Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Eye protection -> tips on cheap and good-ish sunglasses for kiting

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:03 am

alexeyga wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:59 pm
I could probably speculate about what's wrong with these Oceans for a lot longer - starting with the fact that their choice of raw materials is sort of odd - I'd have used something less brittle for plastics.

But if I was looking for something really inexpensive, I'd probably start with a motorbike accessories store way before a hardware store...

A while back - being a smart arse that I am - I had a brilliant idea to try a set of US military glasses - which seemed to make a lot of sense back then: interchangeable lenses, removable strap, etc.. But they proved to fog up like there's no tomorrow. :nono: :nono: :nono:
Not the Wiley-X glasses/goggles? I had the same idea, and the same result -- horrific fogging. They were too small for my face in goggles mode too :(

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:43 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:03 am
Not the Wiley-X glasses/goggles? I had the same idea, and the same result -- horrific fogging. They were too small for my face in goggles mode too :(
:rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: These were the ones! :thumb: Glad to hear that I wasn't alone in that boat... Oddly enough, despite the fact that my head isn't particularly large - I'm also having sizing issues with most shades. Tried the Lip Typhoons the other day, and these were too tight for me around temples - any pressure in this area gives me a headache. :oops:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:51 am

alexeyga wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:43 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
:rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin: These were the ones! :thumb: Glad to hear that I wasn't alone in that boat... Oddly enough, despite the fact that my head isn't particularly large - I'm also having sizing issues with most shades. Tried the Lip Typhoons the other day, and these were too tight for me around temples - any pressure in this area gives me a headache. :oops:
I think the SeaSpecs-style are a tad small too, but don't suffer from them. I have 720-Armour Sharks, and they're about perfect. Lenses are a bit too dark on cloudy days, but most shades have that problem here.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:51 am
alexeyga wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
I think the SeaSpecs-style are a tad small too, but don't suffer from them. I have 720-Armour Sharks, and they're about perfect. Lenses are a bit too dark on cloudy days, but most shades have that problem here.
Never had any issues with the SeaSpecs either - that original Oakley's design which they started with - was really thoughtful.

Actually, having seen you recommending the Sharks in some other thread - I tried to get some, but with nobody carrying these locally - and given the pricing - it was a gambling round I wasn't too keen about getting into.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Two words I wouldn't associate with my eye sight protection - 'Cheap and good-ish' This is your eyesight FFS!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:07 am

badgb21 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:32 pm
Two words I wouldn't associate with my eye sight protection - 'Cheap and good-ish' This is your eyesight FFS!
The technology for making decent glasses isn't that high.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:09 am

alexeyga wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:15 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:51 am
alexeyga wrote:

Never had any issues with the SeaSpecs either - that original Oakley's design which they started with - was really thoughtful.

Actually, having seen you recommending the Sharks in some other thread - I tried to get some, but with nobody carrying these locally - and given the pricing - it was a gambling round I wasn't too keen about getting into.
Yeah they keep telling me they have dealers in Japan but I've never seen them. They're far and away the best glasses I've used though, and the changeable lenses are a bonus. I bought the first version for like US$100 IIRC then recently I checked the price on the v2 and was unpleasantly surprised :lol:

GG-Fluidkiteboarding
Rare Poster
Style: oldschool
Gear: Fluid kiteboarding Gear
Brand Affiliation: Fluid kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby GG-Fluidkiteboarding » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:25 am

Try the leech tornado glasses. They are epic! Not cheap though but they do float and have amazing lenses without the annoyimg water glare.
Www.leechwatersports.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”