forum for kitesurfers

kitegirls
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: North kites, Cabrinha (unfortunately) bar and Slingshot bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Board Size Question

Postby kitegirls » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:48 am

Every spec I've ever read says that I should ride a 134 to 140 twin tip, which is what I've been on from my first day on the water. Recently I've switched to a 129 and I can't say I'd ever ride anything bigger again.

It seems to be the difference between a longboard and a shortboard for skating and surfing. Are there any disadvantages to riding a board much smaller than the board my height and weight is specked for? ie less pop, less height in big jumps, more face spray, harder upwind, etc? I haven't noticed any of the above but I am still a beginner/intermediate rider.

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2050
Style: Yes
Gear: North Dice
Shinn Monk the One
North Nugget

Re: Board Size Question

Postby Lokihel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:05 am

You'll need more power to get going on a smaller board. This also means you can hold more power on the top end.

Upwind will also not be as good as a larger board, but that depends a lot on the bottom shape of the board and size of the fins, and if you have a small board you will only ever ride properly powered or you will just sink.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 am

The two boards may be different lengths but (a) board width and (b) how flat a board is (rocker) must also be taken into account.

At a guess the new 129 is a little narrower and a little flatter in the middle so you could well find that it's more fun because with the flatter rocker it will accelerate faster and with (I'd guess) your small feet you'll find it easier to apply leverage when edging.

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Your skill with the kite is probably 50% of the board size question. Kitesurfboard, Twin-tip, light wind boards (surf or TT) - You are always trying to go smaller for more performance, or bigger to make up for less skill with the kite in a given windspeed.

The key is to go as small as you can AND still have a good time. If you go too small and don't have a good time (strugging), then you need to size up and deal with the "performance loss vs the comfort gained" trade off.

It is good to hear you can make a 129 work and have fun on it!

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:19 pm

kitegirls wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:48 am
Every spec I've ever read says that I should ride a 134 to 140 twin tip, which is what I've been on from my first day on the water. Recently I've switched to a 129 and I can't say I'd ever ride anything bigger again.
Length isn't everything! :lol: Seriously, the width, shape and rocker matter just as much.

Boards designs go through phases... for a while it was short, fat, rectangular boards. Now it seems to be going with longer boards with more rocker.

As others have said, if you find a board that works well for you in most wind, you're in good shape. The tables are a guide only and vary by too many factors to rely on. A good thing when you see a board of a different shape than yours, give it a test ride. You'll find some things it does better than yours, and some things you don't like.

It also depends where you ride. If you typically ride flat water than a smaller flat board may work well for you. If you typically ride in choppy conditions, you'll want something with more rocker, concave or tip shape to help eat that chop and smooth out your ride. Different strokes for different folks. :wink:

RadDrDuke
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Long Beach Island NJ
Favorite Beaches: Florida Keys. South Padre Island. Hatteras. Maui.
Style: Becoming more and more surf and foil
Gear: Airush kites, Crazyfly board, LF foils

Postby RadDrDuke » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:13 am

Here's my quiver:
- 132cm TT
- Hydrofoil
- Kite-specific surfboard for downwinders/waves

If I'm not powered enough to ride a small TT then it's foil time!

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 am

Width matters more than length in terms of total area of the board. Add 5 cm length over a 40cm width and its less than a third in the increase in area compared to if you were to add 5 cm of with over a 135 cm length. And yes, rocker matters too. I have built boards with identical rocker and outline shape, just an overall increase in width. Add 1 cm to the width of a board and all other thing being equal it is like adding a metre of kite size. It makes a huge difference!

Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”