Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hard shell harnesses comparison

Forum for kitesurfers
LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hard shell harnesses comparison

Postby LiquidXtasy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:52 pm

I don't think there is any waist harness that doesn't ride up, because the more you ride the more your stomach is going to shrink. It has nothing to do with the harness, otherwise you would have to wear something that would be uncomfortable to breathe in.

I own a RE, and it does ride up, but it's not really a problem because all I do is lean back and tuck it back down with my free hand. Going on 2 years now with this thing, and the only problem I've had so far is the sliding rope wearing down. Rock solid harness!

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jonysan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Can I include the ION CS wave into this discussion, thinking of buying one to replace RE, anyone have any experience of the ION CS wave
Thanks

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:45 am

Just picked up a new 2016 re elite pro.Can't compare it to other hard harnesses,bought it to replace my 8 yr old ion that was showing its age.For the killer deal of 129$,10$ for the rope slider bar and 47$ for hooked bar I took a chance.Rode with it for 1 session and didn't notice it at all, that's the way it should be! No pressure points,no riding up etc.

AJ
Rare Poster

Postby AJ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks for all the answers.
Will try to check them all before purchase.
Im really excited to see how it works as i used to ride very soft harnesses ( DAKINE TABU/CHAMELEON)

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Yeah, I'm debating what to get right now too - I've always ridden Dakine Renegades, they held up well and just worked. I switched (because I lost weight and needed a new size) to a Ion Apex Select, which took awhile to get comfortable, but once I got used to the fit was super comfortable. The only problem is after 15 months of use, the kite line holding the straps broke and I almost had a very long swim. I'm really not happy with their product support or durability.

I'm debating the Mystic Warrior or Dakine C-1 or Renegade Hybrid. The hybrid seems to be a nice mix.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Had the original Mystic Majestic, really liked it but I'm always between a S and M and should have gotten a small that time. Had a strap failure after about 2 years, bought the C1 and honestly it just didn't fit right. I blame part of it from rough wear from being on my motorcycle for 9 months tied up etc etc. Was totally going to get the new Majestic X till I saw the price. 400 bucks?? WTF, for that I think I'll go Ride Engine.

=Jason-

Bill C
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill C » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Do you get the benefits of a hard shell harness if you wear it over an impact vest for instance? How about wearing a hard shell with a 5/4 wetsuit, is the lumbar support negated?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:21 am

Bill C wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:48 pm
Do you get the benefits of a hard shell harness if you wear it over an impact vest for instance? How about wearing a hard shell with a 5/4 wetsuit, is the lumbar support negated?
Wore the ride engine over my 6/4 and it seemed fine.Still good support in lumbar area.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Just spent a week riding with the ION's CS Freeride harness.
48802-4705_CS__FREERIDE_KItesurf_cq_composed_resized.jpg
To be perfectly clear - I can only compare it to my previous harnesses:
-Vertex Select which was a bit of a wrong model for my needs and it was a size too large (I'm sort of between Medium and Large).
-Manera Exa which I really liked but I'm an idiot with principles and it had to be unloaded.

I haven't cared to even try the Ride Engine as I don't like to be running along with the herd and there weren't any other brands hard shell harnesses to try on locally.

Anyhow, overall - I was very happy with the CS (got the Medium for my 33 waist). I'ts not supper-stiff, but it's very firm, sits really nicely - almost locked-on - on my rather waist-less torso. Only pressure points that I've developed after a week of fairly agressive riding - came from the spreader bar working into the rib cage - which I still have to fiddle with and adjust the straps properly. I've also noticed that it doesn't want to slide around whenever riding toeside - I'd be looking into the WAVE model if I was into hardcore surfing. And it still creeps up along with jumps and tricks - perhaps a notch or two less than some other harnesses which I owned in the past. Hey, not everyone is born with Apollo's waist!

Speaking of the spreader bar, the one that comes with CS-harnesses seems more compact than these supplied with 2018 Vertex and Apex models.
ION-CS-Freeride-Carbon-Huefttrapez-2018-Groesse-M_b2.jpg
And the new lever-lock system is fantastic! Really liked how it operates, though I've caught my-self heading out a couple of times with the lever being in "walking-around" mode. Had to develop a habit of fully-unclipping the whole thing when not riding.

If I had to rate it - I'd say that CS FR is tons better than the EXA - more comfortable to ride and more comfortable to clip in/out.
It wouldn't be fare to compare it to the Vertex - later being a model targeted towards surfing and which it does beautifully.

As I was suspecting - a hardshell harness is a royal PITA to pack for traveling as it can't be unfolded flat. At the end, mine - being a size medium - ended up in my carry-on backpack. Your millage could very depending on your harness size. And having been on a few trips with the EXA - it's so nice to come back to a spreader bar with no idiotic flaps and which doesn't take up too much space in the main luggage.

Handlepass leash is removable and there are D-rings on both sides for a safety leash.

Good stuff!

And my lower-back was a happy camper too.

toddalbinson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wrightsville beach NC
Carolina beach
The Basin
Masonboro Island
Favorite Beaches: Any with wind
Style: wake,free,surf
Gear: Switch,Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Switch team Rider

Postby toddalbinson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:09 am

I got a ride engine pro harness and sold it after 5 sessions. Killed my back. Others on beach had similar experience. Herd the C1 is nice. Took a chance on the Ion pro wave harness and am loving it. Has a carbon shell in back but is smaller than RE. Also has a constant curve to it. The inside is memory foam and super cumfy. The harness is very light. It does not ride up on me at all and have never had a harness that didnt. If you are a dedicated wave rider I would give it a go. has a 2 rope system that is easy to replace when worn out. Also I'm a bigger guy 6ft 195lbs. I herd the ride engine was better for smaller guys. Got it on closeout for 50% off for $100 bucks shipped. Worth every bit of $300 so super stoked on the deal and the harness!

Return to “Kitesurfing”