Local Beach: DUBAI
Style: Noob
Gear: Switchblade 2015 14, Crazyfly Raptor 145
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

[Beginner] Looking for a new twintip for Kiteboard and cable park

Postby oto212 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:52 am

I love hitting my local cable park to work on my board skills (Let's say both sides are my weak sides) and I have already started seeing results on my freerides
The thing is that renting the wake boards each time is getting expensive.

In the same time, I was also thinking about adding an additional board (between 137 and 139) to my kite boarding gear, for the moment I only own a light-wind Door..sorry board (145/45) and I'm starting to feel it's limitations once the winds picks up.

So my question is, which smaller board can I use to grow my skills and continue hitting the cable parks (not planning to go full wakeboarding) from time to time with ?

pebbles
Frequent Poster

Re: [Beginner] Looking for a new twintip for Kiteboard and cable park

Postby pebbles » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:04 am

Tona Pop

oto212
Rare Poster
Local Beach: DUBAI
Style: Noob
Gear: Switchblade 2015 14, Crazyfly Raptor 145

Postby oto212 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 am

pebbles wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:04 am
Tona Pop
Nice! Me likey!

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:57 am

Riding a kiteboard at the cable park is suboptimal. It will be too fast and footstraps are not a great idea at the cable.
Really rather get yourself a used wakeboard. Or a wakeskate.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Second what Rynhardt says. Wakeboarding can really improve your board skills but it’s not the same as kiteboarding. Maybe they have a rental setup where you are? You don’t really need a ton of time at the cable park to see improvements. I don’t know, I would not go out and get a board just for the cable park, but if that’s your only option I guess something cheap secondhand is the way to go..

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M

Postby Tony in FL » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:20 pm

I am a long time cable park rider and got into kiteboarding late last year. I have looked into getting a crossover board that I can use in both places. I am thinking about getting the Slingshot Refraction Pro. It is a kiteboard with a grind base that can be used a both the cable park and kiteboarding.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Might be better to just buy a wakeboard, for some reason they can be really inexpensive compared to kiteboards

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 pm

don't buy a dual purpose board. kiteboards are damn expensive, a new good one $400-$1,000, while a decent wakeboard is $100-$200 or so and a used wakeboard is easy to pick up for almost nothing. When you are at the wake park going off sliders and ramps, your expensive kiteboard will get the bottom ripped out and you just don't want to pour money into buying a new dual purpose kiteboard every 2 years or so. Best long term plan to be economical is to buy a wakeboard. Use it at the wakepark. Buy a kiteboard, use it kiteboarding. That said, I admit, I sometimes use my kiteboard at the wakepark. You don't need a special board, but a kiteboard has almost no drag so the rope will be constantly slack, it's a different feel from a normal wakeboard. But there's nothing magical about the board that says you have to use it only kiteboarding just so expensive to rip up that kiteboard while you are at the park. You can pay for your wakeboard in no time at all from not paying that rental fee. I know it sounds like you are paying more money by buying two new boards a new kiteboard and a new wakeboard but trust me you save a lot of money in the long run by not ruining your kiteboard at the park.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Get a used wakeboard for the cable park.

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M

Postby Tony in FL » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Higher end wakeboards can get into the $500+ range with another $400+ for bindings. Of course buying prior model year gear can drop that significantly. For the casual wakeboard rider I agree it probably makes more sense to get a cheap setup just for wakeboarding. But if you are really into cable park riding there might be some advantages to having a good crossover board setup.

1) If the winds crap out on the way to the kiteboard location - head over to the local wakeboard park as you already have the board/bindings with you.
2) I wonder if riding the same board/bindings kiteboarding/wakeboarding might allow you to get really dialed in on that setup.
3) If you like riding with high end wakeboard bindings (both kiting and wakeboarding) you only need one pair setup on the crossover board. (Otherwise you may need to have two pair or be prepared to switch back and forth).

Return to “Kitesurfing”