Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Was it Nick or Kevin?

Postby ChickenD!ken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks for the link. This is the first time I’ve heard it and it wasn’t part of the film that was made about the Dubai jump.

But my point wasn’t about the equipment holding up so much as it was about keeping it together at that altitude with winds that are nothing like on the surface.

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BernieTomic1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 pm

I did not even consider that.
If you go out on a Cape Town day with 30 knots, how high would winds be in 200 metres height?

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:46 pm

No idea. Probably not a gusty as you might fear, but I think there’s a good reason he met the boat so far out (apart from the massive tow required). A large mass of air colliding with a large plateau can provide spectacular updrafts when you are close enough to shore.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Interesting. I think Jesse Richman used normal lines when he did his 800ft tow up jump (or at least I don't think he said he used anything other than normal products). There's footage of his way down on youtube. Worth a watch.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:29 am

It is absolutely cranking in Cape Town this morning. I'm not sure I can handle it on my 7m Pivot, but no doubt all of the pros, including Nick and Kevin, and some locals will be out putting on a show. I just watched two guys launch at the lighthouse in Milnerton on tiny kites. The gusts must be around 50 knots up here, hopefully a little less at kite beach in Bloubergstrand, although the meter there is showing gusts of 45 now!

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:16 am

If such good wind today there maybe someone will reach finally 30 meters jump :) Just to bet Nick or Kevin :)? I think Kevin will reach it :)

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:46 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:29 am
It is absolutely cranking in Cape Town this morning. I'm not sure I can handle it on my 7m Pivot, but no doubt all of the pros, including Nick and Kevin, and some locals will be out putting on a show. I just watched two guys launch at the lighthouse in Milnerton on tiny kites. The gusts must be around 50 knots up here, hopefully a little less at kite beach in Bloubergstrand, although the meter there is showing gusts of 45 now!
Cool, keep us posted! I wouldn’t go out with a handkerchief, but all the boys I know would be pumping the baby kites, 5-6m. Sounds like fun! We are getting snowed under here... if it keeps going I could snowboard to KuDamm 😃

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:12 pm

It was seriously windy today. The SEaster blew all night and then around 8-9AM really cranked in. I waited a while and went out on my 7m Pivot around 12:30. By around 2PM it was too much, and I came in and rented a 5.5m Best Kahoona from the nearby Best Kiteboarding Africa shop. I rode that for about an hour, along with a few others including both Kevin Langaree and Nick Jacobsen, who were doing massive jumps while I was trying to survive. Eventually they and most of the others quit, but I swapped the Kahoona for a 4m Best Roca, a size I've never ridden before, and it was perfect from around 4-5PM. I'm attaching the record from a windmeter near kite beach at Bloubergstrand, which records a little lower than what is happening out on the water. :D
December9_2017.jpeg

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks for sharing the stoke, man! What a day you had. Nice app! Which one is it. For me this would be a camera day...

Return to “Kitesurfing”