Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pivot Unbaised Review. Good Kite For Surf?

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pivot Unbaised Review. Good Kite For Surf?

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:14 am

Great to read this thread. I bought my 2015 9m Pivot based on the original Pivot thread here. I did not know anyone with one or test ride it. I love that kite. At my level of skill, which is not the greatest, and I'm 62, it has made kiting so much easier in all departments. Riding strapless, or powered on straps, or trying to emulate Langarees jumps on TT. I just wish I could afford the 2017/2018 versions. I have not tried the larger sizes. I came from riding all Best gear, including a Cabo 6m but the Pivot is vastly better, in fact, I no longer ride the Cabo 6m, the Pivot 7m is so much better.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Dedicated wave kites appear to have rounded "C kite" type wing tips, like the Cabo, The Eleveight WS, the Drifter, the Roam, the SST, or more squared off like the Tango, the Reo or the Air Rush Wave. The Pivot & the Slash both seem to have more swept wings, like the Neo. Do these more swept "delta" wings give them greater boosting capability & better low end, making them more suitable as "all-around" kites, but at some cost to the quickness of turning & depower on the wave?

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:31 am

Okay, the Pivot sounds like an excellent kite. What do Pivot lovers do when 14m is not big enough? Using a hydrofoil for an answer is not allowed, lol.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:49 am

I love the Pivot for It versatility, It is one of the best freeride kite both for boosting and wave riding. The two videos below can explain better my words.

Cheers

Carlo

Mufasa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Blouberg
Gear: 2018 Pivots
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mufasa » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:18 am

Pivots also sloooow turning for me. In bigger surf I never feel confident in making a quick transition to get out of trouble. Seems to me it might be pivoting as the name suggests, but I feel I have to wait for take off again, and tend to crank the bar for better reaction. Don't get many people agreeing with me on the beach, so maybe just me. Might consider the new Naish Triad 10 next time.

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 am

My first pivots were 2016 models (7/9 combo) followed by the 2018 (7/9 combo). I purchased them at the time as they were Naish’s wave oriented kite. The ‘Progression’ learning clips had many of wave riding sequences of a rider with a Pivot (teaching drifting etc).

In response to the OP’s question, the Pivot is an outstanding wave kite in the right hands. I switched to the Slash last season as I felt it pulled less in my bottom turn and when in the air. I use a 10m Boxer for the light stuff. For comparison, I’ve used the SST and the Drifter.

For what it’s worth though, I can put my hand on my heart and say that the best all round kite I’ve ever owned is the 7m Pivot for waves and TT, and the 9m Pivot for pure boosting.

Kilian
Rare Poster
Local Beach: World wild
Gear: Mitu 5’8 convertible
Pivot 10m 19
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kilian » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:52 pm

riddim1 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 am
My first pivots were 2016 models (7/9 combo) followed by the 2018 (7/9 combo). I purchased them at the time as they were Naish’s wave oriented kite. The ‘Progression’ learning clips had many of wave riding sequences of a rider with a Pivot (teaching drifting etc).

In response to the OP’s question, the Pivot is an outstanding wave kite in the right hands. I switched to the Slash last season as I felt it pulled less in my bottom turn and when in the air. I use a 10m Boxer for the light stuff. For comparison, I’ve used the SST and the Drifter.

For what it’s worth though, I can put my hand on my heart and say that the best all round kite I’ve ever owned is the 7m Pivot for waves and TT, and the 9m Pivot for pure boosting.
I am 74kgs. I had changed my quiver to fly foil + 10m pivot 2019 when light wind, surf mitu 5’8 + 10m pivot when 18-20 kts. And I m looking for a 7/8 m wave dedicated kite to ride till 25kts in wave, up to 30kts free ride.
Due to knee problem, I mainly looking for wave spot or free ride session on surf board when I will fit the TT less than 10sesdions a year, so any kite would suits me for those.
I am happy with my 10m pivot as an all round kite and definitely happy enough in the wave up to 18kts-ish as I feel it a bit hard in gust strapless over.
I want a kite easy to fly from 18kts, surf strapless. My regards are going on REO (probably 7m after testing 8m) for the moment but wondering the comparison with sst and RPM (I know it’s not wave dedicated but I flew it for years and really loved it). After reading many posts, REO would get my preference over Neo, Slash, Drifter, Airush wave, Religion. I flew wainman from my first year to now, so not a choice.
Thank you for your comparison and advices!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”