lightwind kite is not for lighter wind but for heavier people with the same amount of wind. Right?
Yes, exactly. :thumb:

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Another thing to consider is that you risk to stop windsurfing even when wind is over 15 knots, once you get hooked on kitesurfing.

Unless you are a pro freestyler windsurfer, or really get the thrill of cutting through chop at high speed, but the progression on kite is a lot easier than windsurfing which looks really hard to learn anything beyond some variation of jybe and tack.
Not talking about personal experience, just did some basic windsurfing 25 to 17 years ago.

All good thing though.

Like other said 12m and 17m kite gives you 1 knot difference. But at 12 knots you can do a bit more tricks on bigger kite than on 12m at your weight.

Anyway I weight about the same and 12m has plenty of low end my 14m enable me a knot more but depends how steady wind is in those range and with a knot more I have more fun on 12m... so overall if I had to pick one it would be 12m. It's true that some kite are more geared toward heavier people, below 12 knots you are going to need light wind specific kite, depends how gust and lull are happening at your spot.
With hydrofoil you can go down to 10 knots or less with specialty gear. Can't go wrong with 12m, you will buy more gear down the road 😂

Return to “Kitesurfing”