Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moving from F-one Bandit V to... Dice, Evo or Rebel?

Forum for kitesurfers
jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Moving from F-one Bandit V to... Dice, Evo or Rebel?

Postby jeromeL » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:07 am

ldmelo wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:59 am
BigBafana wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:19 pm
I went from f-one to North (for the same reason as to just try another brand) and there were so many North kiters and reps where I live that I sort of got convinced to get one. But I wasn't too happy about my choice at the end of the day.
Afterwards I got myself a CrazyFly Sculp and was pleasantly surprised and was having real fun on the water again. Have a look at them. Really nice kites and in my eyes they're undervalued and not talked about enough. Flies just as well as a f-one, goes upwind really well, has really good hangtime and very competitive pricing too.
Interesting.. Never heard about CrazyFly. Buying a kite nowadays is much like buying an android phone.. there are too many manufacturers and models, difficult to research them all.

Anyway... their website redirected me to a US online shop and the price for the sculp 9m is 1990usd with the bar.. not cheap at all.. Am I missing something?

I managed to try the rebel today for a few minutes (old model, 5 lines). It is a completely different game. I could jump higher, and a super hang time! Very different feeling. Sadly, I couldn't try anything more aggressive (the owner didn't let me LOL) . . But I found it also a bit too slow, it was like an old lady moving from one side to the other. Must be great for starters though, or for those really focused on board offs, etc.
Going away from Bandit a lot of things are going to feel slow ;) especially on 12m and up .
I havent tried many kite but he latest switchblade were acrually much faster than pre 2015.
Havent tried the dice but should feel a bit more nimble if you are set on north.
What size are you considering anyway?

BigBafana
Medium Poster

Postby BigBafana » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Interesting.. I never heard about CrazyFly. Buying a kite nowadays is much like buying an android phone.. there are too many manufacturers and models, difficult to research them all.

Anyway... their website redirected me to a US online shop and the price for the sculp 9m is 1990usd with the bar.. not cheap at all.. Am I missing something?

I managed to try the rebel today for a few minutes (old model, 5 lines). It is a completely different game. I could jump higher, and a super hang time! Very different feeling. Sadly, I couldn't try anything more aggressive (the owner didn't let me LOL) . . But I found it also a bit slow, it was like an old lady moving from one side to the other. Must be great for starters though, or for those really focused on board offs, etc.

CrazyFly is probably better known for its boards but their kites are just as good. They're a Slovakian company and produce them locally too thereby saving costs I guess. Too bad that they're so expensive in the States. For example I had just gotten an email from them with an offer for a 2017 9m Sculp kite, bar, board, bindings and pump for €1380, which is somewhere around $1600...
Last edited by BigBafana on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eenzwemvijver
Rare Poster
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Oesterdam - The Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: El Gouna - Egypt
Kappalady lagoon - Sri Lanka
Mauritius - le Morne
Style: old school
Gear: North Orbit 12 m2 2023
Core XR7. 9 and 7 m2

DSD intel stallion 5,2
Boardschmiede 135 x 40 , Duotone Jaime textreme 133 x 40 , S6 Boards 134 x 40
Groove foil board and Fab foil

Postby eenzwemvijver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:17 pm

I have a Bandit 2016 11m and a new rebel 2018 11 m and tomorrow a 2018 12m Evo ( witch i am going to compare with the rebel side by side this week )
I like the Bandit a lot and jumping is really good , i have a 2017 Evo 9 m2 and i think within North that is indeed the Bandit from North !
Did try last week for the first time ever a rebel and i was impressed by the jumping quality , hangtime , smooth feel .
It is slower than the Bandit but the Bandit 's 2016 low end is not good ( i am using a 11 m when i am using at the same time my 9 m2 Evo and 9 m2 Naish Pivot .
That is the reason i bought 2018 North instead off Bandits ( they say the low-end is better now ??? )
With the Evo i made my best jumps ( 10,6 m ) but the Bandit is close ( 9,8 m ) and is easier to land .
The Rebel is the kite witch gonna get me higher , that i know already now after 2 sessions and the hangtime is mega , the landings easier than the Evo
The Evo is more playful and surprisingly good on a surfboard ( the Bandit to )
Now i am really looking to the comparison with the 2018 Evo ( Wednesday we gonna test it beside the rebel , if the wind is ok )

If you like a write a report .

For information : i am 49 j old and a average kiter ( like the most i guess ) , i never unhook but like to do backroll ( with and without kite loop ), bubble bankroll , dark slide , front roll etc
trying to do kite loop now , to give you a impression off my " kite level "

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:38 pm

eenzwemvijver wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:17 pm
Wednesday we gonna test it beside the rebel , if the wind is ok )
Looking good.

https://www.windguru.cz/187

eenzwemvijver
Rare Poster
Mauritius - le Morne
Core XR7. 9 and 7 m2

DSD intel stallion 5,2

Postby eenzwemvijver » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:15 pm

Never wrote a review , and it is a personal opinion ! So beware off that ( i am 80 kg on a x-ride 135 x 40 and we did ride both kite's till 26 knots )
so i had a ride on the Evo 2018 12 m2 and compared with my 9 m Evo 2017 , the new one is defiantly better in overal feel but especially in landing jumps . ( maybe it has to do with the size ? )
I did the test with my twin brother , we both used each kite for an our and than switched to have an impression in the same condition .
Evo is quit fast and playful , but stable in the air . Easy fun feeling kite where you feel at home from the start . more power in the loops than the rebel .
For me , and my brother the Rebel 2018 11 m was a surprice . Less playful than the Evo and a bitt slower to but in the air a dream .
For me the Rebel was so easy to jump and the control in the air and landing sublime !
Never flown a Rebel but i am a fan already !

dont get me wrong , the Evo is also fantastic but different . If you go on a surfboard or like a playful kite that jumps high ( but not as high as the rebel ) go for the Evo
if you like to jump high with a bitt more hangtime than i will go for a Rebel .

This WE we go again and i hope with a few more tries to have a better view on the differences !

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Hello; could you tell us the diference in wind range of your evo12 and rebel11? I was very impressed with the range of the rebel10 2018 I tested; and wonder if the Evo would be able to go as well in high winds.

I weigh 87kg and I coud go upwind with the rebel10 on 12knots of wind with a large twintip.

eenzwemvijver
Rare Poster
Mauritius - le Morne
Core XR7. 9 and 7 m2

DSD intel stallion 5,2

Postby eenzwemvijver » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:31 pm

I dont know where the low end starts but we had them both out from about 18 til 26 knots .
The Rebel was always full powered but the Evo was depowered for 85 % at 26 knots , so it was close to its high end !
The Rebel was on 18 knots still going but i think about 16 knots will be needed to have me going .

eenzwemvijver
Rare Poster
Mauritius - le Morne
Core XR7. 9 and 7 m2

DSD intel stallion 5,2

Postby eenzwemvijver » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:31 pm

I dont know where the low end starts but we had them both out from about 18 til 26 knots .
The Rebel was always full powered but the Evo was depowered for 85 % at 26 knots , so it was close to its high end !
The Rebel was on 18 knots still going but i think about 16 knots will be needed to have me going .

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:24 am

XR5

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Thank you eenz; if you get a chance to try both on the low end, it would be interesting to find out. The evo is lighter, will stay up and relaunch easier but the rebel was very good once it was going.

Return to “Kitesurfing”