Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Short Leash Vs Long Leash

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Short Leash Vs Long Leash - Versus Ep 05 Mac

This week we’ll address a common question I get on the phones here. Short leashes vs long leashes. It’s not uncommon for someone who just upgraded their gear for the first time in a while to be a little confused when they open the box and find a much shorter leash than their used to.

The reason being is that sometime around 2015, the industry realized most riders will never actually need a longer leash.

A little history
To give you a brief history lesson, kiteboarding isn't that old as far as most adventure sports go.

Aside from the pioneers experimenting in the 70’s and 80’s with kites to power their sailboats or I think there's a clip of laird hamilton towing into a wave with a kite. Our sport really took off in the 90’s. A fun note, our shop actually got into kiteboarding in 1999. I remember coming in as a kid and seeing a power kite video and thinking it was the coolest thing I’d ever seen. Of course it took me another 11 years to actually get into the sport. Point being, like any young sport we were still developing our culture and the gear. Granted the gear has leveled out in contrast to the early day. Bringing me back to the leash.

So what is a long leash for?
Namely riders who unhook. Our sport is a fun combination of many others including wakeboarding or surfing. So riders looking to emulate the wake side need a handle pass leash in order to pass the bar behind their back. It’s really that simple.

The thing is, not every kiteboarder likes to unhook. In fact, most don’t. Enter the short leash. Now, the nice thing here is you don’t have a long leash dangling behind you or dragging in the water. Riders who prefer hooked in big air, hooked in waves or just cruising will be better served using one of of these.

So does it really make a difference? Well if you like to unhook yes, a big difference. If not, well, not really you’re just saving materials and you don’t have to worry about a long leash. I guess you’ll save a little bit of weight when packing your travel bag too.

So the takeaway here is that unless you unhook, don't worry about what leash came with your gear. It's going to get the job done. There's no need to upgrade. However, if you want to try your hand at some unhooked tricks give one of the new handle pass leashes a go.

Hopefully this video clears up that question for those of you wondering. If you’re new to the series, stay tuned. Normally we focus on comparing kites brand vs brand and within the line up as well. and soon we’ll get going on twintip and surf comparisons as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhn-SFk5bDU

phpBB [video]

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Short Leash Vs Long Leash

Postby Jelle_vw » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:03 pm

What I like about the short leash is that you can connect it to the front of your harness, to your hook.
So it's always in reach for both hands.

ble
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Baltic sea
Gear: Cabrinha SB 10, 8

Postby ble » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:07 pm

When you going down wind and have someone who picks you up, I am wrapping kite in harness, use long leash as handle to carry all my gear on shoulder comfy :)

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Advance "JB-Weld Special" :) 140x40 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT

Postby gilana » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:15 pm

I have both, but I don't go unhooked, and, since the day my long leash got wrapped around the end of the bar and prevented me doing a redirect, I have stayed with the short one.

Incidentally that was a funny crash. I was doing a right to left aerial transition, nothing fancy, but, I had taken off about 2 m before a mangrove, and as I could not send kite left I was gently placed right in the top of the mangrove, in the birdshit, kept the board on as a shield, and purposely duped the kite in the lee of the mangrove. My wife kited past and crapped on me "WTF you doing up there?!!" right, like I chose to be here...? it took a long while to climb down and then out, re-arrange the lines, and fish the board out of there. :)

The photo shows the transition, but on the left not the right, but there in the background is a mangrove beneath the 5th frame, with a hole in it, kinda Me shaped :lol:
Attachments
sequence1.jpg

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Funny thing went to OBX recently and wanted a short leash for my wife.
all stores were out of stock of short leash actually they got some stock back a few days later but apparently everyone is starting to raid down shops for short leash ;)
Just got a couple, though just started doing some raley to blind but I have move my long leash to the side on my new harness...

alford
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Check out the Core short leash, it's nice.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:47 pm

I use Ozone short leashes which are simple and cheap.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Gen4 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Galaxy board
Engine Harness and sliding

Postby Laughingman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 pm

This is sooo 2010 I've been cutting and resewing my leashes to be short since my first year. .

Next there will be a tutorial on how to hook your short leash to the back of your harness ;)

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 pm

If you don't know why you would want a short or long leash, you'd better look for a different sport. Darts for instance.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom

Postby LiquidXtasy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:07 am

If I cut my long leash in half would I have 2 short leashes?

Return to “Kitesurfing”