Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

forum for kitesurfers


kiterocky
Frequent Poster
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:25 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby kiterocky » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:39 pm

With 5th line much easier

User avatar
jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:22 pm
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Longisland, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby jeromeL » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:00 am

kiterocky wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:39 pm
With 5th line much easier
For my kites it's easier in 4 line than 5, but probabaly depends on shape of kite. 4 line more likely to get kite mostly flagged and stable, with 5 because flag is right in center my kite always fly on its back right in middle of window if I release in more than 25/30 knots.
Probabaly depends on kite shape, bridle and such, at the end of the day you have to find technique that works for you and your gear but I would avoid self landing in 35+ wind when I can...

dejavu
Medium Poster
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:06 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Favorite Beaches: Melbourne Australia
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Protec, Rip Curl
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby dejavu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:11 am

When I kite by myself I use a Sand Anchor that I purchased from NZ.
http://watersports.co.nz/wp-content/upl ... Anchor.jpg
Just lower to the edge of the window, attach your chickenloop/fireball to the sand anchor and then walk to the kite to lower. I also attach my kite bag when kiting so it doesn't move around. Its a good quality product and I would recommend.

RedSky
Medium Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 am
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber, +Croydon
Gear: Genetrix Hydra

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby RedSky » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:29 pm

Same here. I use something similar called the KiteLaunchTool. It works really well. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2387250

User avatar
mede
Frequent Poster
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Villa-Arcadia.com
Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa)
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa), the endless and windy beach in front of villa-arcadia.com
Style: Strapless surfing, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vanguard 5.2 (firewire kitesurf edition), Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: villa-arcadia.com
Location: Sri Lanka / www.villa-arcadia.com
Contact:

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby mede » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:27 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 pm
In that kind of wind I’d try this first (especially if kite is still dry and you don’t want a birds nest):-

Assuming you have a good-sized area of beach – for plan B below, just in case! –
Bring kite to side of window on the beach about 3m off the ground, steer the kite hard to the ground and immediately push bar away and take a couple of steps downwind.
Some also have a tug at the top centre line at this point too.
In most cases the kite will end up parked nose to wind. I then make a beeline to grab the kite.

If it doesn’t or you mess it up, try again or plan B is to release to safety.

I was sceptical when a guy on the beach mentioned this method to me, as he described it as ‘smashing your kite into the ground’
but I have had good success with it. You don’t need to smash it, but be firm.
Please only try this if you are experienced.
That's another way of describing what I mentioned in my post ;)
It works much neater than just flagging the kite.

Try it out.

User avatar
rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:51 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Leeupan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: GK vSonic 6 & 11
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby rynhardt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:38 pm

zig zag wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:26 pm

this guy is lucky the kite was well behaved.. you could have the kite re-launch with both centerlines taunt... sorry but this is a poor example.
Maybe it's just my kites but relaunch on the two front lines is hardly an issue.
With my strutless 17 it's pretty much guaranteed anyway. You just walk up the lines to the kite.

Van Hunk
Rare Poster
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:14 am
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Dolphin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby Van Hunk » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:42 am

This video is a bum steer. Avoid central line in high winds at all costs...
mede wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:47 pm
I would suggest that instead of just releasing, you fly the kite to the window, steer it down (possibly grabing both front lines for an impulse), then pull the upwind frontline to properly touch the kite down. Then proceed as you described

Grabbing and pulling in lines in high winds can get sketchy. If you wrap a line and the kite powers up you will be in a world of hurt. I like all my lines as far down wind from me as possible.
[/quote]
Attachments
IMG_1100.JPG

badgb21
Frequent Poster
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:55 am
Kiting since: 2004
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: CrazyFly, Cabrinha, Concept X Ruler Split.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hants UK

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby badgb21 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:09 pm

#Ouch! If that's your digit, then hope it healed in an ok fashion. Serves as a good reminder when feeling complacent.

I agree about touching the lines when kite is flying, I have occasionally given the top line a quick pull if the wind is light enough, but there are times when I shouldn't have.
We land on a grass area, which can get a shadow at low heights due to a small sea wall. My 15m Contra has on a couple of occasions not played ball with my
method and I have needed to flag out. With the kite on the ground steady and not powered I have walked up the flagging line to the bar and wound my lines, careful not to wind around hands or fingers.
Even this low line tension with new lines can give red marks across your hands.
These days I put a ground stake in and if the kite won't stand on its side, due to the wind shadow, I leash the flagged-out kite to the ground stake and walk to the kite.
Keeps my hands off those lines!




Van Hunk wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:42 am
This video is a bum steer. Avoid central line in high winds at all costs...
mede wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:47 pm
I would suggest that instead of just releasing, you fly the kite to the window, steer it down (possibly grabing both front lines for an impulse), then pull the upwind frontline to properly touch the kite down. Then proceed as you described

Grabbing and pulling in lines in high winds can get sketchy. If you wrap a line and the kite powers up you will be in a world of hurt. I like all my lines as far down wind from me as possible.
[/quote]

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5934
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby plummet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:26 pm

That video is bullshit and unsafe and not recommended for high wind. Any learners watching this. This is a dangerous method to land. Don't copy it.
I suspect that this kiter has only ever kited in moderate winds and hasn't had to land it crazy conditions before. A lot of what he does is just plane wrong for high wind landing.

First error. He walks his board in and puts it on the beach. Why? dangerous. He gets too close to obstacles. There's no surf, Its shallow, the board can float in the water.

Second error. Kite at the zenith. If he gets hit by a gust while dropping his board off boom. Into the trees and fence. Hold the kite at the edge in high winds. ideally towards the water. Then if a gust hits you only get dragged sideways back into the water not into air and object. Keep the kite low!

Third error. He wastes time walking back out into the water. Thats more time for gusts to hit you and drag you. Get in an land asap in high winds. Don't f*** around like this guys. It might be ok in 20 knots but its bloody dangerous in high winds.

Forth error. He pulls the safety at the zenith. This is stupid in high winds. Pull the safety with the kite low. Then it will immediately fall to the ground.

Fifth error. He wraps lines around his fingers while holding the bar!. Don't do this ever!. Stupid stupid.

To improve upon this video and make it safer here's my suggestions.
Don't walk the board in. Keep the kite low in shallow water. Pull the safety with they kite at the edge. Don't wrap the safety line around the bar. Let the bar go. If its too windy to walk the safety line. Pull the safety so the kite lands in the water, connect the flag out line to your board and run in and secure your kite. Don't go holding lines and wrapping liness in high winds before you have secured the kite. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

User avatar
kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:42 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: uk
Contact:

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby kjorn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:56 pm

plummet wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:26 pm
That video is bullshit and unsafe and not recommended for high wind. Any learners watching this. This is a dangerous method to land. Don't copy it.
I suspect that this kiter has only ever kited in moderate winds and hasn't had to land it crazy conditions before. A lot of what he does is just plane wrong for high wind landing.

First error. He walks his board in and puts it on the beach. Why? dangerous. He gets too close to obstacles. There's no surf, Its shallow, the board can float in the water.

Second error. Kite at the zenith. If he gets hit by a gust while dropping his board off boom. Into the trees and fence. Hold the kite at the edge in high winds. ideally towards the water. Then if a gust hits you only get dragged sideways back into the water not into air and object. Keep the kite low!

Third error. He wastes time walking back out into the water. Thats more time for gusts to hit you and drag you. Get in an land asap in high winds. Don't f*** around like this guys. It might be ok in 20 knots but its bloody dangerous in high winds.

Forth error. He pulls the safety at the zenith. This is stupid in high winds. Pull the safety with the kite low. Then it will immediately fall to the ground.

Fifth error. He wraps lines around his fingers while holding the bar!. Don't do this ever!. Stupid stupid.

To improve upon this video and make it safer here's my suggestions.
Don't walk the board in. Keep the kite low in shallow water. Pull the safety with they kite at the edge. Don't wrap the safety line around the bar. Let the bar go. If its too windy to walk the safety line. Pull the safety so the kite lands in the water, connect the flag out line to your board and run in and secure your kite. Don't go holding lines and wrapping liness in high winds before you have secured the kite. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I was out yesterday nice power on my 8m torch. Came in when it got a big too gusty. Hit the quick release and the kite ended up on its back resting on the wet sand.

I could not for the life of me climb the 5th line. I had to wrap it around my hand (which I HATE HATE HATE so f-ing dangerous) and even with 4 wraps it was still slipping and dragging me down wind. Obviously I did eventually get to the kite, but it was a huge pain in the ass, my hands hurt like hell from hanging onto the line.

We need to come up with a better way of landing kites.

I like the idea of a sand anchor, but in areas with big tides, where do you put it?


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 41 guests