Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Forum for kitesurfers
mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby mede » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 pm

@plummet: I'm with you on this - in conditions as you describe (ridiculously overpowered). Did the same in Tarifa one day - no other option. But in regular conditions, I stay with what I mentioned before: fly to edge, steer down hard, pull upper front line, and when landed quickly walk flag line to kite

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How To Self-Land a Kite in High Winds

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:09 am

Anchors don't work for me because I typically do downwinders alone, and the wind will often be blowing a lot harder at the end of the run. One instance of a failed self-landing in high winds was enough to convince me simply to dump the kite to a single front line flag out. Only thing then is to make sure you pull the line to get the kite to flip over onto its front before walking up the line, taking care not to walk over the other lines in case a big gust does catch it and you need to let it go to leash again. I must have done this ten times at Holbaai north of Cape Town this season. Never had a problem, always a soft landing for the kite, and no damage, but it is a nice wide open beach with no one around usually when it is blowing 30-40 knots.

Return to “Kitesurfing”