Local Beach: la manga
Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby petato2 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:05 pm

What about those days where you start kiting at a given wind (like 20 knots) but then the wind comes up while you are inside.

You are alone and still need yo land the kite by yourself.

I would say putting a sand anchor before entering the water is the safest.

My question is how reliable is the anchor system in high winds. Not because of the anchor itself, but because of the gusts in the kite once it is attached to the anchor and you are on tour way yo grab the kite.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:39 pm

petato2 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:05 pm
What about those days where you start kiting at a given wind (like 20 knots) but then the wind comes up while you are inside.

My question is how reliable is the anchor system in high winds. Not because of the anchor itself, but because of the gusts in the kite once it is attached to the anchor and you are on tour way yo grab the kite.
2 anchors. One tied to the chicken loop, another tied to the safety leash. If the kite starts dragging the anchor on the CL, after a foot or so the safety leash will become tensioned and depower the kite.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 pm

petato2 wrote:

Very sketchy IMO, lots can go wrong and you are now on land. Much better off punching out and having a flagged kite to deal with than a potential lofting.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:58 pm

sarc wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:39 pm
petato2 wrote:

2 anchors. One tied to the chicken loop, another tied to the safety leash. If the kite starts dragging the anchor on the CL, after a foot or so the safety leash will become tensioned and depower the kite.

Good idea, someone was working on a tether system that had two connection points. The main hook had a nylon bolt that would snap away to the secondary flag line. Not sure if it ever hit the market.

That being said in crazy overpowered conditions dealing with all that is still very sketchy, I would much rather punch out in the water.

macgruber
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oregon coast/gorge
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita, Stevenson, Kanaha
Style: surf & foil
Gear: LF WOW kites
LF Impulse foil
Slingshot surfboards
Shinn Monk tt
Has thanked: 0

Postby macgruber » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Tether is definitely the safest as long as you have a good anchor. Helix screw work better than dog anchor corkscrews in our sand at the Oregon Coast. Usually we have enough driftwood to tie to and Harbor Freight has 2” towstrap with forged shackles 12’ Long for under $10

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:02 pm

macgruber wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:52 pm
Tether is definitely the safest as long as you have a good anchor. Helix screw work better than dog anchor corkscrews in our sand at the Oregon Coast. Usually we have enough driftwood to tie to and Harbor Freight has 2” towstrap with forged shackles 12’ Long for under $10
It depends how close the teather is to obstacle's. Ultimately the safest method is to punch to safety in the water.

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:42 am

plummet wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:02 pm
macgruber wrote:
It depends how close the teather is to obstacle's. Ultimately the safest method is to punch to safety in the water.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:58 pm

matth wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:42 am
plummet wrote:
macgruber wrote:
Not an option with shorebreak waves....

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Self landed my 6m in 30 knots yesterday (nobody else around). As usual used maximum trim, flew low to the edge of the window until the wingtip rested on the sand, then pulled rapidly on the top front line while walking quickly towards the kite. Often goes tits up over 20 knots so I was very surprised! First time I've done this with an Enduro V2 above 20 knots - LE does sit nice and flat so it stayed put. Phew.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:29 pm

mede wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:58 pm
matth wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:42 am
plummet wrote:

Not an option with shorebreak waves....
Yes it is. Of course you risk damaging the kite. But when you are super over powered it is the safest option. I've done it several times when i have been so incredibly over powered that i'm doing the high speed death run fully trimmed and still out of control. Say 6m kite 50 knots. It that wind you can't even walk the line when the kite is flagged, Dump to safety in the shore break on purpose. Let a wave roll over the kite. The wave holds it down long enough for you to run to the kite and secure it.

Ultimately its far better to damage the kite that safe the kite and risk damaging yourself.

Do i dump to safety in a shore break in 30 knots on a 6m? No I dont. You can easily use the other methods listed above,

Return to “Kitesurfing”