Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advice on foot straps for injured knees ?

forum for kitesurfers

athen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1
Brand Affiliation: None

Advice on foot straps for injured knees ?

Postby athen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 am

Hello :D
can you advise or share your opinions about some good foot straps for injured knees?

(no boots of course. I'm not interested in them)

Any brand or model or year is good for me to buy.

I really need to mount on my boards a good pair of foot straps to be able to kite again without too much pain and muscle stress to save my knees especially when I do very bad and hard landing after trying some new school tricks :(

many thanks guys!!!

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1916
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Re: Advice on foot straps for injured knees ?

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Not knowing your injury list of course..

As someone who has suffered ruptured and inflamed miniscus several times and sprained ankles galore (I use carved ultra), I can only recommend a strap option that uses the srs ratchet thing you see from more and more brands. Shinn, Carved and OR just to name a few. The ability to adjust the straps while on the board has done (my right knee especially) a lot of good and extended sessions too. There are plenty of good comfortable pads out there but I think the best thing is to go for all-round support and not just fluffy comfort under your feet. Connective tissue is a pain in the neck with respect to healing/strengthening and you’re always on a thin line between further strengthening and relapsing the injury (again, not knowing your knee situation). I would stay away from one size fits all models. Find a brand that will do at least S/M and M/L version and pick something that is a snug fit but still allows you to dump the board instantly. Velcro straps can’t do what the ratchet function manages. The times I used to feel pain shooting up my calf to my knee was usually when doing something trivial like going through chop but because I was also throwing in some hooked-in here and there, I kept the straps loose. Jerky chop in loosened straps sucks for your knees. There are definitely times I like to have the board more ready to kick off and times when I really want it stuck to my feet. The ratchet function seems a small innovation but it totally changes your experience on the water. Bambi knees or not. I wouldn’t be surprised if we no longer see velcro straps in the future.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flitt 17
Ocean Rodeo Flite 12
Ocean Rodeo Flite 8
Ocean Rodeo Maco 140
Progressive Phish 146
Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby randycasburn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:40 pm

It is also important to consider the alignment of the pads on the board. Too much toe in or too much toe out can cause a great deal of knee pain after simply riding for awhile. It depends on the alignment of your knees. If you’re knock-kneed you may want them straighter or if bow-legged you may want them angled out a bit more. You might consider playing with the angle of the pads on the board.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:47 pm

I used to use SP Boarding straps which have the nice ratchet system (they make straps for Shinn) but now use North NTT straps because as well as height setting they in addition also have multiple adjustable width settings .
Last edited by iriejohn on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

athen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1

Postby athen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:12 pm

thanks everybody! everything you wrote is very useful and interesting. I never thought about the alignment of the pads on the board but I realize now that is very important. I got a bad injury of my meniscus, external collateral ligament and rotula after a strong crash with snowboard and now even though months have passed I still have pain especially while landing my jumps.

while riding the pain is not much, something nothing at all. but when I jump and land sometimes too hard it is really painful that's why I am looking at footstraps to help me landing a bit softer on my feet.

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1916
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Good thing other people brought up alignment since I’ve noticed this can vary a bit. For me, I don’t open my stance up much while riding. This is also to avoid uncomfortable twists from having your feet pointing in different directions. But everyone is different of course. Friend of mine looks like a duck when he’s got his board on but swears it’s perfectly comfortable. If you’re already nursing an injury, going back to the basics standing on your board in the living room to feel out what’s more comfortable can do wonders before you try it out on the water. Mine have 2 positions on the x-axis, 6 on the y-axis and about 10 angle positions if I remember correctly. Definitely suggest you go for something you can tailor to your liking..

By the way, that list of injuries you gave definitely sounds like you should take it easy. My problems have only been miniscus related but I wouldn’t wish that in my worst enemy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”