Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Hard shell harnesses comparison

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:03 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 pm
Was totally going to get the new Majestic X till I saw the price. 400 bucks?? WTF, for that I think I'll go Ride Engine.
Apples to apples:
Ride Engine Carbon Elite = MSRP @ $408 with their spreader bar
Mystic Majestic X = MSRP @ $430 with their spreader bar

For the extra $22 you get the Clickerbar 4.0 locking spreader bar and an alternative fit option to the RE harness. I prefer the Majestic X fit much better vs RE's. Having to only spend $22 extra is negligible since good fit is paramount when it comes to harnesses.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ktflyer381 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:05 am

I was skeptical of the hard shell harnesses, I figured it was a fad. I have been using the Dakine Pyro for 11 years without any issues. Anyhow, I tried on the Dakine C1 and was initially underwhelmed, but then I hung back off the rope in the store and as soon as my weight was on it I was surprised at how good it felt. I have had four good days on it and it has felt incredible and doesn't ride up on me at all. More lumbar and back support than the Pyro for sure. I am very happy with my purchase.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:19 am

There really needs to be a clear distinction amongst these new generation of hardshell harnesses. As of right now only three manufacturers are making a true hardshell harness that's designed to resist collapsing or pinching the body when loaded...
Ride Engine, Mystic Majestic X, and the new NP Atom for 2018.

The rest of the "hardshell" harnesses should be more accurately referred to as a "hybrid" or "mediumshell" harnesses since they're either semi-ridged in design, or are a segmented design with a ridged back panel combined with more flexible side panels.

Here's a test video that was posted. It's not great, but it does show how the RE is the only one in the test that is truly a hardshell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8lUhZi5jfs
Last edited by Da Yoda on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:21 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:03 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 pm
Was totally going to get the new Majestic X till I saw the price. 400 bucks?? WTF, for that I think I'll go Ride Engine.
Apples to apples:
Ride Engine Carbon Elite = MSRP @ $408 with their spreader bar
Mystic Majestic X = MSRP @ $430 with their spreader bar

For the extra $22 you get the Clickerbar 4.0 locking spreader bar and an alternative fit option to the RE harness. I prefer the Majestic X fit much better vs RE's. Having to only spend $22 extra is negligible since good fit is paramount when it comes to harnesses.
That is true but I was able to buy a carbon elite for under 200 on cyber Monday so I’m hoping it works out. If not I’ll sell it and bite the bullet and get the new mystic.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 am

alexeyga wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 pm

I haven't cared to even try the Ride Engine as I don't like to be running along with the herd and there weren't any other brands hard shell harnesses to try on locally.

Anyhow, overall - I was very happy with the CS (got the Medium for my 33 waist). I'ts not supper-stiff, but it's very firm, sits really nicely - almost locked-on - on my rather waist-less torso. Only pressure points that I've developed after a week of fairly agressive riding - came from the spreader bar working into the rib cage - which I still have to fiddle with and adjust the straps properly. I've also noticed that it doesn't want to slide around whenever riding toeside - I'd be looking into the WAVE model if I was into hardcore surfing. And it still creeps up along with jumps and tricks - perhaps a notch or two less than some other harnesses which I owned in the past. Hey, not everyone is born with Apollo's waist!

Speaking of the spreader bar, the one that comes with CS-harnesses seems more compact than these supplied with 2018 Vertex and Apex models.
Excellent review !! I will soon be switching from a Large Mystic Worrier to an Apex Select. I too have about a 32 / 33 waist but ride harnesses a bit different than most. I like as much surface area behind my back as possible and I like to let the harness move around freely...not too much but enough so that when I go toeside or blind the harness will rotate a bit. After so many years of harnesses moving around its just something i am used to and I definitely did not like the RE.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:57 pm

lindseym wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 am

I like as much surface area behind my back as possible and I like to let the harness move around freely...not too much but enough so that when I go toeside or blind the harness will rotate a bit. After so many years of harnesses moving around its just something i am used to and I definitely did not like the RE.
You gonna feel right at home with the Apex Select. I was kinda skeptical about the cabling in my previous '17 Vertex Select but it does work quite well and adds another degree of freedom for the spreader bar to slide around. I should've gone with the Apex as well back when I got my previous Vertex. Cheers!

Return to “Kitesurfing”