forum for kitesurfers

ichabod
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Explain bar pressure please

Postby ichabod » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:28 pm

I was referring to the the image at the start of the thread - position B is the one closer to leading edge

sflinux
Frequent Poster

Postby sflinux » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 pm

I think of bar pressure as a relative term. If you oversheet a kite, the bar pressure will go up. This is because the steering line(s) is holding more of the force of the kite, relative to the front lines (center of bar).
On most kites (i.e. c-kites), if you move the steering attachment away from the tailing edge, the bar pressure goes up due to a shorter lever arm.
If you use a longer bar, the bar pressure will go up. This is due to the relative sheeting and you can now oversheet the rear lines due to the longer bar.

ichabod
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ichabod » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:05 am

If you use a longer bar, the bar pressure will go up. This is due to the relative sheeting and you can now oversheet the rear lines due to the longer bar.
Interesting, I guess this can only be the case when you are steering i.e sheeting one end of the bar in more than the other? If the bar is sheeted in evenly, the trigonometry means that a longer bar should very slightly reduce the distance to the rear tips of the kite and so actually sheet in a tiny bit less than a short bar which gives less bar pressure?

Return to “Kitesurfing”