Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2018 EVO

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

2018 EVO

Postby matth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:06 pm

Any new opinions on the 2018 EVO. I am thinking of upgrading my 2016 quiver. I picked up a Nitro 6 thinking I would upgrade to Nitros, but after several session on it I think I like my EVOs better.
The Nitro is a very nice kite and works as advertised, very similar to a SB in my opinion. The Nitro and SB do this backstall thing that I never really noticed till I started riding EVOs(which do not do that). The EVO just seems lighter and easier to fly in all condition, I also love to play in small waves and the EVO is a decent drifter.. :D

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2018 EVO

Postby Teabageppo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 am

Well we have been on the new evo. It is quite different. If you like your 2016's try and get yourself a run-out 2017.

That's unless you really have a priority for a better drifting kite. Three struts and much more power dumped quickly on the throw, they have moved it closer to a wave riding freestyle kite. Kind of like the Pivot I suppose if you'd like a comparison.

We didn't like it, not one bit. Nor the 2018 rebel.

North have lost their way again in our minds. We won't be buying new north kites this year until they get it right - they had it right since 2016 by the way, why change...all kites in the lineup were really optimised for what they do in 2016/2017. Suppose north did not have a numpty beginner kite in their range though. So why change??

who the fck knows. ??? Sell more kites maybe...addressing a certain market trend in a diminishing kook market...who knows... but yeh the new evo...nuh!

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:03 am

Who is "we"?

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 am

I will be trying out the new Evo this weekend and will report to this thread. I had a quiver of 2014 Evos for a few years and absolutely loved them. Then, switched over to the 2016 Evo and did not like it at all. I sold them and went to Best. Recently though I decided to go back to North and purchased a quiver of 2018 Rebels. I demo'd them in a variety of conditions and its by far the smoothest, best hang-time kite I have ever used. I've heard pretty good things about the Evo but you never know until you yourself try it. Its good to collect feedback but other people's opinions are no substitute for spending time on the kite and seeing how it performs in your hands.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster

Postby Teabageppo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:16 am

I mainly ride with 4 other blokes. We have used and ridden north kites since 2011...(Myself earlier). We have all ridden 12 plus year, one 14 seasons, me 18th season now.

Between us we have 2016/2017's Rebels, Dices and Evos. We regularly swap between them.

Also have had the 2014 and 2015 dices and rebels (oh and some dynos in among all that). Never liked the evo until 2016. The 2014 evo was horrible, only just reincarnated from the highly delta shaped 2013 and before versions. 2015 was getting there but still too punchy and too much bar pressure. Took them 3 generations to really nail it and they did in 2016 and the 2017 was awesome as well.

I ride 2017 rebels, superior in every way to the 2018, except the 2018 rebels go much more vertical, more easily. It is easier to access the vertical component of the jump. In all fairness it goes more vertical. In ALL other areas we felt it was inferior.

There was nothing about the 2018 evo we liked. and given the wingtip instability (relatively) we wouldn't fancy it in the over powered conditions we like to ride in either. Three struts with depower that makes the kite canopy really rock back and forth on the front lines (a trait not common to north kites normally).

That is what we have found, but agreed ride yourself and see what you find. Beauty is in the beholder.

Opinions only on here.

Partydk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: Sweden - Malmö, Lomma(Habo Ljung)
Denmark - Lynæs
Favorite Beaches: Sweden - Malmö, Lomma(Habo Ljung)
- Väg 100
- LA (Lundåkra)

Denmark - Lynæs
Style: Jumps and freestyle,
Gear: Eleveight RS - XS Series
North Reach and Orbit series
Boards - Eleveight Master C+
- North Atmos Carbon
- Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight, North Kiteboarding, Mystic, Ride engine.mm

Postby Partydk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:19 am

I Love the 2018 EVO.

I have 2018 DICE, REBEL and EVO in 9 and 12kvm.

The Dice i can't feel the big different in 2017 to 2018.

The Rebel gone from 5th line kite to a 4 line. Got a new Bar feeling and smooth in the loops. Still a Really nice Rebel felling. and Like that it is a bit slower to my Old school.

The Evo Has gone from strut to 3. But i Really like the 2018 more then the 2017, It is fast God Hangtime and awesome Boost. :-)

Go out and try them Don't go for what other says.

Best Regards
Kent Ellegaard

Kite danmark - Liquid Force - Kitesurfing udstyr - Våddragt - North Kite

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:26 am

Teabageppo wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:16 am
I mainly ride with 4 other blokes. We have used and ridden north kites since 2011...(Myself earlier). We have all ridden 12 plus year, one 14 seasons, me 18th season now.

Between us we have 2016/2017's Rebels, Dices and Evos. We regularly swap between them.

Also have had the 2014 and 2015 dices and rebels (oh and some dynos in among all that). Never liked the evo until 2016. The 2014 evo was horrible, only just reincarnated from the highly delta shaped 2013 and before versions. 2015 was getting there but still too punchy and too much bar pressure. Took them 3 generations to really nail it and they did in 2016 and the 2017 was awesome as well.

I ride 2017 rebels, superior in every way to the 2018, except the 2018 rebels go much more vertical, more easily. It is easier to access the vertical component of the jump. In all fairness it goes more vertical. In ALL other areas we felt it was inferior.

There was nothing about the 2018 evo we liked. and given the wingtip instability (relatively) we wouldn't fancy it in the over powered conditions we like to ride in either. Three struts with depower that makes the kite canopy really rock back and forth on the front lines (a trait not common to north kites normally).

That is what we have found, but agreed ride yourself and see what you find. Beauty is in the beholder.

Opinions only on here.
Did you ever ride the Neo? My 'theory' was that the 2018 was going to be an evolution of the Neo - itself a decent freeride kite - so that the Neo could be pushed back towards the wave market. All you'd really want to tweak on the Neo would be the hang time and you'd have a nice freeride kite. Just wondering if there was any mileage in my theory.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Teabageppo wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:16 am

Opinions only on here.

Thanks for the explanation, I've seen your posts before but didn't know if you represented a publication, shop or website, etc.
You and your friends have a lots of experience on North kites and your opinions are what a forum is for. Thanks for your opinions and reasons behind them.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:28 pm

lindseym wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 am
I will be trying out the new Evo this weekend and will report to this thread. I had a quiver of 2014 Evos for a few years and absolutely loved them. Then, switched over to the 2016 Evo and did not like it at all. I sold them and went to Best. Recently though I decided to go back to North and purchased a quiver of 2018 Rebels. I demo'd them in a variety of conditions and its by far the smoothest, best hang-time kite I have ever used. I've heard pretty good things about the Evo but you never know until you yourself try it. Its good to collect feedback but other people's opinions are no substitute for spending time on the kite and seeing how it performs in your hands.

Sounds good, I look forward to your opinion...

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster

Postby Teabageppo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:14 am

We've ridden the neo since its inception to. It's a damn good wave kite and not a bad freestyle strapless SB kite to (one of the four riders is into that SB strapless freestyle stuff...I'm too set in my ways to learn that stuff, its too damn hard). Hasn't changed much in the past two years, because again by 2016 they really had it nailed. although 2017 neos were just sublime...for what they do. It's now norths best kite. The dice is also a great and is at the top of its evolutionary curve.

The evo needs some work as a three strut option, and the rebel...is just another run of the mill 4 line jumping free-ride kite now. It's lost it's unique loaded fifth line unbridled feel and the performance that goes with it.

The kooks will love it though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”