Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Kiteboarding Rules-of-Navigation Video

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Kiteboarding Rules-of-Navigation

Rules of Navigation:

Note:

These are the rules but you should know that not every kiter follows them or knows what they are. If you see someone who doesn’t know what they are doing just kindly inform them of what you have learned from this video so that we can all be safe. Don’t expect other kiters to get out of your way, you can tell by watching their kite movement as they approach you if they are going to give you respect or not.

Entering the water
As you launch your kite and are heading out you have the right of way. The most dangerous part of kiteboarding is when you are launching and landing your kite. Don’t launch your kite if someone is trying to come down but once the area is clear put your kite up and head out towards the water. The person heading towards the beach needs to give way to you so that you can safely get out on the water. Use your best judgment.

Once you are on the water this is what you need to know-

Who has the right of way?
So think of this as a food chain of respect. The person as the top of the food chain has to be the most respectful to the others because they have the most power and can move the fastest in any direction.

Top of the food chain is a motor boat or a jet ski, they can go anywhere they want and are not reliant on wind. Secondly come the foilboarders, they have a lot of power and can pretty much go in any direction almost into the wind. They should give way to the less fortunate ones who are fighting to stay upwind. Then comes the Kiteboarders, they can move quickly and turn on a dime so they should give way to the windsurfers, sailboats, paddle boarders, surfers, divers, swimmers and everything else. You get the idea, “with great power comes great responsibility.” Windsurfers and surfers are the ones you encounter most on the water and want to make sure to give them proper respect and stay a safe distance away. Also beginner kiters have the right of way over experienced kiters, we were all there once and need to try and help them out. You are the one in control of the power and everyone else is at your mercy, so be respectful!

This also applies to slower vessel. Give way to the slower kite or vessel on the water.

Upwind / Downwind Kite
The upwind kiteboarder should maintain a controlled course and raise their kite.

The downwind kiter should lower their kite and head slightly downwind to create a safe passing distance.

When two kiters are on the same tack, the kiteboarder that's upwind gives way to the kitesurfer downwind.

Port / Starboard
This is the proper, lawful terminology that you learn in any boaters safety course and it’s good to know. So if you ever encounter Coast guard or a Marine Patrol boat these are the terms you’d want to use.

Starboard (traveling to the right) must maintain a steady course with the kite high.

Kitesurfer on a port tack (left hand forwards) must yield right of way which is typically lowering your kite and going downwind, however it's the person on the starboard tack that decides where he or she wants to go

That doesn't mean that if you're downwind you shouldn't watch out for the rider upwind - not everyone knows these rules!

Windward / Leeward
Windward (upwind) rider has the right of way and should put the kite high and maintain a steady course.

Leeward rider or the downwind rider should give way to the windward rider and head slightly downwind and put kite low.

When two kitesurfers are passing each other riding in opposite directions

- upwind kiteboarder must keep their kite high,

- kiteboarder downwind must keep their kite low.

In the surf
kitesurfers riding a wave have the right of way, except when the other person is leaving the shore.

When you're riding behind someone stay vigilant as they might not look back before manoeuvering

Above all always assume that the other person might not know the rules so stay wary of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSAn1t2-NSY

phpBB [video]

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Re: Kiteboarding Rules-of-Navigation Video

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:02 pm

excellent video.

Everyone who wants to ride on crowded places like the Brazilian lagoons should watch it and pay attention.

Quiet some people who have no clue what they do...and that can lead to nasty accidents which can be easily avoided knowing these rules.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jeromeL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:02 pm
excellent video.

Everyone who wants to ride on crowded places like the Brazilian lagoons should watch it and pay attention.

Quiet some people who have no clue what they do...and that can lead to nasty accidents which can be easily avoided knowing these rules.
Even on non crowded place with 5 people ;(
I really try to be careful but sometimes i make assumptions people understand how priority works at some spot. I mean in the slick it's normal to give way and take turn to get close to land, If i see someone is going into slick, i slow down and wait for then to boost before getting in line, then if there is room I accelerate and boost, usually people slow down if they see you going for it but sometimes people accelerate downwind and don't even try to make room.

Wasnt bad very quickly people who showed up after us got in line in the rotation and we gave each other room or waited for our turn to get into the slick. You would think that one glance, after seeing us boosting exactly at same spot time after time they would understand you have to get in same way and clear the area right downwind or it after you are done.
It's really easy to share the spot once you get it.

Anyway I try to be careful and you get used to people making room and taking turn but you have to assume that some people don't understand how some spot works.
Doesnt help that I usually kite at empty spot so when I z around people I don't know I make wrong assumptions and have bad habits.. or maybe I'm just a jackass 😜

Here is one close call out of hundreds of jump...
IMG_4641.PNG
The dude was literally waving at me giving me thumbs up after I avoided him so he clearly saw me come in ;)

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:23 pm
.... however it's the person on the starboard tack that decides where he or she wants to go....
This is where the Kiteboarding community is collectively dropping the ball. Windsurfers struggled with this, but windsurf races did loads to educate the community. Sadly, it seems that even the ex-windsurfers are forgetting what they once knew.

The statement that the vessel with right of way "can do what ever they want" is the false and absolute the opposite of what maritime law defines it as.

The vessel that has the right of way MUST HOLD COURSE! That means they have one option and ONLY ONE OPTION - stay on that same course. There is no choice for your path when you have the right of way. You must stay on course until the other vessel has cleared you.

The vessel that does not have the right of way MUST TAKE ACTION TO AVOID! This means that in not having the right of way, this vessel can pick any course that does not cause a collision.

There are apparent exceptions to this, though they are not actually exceptions, but rather an extension of this definition.
1. If the hold course (vessel with right of way) will hit an object by holding course (such as a bouy, another vessel, or other object), the yielding boat (vessel without the right of way) must allow the vessel with the right of way to take that course as that is required for them. Simply put, the right of way vessel cannot be forced into a collision, and a deviation from their course must be allowed by the vessel without the right of way in this situation.
2. A deep draft vessel with the right of way does not have to follow a straight line, or hold course until they run aground. They will follow the channel that is required for their draft. While kiters have seemingly no draft, kitesurfers do have fins and risk damage from the bottom if they are forced in too shallow in the break. So twin-tip riders with smaller fins need to allow directional riders to turn back out sooner than the TT riders would need to.
3. As above, right of way is maintained even when switching from starboard tack to port tack if the shore line has necessitated that change. Read that as don't force someone on the inside.

Adhering to these rules, regardless of if the vessel encountered is another kiteboarder, is essential as it is maritime law. Having a special rule for kiteboarding that conflicts with maritime law will get people hurt and possibly kiteboarding banned at certain locations.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.

Postby jeromeL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:04 pm

That one illustrate very well what happens when you mess up:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZETq5Dhq1b

Probably both to blame, well twintip guy should probably have switched direction a lot earlier going toward beach but at same time the surfer was really cranking hard upwind until last second, I am sure from twintip point of view he was way ahead upwind of surfer.. I guess they were going both pretty fast and being powered as they were it was hard to change course since it would mean getting some air.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:20 pm

I agree Matteo

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Copenhagen
Favorite Beaches: Thy (Denmark) and Dhakla (Morocco)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Jedi Wannabe
Gear: XR5 & Fusion 3
Brand Affiliation: CORE, ION, Brunotti, Gul, SurfEars and always looking to demo..

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Very nice explanation, Matteo. As someone who has sailed most of his life, I know exactly what you mean. The number of near misses that you see from amateur yachtsmen alone is atrocious. Like road rage on the waterways. And there only seem to be more people taking up kiteboarding (at least where I live) to make this priority number 1 for kite instructors. After desperately getting their students planing within the first 3 hours at all costs, of course.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.

Postby jeromeL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Usually, you want to signal clearly what you are planning to do regardless of priority. Rules are nice but it's easier to signal intention clearly, even in sailing you adjust your course to the back of the boat which sends a good signal to other boat.

If I have priority and the guy who is supposed to give way doesn't turn around, release edge and lower kite soon enough, I turn around or flatten my board all the way and go a good 15m downwind, this clearly state my intention. Every know and then someone will go downwind at the same time but then I just downloop and turn around.
If I am stuck between 2 kiter, I bring kite to 12 and sit in the water.
If someone is following too closely and can't easily downloop around him, I fake sending kite for boosting.

It helps to make eye contact too, if you are going to get close ;)

grigorib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 7m/8m/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m/15m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Best Kahoona 11.5m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Ghost Whisper 42"/545/328, Moses 71cm/548/325, Slingshot Dwarfcrafts 42"/54", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako 135, MBS Comp 95x

Postby grigorib » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:30 pm

let's touch on some questionable cases:
- a kiter launched a kite and hangs out at the water edge or on the beach within line length from water with kite in the air
- a kiter is riding in your wake and limits your maneuvering
- a kiter is less experienced/learning and is obviously uncapable to allow right of way fast
- a kiter in front of you switches direction to starboard but wihout looking and is on collision course
- there's a riding pattern clockwise or counterclockwise in a slick or behind jetty and a rider goes starboard but against the pattern
- an IKO instructor brings a newbie student to a crowded launch/spot with a defined riding pattern and start teaching right there
- toeside rider right leg/hand forward is not a starboard tack

Common sense says "stay safe and avoid" and "talk to them". What about the rules?

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.

Postby jeromeL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:37 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:30 pm
let's touch on some questionable cases:
- a kiter launched a kite and hangs out at the water edge or on the beach within line length from water with kite in the air
- a kiter is riding in your wake and limits your maneuvering
- a kiter is less experienced/learning and is obviously uncapable to allow right of way fast
- a kiter in front of you switches direction to starboard but wihout looking and is on collision course
- there's a riding pattern clockwise or counterclockwise in a slick or behind jetty and a rider goes starboard but against the pattern
- an IKO instructor brings a newbie student to a crowded launch/spot with a defined riding pattern and start teaching right there
- toeside rider right leg/hand forward is not a starboard tack

Common sense says "stay safe and avoid" and "talk to them". What about the rules?
nice sum up. I guess it's hard to talk to everyone and not everyone use common sense. Also not everyone follow rules so I guess it's mix of both, stay on safe side with new comer and once you feel confident you can assume they follow the pattern.

Once at Real slick on SW, the jetski came up to us to explain the pattern, the wind was perpendicular to the slick so we could do rotation left or right, no one was there so we kind of picked one and changed it up later but then jetski showed up with 1 student and explained us that the main slick was hitting going left, and the one by the pier going right. Don't quite remember details but was interesting that they had a system in place.
On North wind the school with jetski was far enough downwind from slick and the lesson was ending, I guess they setup right at the slick but that day wasn't very busy anyway. Anyway never had issues with IKO lesson so far, a lot of our slick are not easily accessible ;)

I use common sense for those rules with a few people I kite with but when someone new show up at spot you assume they will figure out the common sense rule then a few close call happens and they learn. Hard to go and talk to everyone. I am definitely guilty to make assumptions that this is common sense.
We rarely have issues in our area but lately there are a lot more new kiters especially late summer and early fall so we have had a few close calls, and tried to communicate with everyone but it's tough. most people are used to kite alone in choppy spots so when they show up at slick they don't really know what's going on.

Return to “Kitesurfing”