Forum for kitesurfers
tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Re: [Beginner] Impact+Life vest advice?

Postby tomato » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 pm

It depends if you use wetsuit or not. Wetsuit adds some buoyancy. If I use 4mm- I can float without problems.

And also I use Dakine surface vest. I like it for few reasons:
- if adds floatation. not much, but enought not to sink. NIce so have time when feeling new beginner- relaunch kite, put on board.
- keeps harness down in place. I was surprised how much it helped, and mostly for this reason i like to wear vest now.
- and if you are begginer to jump- you will fall with speed from high after bad jump- vest absorbs impact :)

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rynhardt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:37 am

I think there are probably conditions where you should be wearing a life vest, like if you ride far offshore.
But for general kite surfing an impact vest is my preferred option.
Bulky vests are a real drag.. They can actually get in the way.
I use the LF cardigan with a seat harness.
Attachments
images (25).jpg
images (25).jpg (17.17 KiB) Viewed 2615 times

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 am

oto212 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:58 pm
Not extremely confortable in ocean sessions, I'm looking for something that would give some buoyancy when I'm ashore trying to relaunch my kite.
And if it can protect me for the impacts it's a plus.

I've found this NP Surf Rise vest Image on the cheap side that looks good, but not sure about the buoyancy though

Do you guys have any preferred vest ?
What does “not extremely comfortable” mean? Does it mean you’d like to be a stronger swimmer?

Impact vets are good but they will always restrict your freedom of movement. Especially if you’re wearing a wetsuit (don’t forget the harness either), this restriction will feel more severe. And it’s not hard to find wetsuits that provide crash protection, although it’s obviously not to the degree of a vest. I would not select an impact vest for any other reason than protection. You shouldn’t rely on the gear to keep you afloat unless your session comes to an abrupt end and you realize you’re suddenly in deep shit.

Unless you’re really pushing it, I suggest just using a helmet. Most important is staying conscious and being able to swim after your crashes.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 am

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 am
oto212 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:58 pm
Not extremely confortable in ocean sessions, I'm looking for something that would give some buoyancy when I'm ashore trying to relaunch my kite.
And if it can protect me for the impacts it's a plus.

I've found this NP Surf Rise vest Image on the cheap side that looks good, but not sure about the buoyancy though

Do you guys have any preferred vest ?
What does “not extremely comfortable” mean? Does it mean you’d like to be a stronger swimmer?

Impact vets are good but they will always restrict your freedom of movement. Especially if you’re wearing a wetsuit (don’t forget the harness either), this restriction will feel more severe. And it’s not hard to find wetsuits that provide crash protection, although it’s obviously not to the degree of a vest. I would not select an impact vest for any other reason than protection. You shouldn’t rely on the gear to keep you afloat unless your session comes to an abrupt end and you realize you’re suddenly in deep shit.

Unless you’re really pushing it, I suggest just using a helmet. Most important is staying conscious and being able to swim after your crashes.
I've had my kite depart and having the vest was nice to swim back to shore. I go wetsuit only in the winter. I think my vest gives about the same bouancy.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:55 am

t3rse wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 am
I've had my kite depart and having the vest was nice to swim back to shore. I go wetsuit only in the winter. I think my vest gives about the same bouancy.
I don’t doubt it’s uses. Maybe it’s because I’m in a wetsuit 10 months out of the year. Once you’ve got a thick wetsuit broken in the extra buoyancy feels almost like a life vest. Impact vest mostly just adds weight. For me anyways.

I only mentioned the helmet because whenever things get out of control in the air, we have a tendency to orientate the head towards the surface in order to get our bearings. Then tuck in if there’s time. My concern is always getting knocked out and then that’s that.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 am

50N floatation vest gives you way more buoyancy than a (traditional) impact vest. I'll wear an impact vest on the twin tip but when foiling I always go for the buoyancy aid because it makes light wind relaunch much easier. I have a cheap Gul Garda. Easy to float. No need to tread water at all. Great for packing down as you can lift your arms from the water. With an impact vest you often need to start kicking once your arms are above your head.

The only drawback is that when learning it is a pain as it does tend to ride up until you get the hang of how to float with it.

Something else to think about is body dragging. I have heard people claim that body dragging is easier without a buoyancy aid. I think the 'theory' is related to floating deeper so you can head further upwind? I don't remember ever having a problem in normal conditions so can't say. Someone else might advise about the difference.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:24 pm

The only difference Ive noticed body dragging with/without life vest on is how much water you drink without it!

I could see where if you were wearing a bulky high float vest it could be less hydrodynamic on the body drag. But a slim, well fitted, open shouldered life vest designed for action sports, does not inhibit in any way body dragging or otherwise IMO

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Such as this economic and ergonomic model, nrs vapor. Can be had for around 60 bucks.
AED3665F-07E0-4929-B3FE-1D06D54FF50D.jpeg

ble
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baltic sea
Gear: Cabrinha SB 10, 8

Postby ble » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:12 pm

I use magic marine vest

https://mureadritta.it/negozio/abbiglia ... ior-adulto
perfect for kiting, holds well in deep water, sits comfortably with my np bomb harness, some additional defense from cold wind. I had tested also neil pryde high hook, but did not liked it, harness pushes it up to high..

AdroVempo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Minnesota: Lake Waconia, Medicine Lake, White Bear Lake.
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, Jamaica, Visakhapatnam (Vizag)
Style: Freeride
Gear: None

Postby AdroVempo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:05 pm

ble wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:12 pm
I use magic marine vest

https://mureadritta.it/negozio/abbiglia ... ior-adulto
perfect for kiting, holds well in deep water, sits comfortably with my np bomb harness, some additional defense from cold wind. I had tested also neil pryde high hook, but did not liked it, harness pushes it up to high..
Hi Ble,

Compared to the NP high hook flotation vest, seems like this one is a perfect fit. But is this one same or higher byouancy than the NP high hook? it is not clear from their website whether it is CE50 or any better !!

Return to “Kitesurfing”