Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: sandy
Style: Kook-style
Gear: Kite + bar + board
Brand Affiliation: None

Ride Engine harness bar question

Postby Balloonboy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Just got an RE harness- the 2017 model.
They recommend and sent a 10" steel spreader for a medium harness but it looks short and it is compared to the Dynabar sprwader it replaces. The 12"
looks to be the better choice especially for riding toe-side in surf.

Anyone using the 12" with med harness? Also I'm not a CF fanboy but steel and salt water don't generally mix so looking at the CF spreader- any experience with it appreciated.

El_Norte_Adventures
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island
Style: Hydrofoil and directionals
Gear: LP Foil with low aspect wing, Ocean Rodeo Jester, OR Prodigys and Flite
Brand Affiliation: elnorteadventures.com, Ocean Rodeo, LP Foils, Slingshot, Ride Engine, Xcel
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ride Engine harness bar question

Postby El_Norte_Adventures » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm

I am a RE dealer so have got to try a lot of different combinations. My favourite at 32" waist + wetsuit is the medium with 10" SS slider. I had a customer order a 12" carbon spreader last year but ended up replacing it with a 12" SS spreader after his first session. The issue with the carbon spreader bars is that they are very flat, while the SS spreaders have more curvature to them. Fat jokes aside,my customer and I both have athletic builds and still found the carbon uncomfortably flat while the SS fit very well and facilitated a great locked in feel with the harness.

After getting the 12" carbon spreader back as a warranty I experimented a bit with it and a sz small harness. It was ok, but I didn't feel like the extra 2" of slider travel was all that necessary and prefer the fit of the medium + 10" SS. I see the 10" spreader as a sweet spot for most people and usually end up recommending it to customers.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Balloonboy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Thx. I am 33" and so far winning the battle of the bulge. Med harness fits great.
I hear what you are saying about the CF 12". If it was 10" and pretty flat it would be less of and issue but it needs to contour if longer.

I haven't actually been on the water yet with it so I'll try the steel 10" and then reconsider the 12" (steel).

Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Balloonboy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:19 am

Tried it out in a 3 hr wave session. Really nice harness. Very comfortable and supportive.
But I think I will try the 12" bar though. Def could be wider.

Return to “Kitesurfing”