Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Could someone please invent a better way to self land a kite in high wind.

Forum for kitesurfers
bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Could someone please invent a better way to self land a kite in high wind.

Postby bigtone667 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:52 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm
bigtone667 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 pm

I don't understand the reluctance to use the safety on a kite.
the QR is one of the best ways to land the kite. The reason people don't like it is . . . the lines sometimes get tangled? It is weird why people hate pulling their QR.
I release to safety 20% of the time, takes me two minutes to reset the lines. Kites destroyed, zero. Bodies damaged, zero.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby IWB2 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 am

The best self land/self rescue system I ever used was the Cabrinha IDS system 2009-2013 (when using the Switchblade). This system was amaysing as one could hit the QR in any conditions and the kite would be out cold with the leading edge down and the kite facing you). Because the kite would face you LE down the actual pull was very low when compared to flagging a kite on a single front line. Of the many many times the IDS self land was used it always worked perfectly. This system is no longer used by Cabrinha unfortunately. The video below shows how the kite reacted when releasing the QR. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia-CmjKvUAI[/youtube]

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:35 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Fly the kite at 12 oclock and pull the safety. The kite will generally land direct downwind from you with little possibility of damage. Very easy to walk the safety line without damaging your hands.

the argument they were making was that the kite flops around too much and pulls too hard when plummet is kiting in a hurricane by himself and the line hurts his hands

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:15 am

5th line.....I ejected a 9 m in 55mph ...no issues. Sounds like you are masturbating with way too much lotion. Best advice is to get a girlfriend. Asap.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:22 am

Do-it wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:15 am
I ejected a 9 m in 55mph
James Bond's eject button

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:39 am

edt wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm
bigtone667 wrote:

the QR is one of the best ways to land the kite. The reason people don't like it is . . . the lines sometimes get tangled? It is weird why people hate pulling their QR.

I'll take tangled lines over broken bones or death anyday :lol: :lol:

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Teabageppo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:06 am

PullStrings wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:44 pm
kjorn wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:51 am
Let me anticipate the pedants ... blah blah sand bag blah stake in the ground blah. Sometimes I get out of the sea a long way from where I got in. I may get out quickly to avoid a squall and want to land my kite.
YES a real self landing...all by yourself...and nothing else

Was in a squall situation recently on 10 Rebel...before the squall hit was a fun 1 1/2 hour sesh side-on at 20-25 knots...but during the 35-40+ knots squall it was stinging rain "dead onshore wind"
It was high tide with small sandy beach and house 50 meters straight downwind
I was out with a friend ...he had a 9 Fuse
We both opted to go further out to sea and ride the squall that lasted 10 long minutes
We positioned both our kites at edge of the window on their wingtips touching the water where the wind speed was a bit less in between the waves
Fully depowered...bar out..sitting still in the water..strapped to our surfboards...the kites were flapping like mad..our hands ready to hit the QR if shit would hit the fan at 50+ knots

We would rather stay on the water in certain temporary very high wind directions...more high impact accidents happen coming on land ...in a hurry trying to put the kite down

Self landing in very high wind... i do very similar to what "Sarc" said he does with the 5th line of the Rebel

Exactly he's on it. Get caught by a squall, get the fck further out into the water and do what the guy above says. With hand on the quick release, in case the wind gets so violent the kite starts to lose its shape completely and is uncontrollable. Stay the fck away from shore.

Those of you not on fifth line loaded rebels will need to pull their primary release much sooner of course... :jump:

And yeh, land mine similar to the above. Having only a 10m rebel (one kite quiver) I get out in some insane winds at 80kg.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 am

dylan* wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:35 am
bigtone667 wrote:
Fly the kite at 12 oclock and pull the safety. The kite will generally land direct downwind from you with little possibility of damage. Very easy to walk the safety line without damaging your hands.

the argument they were making was that the kite flops around too much and pulls too hard when plummet is kiting in a hurricane by himself and the line hurts his hands
Sometimes its worth it!
23550003_868286026668238_6002979038650782224_o.jpg

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:41 am

bigtone667 wrote:

^^^ this depends very much on your kite, your release mechanism, your launch/land area.

With strutless kites, preferred method is to keep it at the edge of the window and walk both front lines up to the kite.
With release to two front lines (not single front or 5th), same deal.
Tiny landing zone? Park the kite where it needs to be, and once again walk the two front lines up to the kite.

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 am

IWB2 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 am
The best self land/self rescue system I ever used was the Cabrinha IDS system 2009-2013 (when using the Switchblade). This system was amaysing as one could hit the QR in any conditions and the kite would be out cold with the leading edge down and the kite facing you). Because the kite would face you LE down the actual pull was very low when compared to flagging a kite on a single front line. Of the many many times the IDS self land was used it always worked perfectly. This system is no longer used by Cabrinha unfortunately. The video below shows how the kite reacted when releasing the QR. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia-CmjKvUAI[/youtube]
:thumb: Great kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”