Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What about kiting in the olympics?

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What about kiting in the olympics?

Postby iriejohn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:57 pm

I don't think there would be any more of a problem with having kitesurfing in the Olympics than there is now with windsurfing. As said above all that would happen is that an interpretation of kitesurfing following the same sort of lines as the windsurfing RS:X class would be implemented.

Then we would just look at it like we do the RS:X turd, laugh, walk away, and get on with our lives.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DWX » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:25 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:57 pm
I don't think there would be any more of a problem with having kitesurfing in the Olympics than there is now with windsurfing. As said above all that would happen is that an interpretation of kitesurfing following the same sort of lines as the windsurfing RS:X class would be implemented.

Then we would just look at it like we do the RS:X turd, laugh, walk away, and get on with our lives.
Except since the invention of KB windsurfing became a grandma sport, hence suitable for the Olympicd

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:12 pm

DWX wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:25 pm
iriejohn wrote:

Except since the invention of KB windsurfing became a grandma sport, hence suitable for the Olympicd

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:27 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:12 pm
DWX wrote:
iriejohn wrote:

says the autistic 5-year old who communicates with his toys only 🙄

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:21 pm

DWX wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:27 pm
iriejohn wrote:
DWX wrote:

I'll spell it out monosyllabically for you: You missed the point.

hth

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:19 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:21 pm
DWX wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:27 pm
iriejohn wrote:

I'll spell it out monosyllabically for you: You missed the point.

hth
And then again there is verbal autism... Or should we play ball now? I can say the same you know, just so you understand how annoying it is to make autistic comments. Won’t take us further🙄

If you cared to articulate you‘d notice I didn’t miss your point, I said you can’t compare the two; different demographic & vastly different lifestyles. Some sports aren’t Olympic material. You can disagree with my point as I can with yours, but you can’t just hit my opinion autistically with “you missed the point”. That’s autistic! See a shrink!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:30 pm

DWX wrote:
OK, I'm happy to accept that because I'm unable to interpret the above as meaning this I am therefore in your eyes autistic.
DWX wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:19 pm
If you cared to articulate you‘d notice I didn’t miss your point, I said you can’t compare the two; different demographic & vastly different lifestyles. Some sports aren’t Olympic material. You can disagree with my point as I can with yours, but you can’t just hit my opinion autistically with “you missed the point”. That’s autistic! See a shrink!

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:02 pm

https://www.facebook.com/YouthWorlds/ph ... 93/?type=3

That link should lead to a picture of a really excited young girl who has invested thousands of hours and her parents thousands of £s on her dream of representing her country in the Olympics. She's just won the youth worlds which should put her square on course to achieve her ends, except the company who supplied her equipment are lobbying alongside a minute section of a niche within a niche sport to wrestle her and many other kids dreams from them. They will have to change course, learn to kitesurf then foil and buy a whole load more kit from said corporation, and you wonder why so many people hate the authorities that try to govern them.

Most kitesurfers certainly don't want actions like this, windsurfing has always been part of sailing since the beginning it didn't have much choice, but kitesurfing still has a choice, to reject all this none sense, it's not as if there is a big grass roots following of foil racing just wanting to be recognised, it's just a few would be gravy trainers looking for financial reward.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:31 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Most kitesurfers certainly don't want actions like this, windsurfing has always been part of sailing since the beginning it didn't have much choice, but kitesurfing still has a choice, to reject all this none sense, it's not as if there is a big grass roots following of foil racing just wanting to be recognised, it's just a few would be gravy trainers looking for financial reward.
Well said!

Of course there is a really intense group that follows foil racing, they absolutely love it, it's just not a big part of the entire kiteboarding scene. The biggest part of kiteboarding is just regular people going out and boosting on a twintip on a sunny day.

Sailing is different from kiteboarding. Kiteboarding is not naturally a racing sport. It is naturally a free ride sport. Sailing is naturally a racing sport. What happens when you get two ordinary people both in their hobie's or their lasers and set them adrift at your local spot. They will go race from here to the island and back. Same with iceboats, or cars. Racing is inherent to sailing. Kiteboarding is not inherently a racing sport, and should never have been put under the World Sailing organization. We are much more like skateboarding, wakeboarding and snowboarding. Yes you can race, but that's not the appeal and the way the olympics looks to grab ahold of kiteboarding and use our sport to gain viewers, it's all very cynical and a transparent political ploy that will do nothing for kiteboarding and whose sole purpose is to somehow save the sport of sailing from being dropped from the olympics. Because sailing is very boring. Actually I do love sailing. It's not boring. It's boring watching sailing.

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:49 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:02 pm
https://www.facebook.com/YouthWorlds/ph ... 93/?type=3

That link should lead to a picture of a really excited young girl who has invested thousands of hours and her parents thousands of £s on her dream of representing her country in the Olympics. She's just won the youth worlds which should put her square on course to achieve her ends, except the company who supplied her equipment are lobbying alongside a minute section of a niche within a niche sport to wrestle her and many other kids dreams from them. They will have to change course, learn to kitesurf then foil and buy a whole load more kit from said corporation, and you wonder why so many people hate the authorities that try to govern them.

Most athletes in the Olympics today don’t represent their countries! You are so ignorant... The Olympics habe become one of the most totalitarian global enterprises there are, a lot worse than any kite manufacturer. Again, you have no clue what winning Olympic gold means 🙄

Return to “Kitesurfing”