Fast forward to 1:30.. https://youtu.be/3J4z53wdz_A

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wetsuits: Front Zip Vs Back Zip

Postby RadDrDuke » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:51 pm

That video is pretty lame because the makers obviously don't surf which is the primary market for high-end wetsuits.

Just get a top-of-the-line zipperless surf suit from oneill or rip curl etc. Easy on/off, so comfortable, super flexible, ultralight.

I have the rip curl flashbomb 3/2 zipperless and it's truly incredible. Kite all winter in NJ (40* air, 40* water) with it (with 5mm booties, gloves, vest/hood). Regular surf to 60* water, then you need a 4/3.

The rip curl flashbomb 3 finger gloves have an internal gasket to prevent flushing and are fleece lined. The flashbomb booties are unreal too, they have a really thin/flexy sole so you have the best board feel of any bootie out there. Their hooded vest combo is awesome too.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Raddrduke, that's very high praise for the Flashbomb no zip. Really, you don't need to be gymnist to get in and out of one? Is a no zip any more difficult than a front zip?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:27 am

alford wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:43 am
That video is a total waste of time.
All those MAC-kite video's are... :roll:

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:34 am

I have weeded almost all rear zip suits out of my collection. I have several chest zip, mainly because they're inexpensive and readily available, and one RipCurl zipless which is my suit of choice for travel. It is lightest and has the greatest warmth range of all my suits.

You don't have to be a gymnast to get in and out of a zipless (or chest zip) suit. You do have to be a little bit methodical and patient. You put each part in, get it fitted and settled, then move to the next part. Same with removing. Don't try to haul it on. You'll just stretch.

Think about removing a woman's stockings and underwear. If you try to drag it off you'll get nowhere and could get into trouble. If you start at the top and ease it off you'll get where you want to go. :buttsmile:

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 am

alford wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:52 pm
Raddrduke, that's very high praise for the Flashbomb no zip. Really, you don't need to be gymnist to get in and out of one? Is a no zip any more difficult than a front zip?
FlashBomb is the best of the best. Warmest and fastest drying suit you can find. Also priced accordingly. I use an ION zipless 3/2 summer suit and will replace my winter suit next year with a zipless FlashBomb. No better suit for cold water surf. Period.

And to answer your question: NOTHING beats a zipless. No zipper no matter where you place it. The range of motion you gain will seriously impress, I’m sure. I’m in a suit (at least) 10 months out of the year and I’ve tried every combo there is. Zipless will become the standard just like board straps with the snowboard ratchet will dominate in future. Small innovations MASSIVE gains on the water..

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Nice analogy ozbungy!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:50 am

Actually these are the best of the best in terms of value. https://needessentials.com/

Great suits at absurdly low prices. I have tried super cheap wetsuits from other sources, and while they have all the features, the warmth and durability has been crap. needEssentials are really, really good.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Wow those needessentials suits are pretty cool!

IF you have trouble getting your suit on, try the plastic bag trick:
put you foot or hand (whatever you are trying to insert into the suit) into a plastic shopping bag and push, your arm/leg will slide right through without hassle, then you pull off the bag and put it on another appendage and repeat. I almost always put on my suit this way.

But yes, since the typical kiter is a 50 year old wealthy man (not me), I figure the demographic can afford the best gear and the best wetsuits are zipperless ripcurl flashbombs and the associated accessories, I actually just finished an awesome downwinder in mine an hour ago!

Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: casalava@puntapequeña.
Favorite Beaches: Uncrowded ones
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Appletree

Postby Jwoo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Being both an avid surfer and kite surfer, for kiting, to me it doesn't matter where the zipper is. Whatever is more comfortable to get in and out of. For surfing, a front zip, or no zip is much better at keeping cold water from flushing the wetsuit when duck diving bigger waves. I have a good super flexible front zip for surfing, but for kiting I use a cheaper back zip wetsuit. My kiting wetsuit takes more of a beating so I'd rather not mess up my expensive wetsuit getting slammed into the lip when I screw up kiting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”