Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 3D printing of kite plastic parts: low friction sliding ring

Postby randycasburn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:53 pm

@LFAK - Now you're being completely unfair on two fronts.
1. The DynaBar has been used successfully for many years now and JayBar has been one of the most responsive companies to customer suggestions. Slandering this person/company in inappropriate when all they are attempting to do is innovate.
2. You can't lump the professionally designed product made from top quality material in with "a printer in someone's house". Pick one. I don't believe people should print KBing parts at home either, but the professional product they are displaying here is not unsafe.

Just say "I wouldn't buy this because in my opinion it isn't safe" and be done with it.

For me, the price is just silly and it doesn't meet the needs of my setup. There, see, easy.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:59 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:15 pm
iriejohn wrote: Oh come on LetsFlyaKite, anyone can see that when the loaded CL is around the ring there's simply no way that the rope in a loaded condition would be against the side of the ring (including the lettering).
You're definitely wrong...

What happens when lul comes through and the wind dies, and then a gust of wind comes and blows the kite in the other direction? Yeah, it's going to scrape the hell out of the rope with that dumb lettering and grove embossed in it.
When a lull comes through the rope is unloaded so no damage. In the event of a gust the kite powers up and the rope and ring are reloaded so no damage. You haven't thought this through have you ...
This makes me not want to buy any kind of Dynabar products ever, because if he's doing something as stupid as making texture in a "No friction" ring then imagine what else he's doing in any other one of his products :o

And what kind of idiot would ever be so dumb to trust this guy with their life on a plastic thing that is printed from a printer in someone's house???

NOT THE OWNER OF MY EQUIPMENT!!!
Of course you wouldn't buy Dynabar products because a) you'd have to read the instructions before you threw them away and b) you'd have to buy some Loctite 243! :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:11 am

:D

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:01 am

randycasburn wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:53 pm

2. You can't lump the professionally designed product made from top quality material in with "a printer in someone's house". Pick one. I don't believe people should print KBing parts at home either, but the professional product they are displaying here is not unsafe.
Has anyone here printed anything on a FDM printer? Those are the ones you might find "at home". I'd have no problem printing this and using it.

I'd probably use 100% infill unlike that skateboard wheel.

Not sure how long nylon would last from rope wear but considering the loading is in compression, i don't see what the big deal is.

and if it breaks? you have rope on chicken loop. Nylon is not going to splinter and shatter.

that lettering is not an issue and the groove on the outside? come on, there is no way that will 'scrape the rope".

When did we become so afraid of our shadow? Don't you imagine that someone who printed this or had it printed might decide to say, do a load test?

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:44 am

jaystore wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 pm
K-Roy wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:20 pm
My apologies if I missed something, but what is wrong with the Antal ring...?
Antal ring is fine, only issue ALU doesn't like salt water and so much friction when rope catches some sand.
I've been using an Antal low friction ring for a couple of years now. It looks the same as when I bought it. Pretty happy with that rate of wear!

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:30 pm

randycasburn wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:53 pm
@LFAK - Now you're being completely unfair on two fronts.
1. The DynaBar has been used successfully for many years now and JayBar has been one of the most responsive companies to customer suggestions. Slandering this person/company in inappropriate when all they are attempting to do is innovate.

Just say "I wouldn't buy this because in my opinion it isn't safe" and be done with it.

For me, the price is just silly and it doesn't meet the needs of my setup. There, see, easy.
And how would you know? Do you own any dynabar products or are you just saying that? I personally have used dynabar in the past, and it was the worst product I have ever owned. And when the owner of a company tells you to "f*** off" when you come to him with a problem then what do you think the rest of his products are like? And now he wants to push his shitty plastic O-ring that can be made in the privacy of someone's own home on a printer? No thanks, I will gladly inform people of the dangers of this unsafe product, just like you have multiple times in this thread already...

And another thing mr randy, it's not slander when everything I have said is true
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:59 pm
When a lull comes through the rope is unloaded so no damage. In the event of a gust the kite powers up and the rope and ring are reloaded so no damage. You haven't thought this through have you ...
When a lul comes through the ring will slack, and yes no damage. When a gust comes through from another direction and quickly jerks the rope in another direction, then yes, there is friction and rope wear. And what if the user wants to go toeside or blind? Forget it, that will be the most friction and rope wear ever.

And when you think about it, plastic is not a solid material like steel is. Plastic has more of a texture, unlike polished steel. So no matter what you are guarenteed rope wear with this. You can hate on me all you want, but a fact is a fact. I am telling you this for your own good.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:22 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:30 pm
... I am telling you this for your own good.
:lol:

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:31 pm

I've used the Dynaber-V7 , since it first came out , both on land, and the water ; never
had to replace anything but the cord, (and that took a Long time to go ByBy) and
i think the sun was what did the most damage, because it wasn't worn-through yet.

Bille
Last edited by Bille on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Guys. You are arguing with a guy who is trolling and not interested in actual facts and figures.

I suggest let it go.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:53 am

Good because i'm done argueing anyway

Return to “Kitesurfing”