Style: Wave
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing New Zealand north island round christmas

Postby Erwinbest » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi there
I am travelling with my daughters (10-12) from december 24 till january 4 on the North island and looking for some good kite spots. I like wavespots but for the Girls i like to go to flat water partly shallow.
Hope anyone can support us with some good info and maybe can tell abouth the wind this period.
Looking forward!!!
Thnx
Erwin
The Netherlands

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Re: Kitesurfing New Zealand north island round christmas

Postby or6 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:42 pm

I don't know where you'll be travelling, but around Auckland there are heaps of spots.

There's Muriwai, awesome beach, offers both flat water (at low tide) and waves at high. There's Takapuna, flat water, Point Chev, flat water, Shakespeare Bay, gorgeous area, flat water. Many more, and that's just Auckland. Orewa beach, can be flat, can be a mild surf.
Raglan is a favourite. Cool town, both flat water on the river as well as the home of the longest wave in NZ. Mount Manganui, georgeous, though rather popular. Mangawhai heads, worth checking.

And many more.

My suggestion; bring your gear, visit kiteworks in Auckland (Google it) and ask. Or Lee at Anabatic in Orewa.

Windwise: you'll need luck. Summer doesn't have a lot of wind. Bring you biggest kit. If you're a surfer, bring your board, if not, learn, or buy some bodyboards and have fun.

Have fun no matter what you do. It's a lovely country, great people.

Or6

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m

Postby Bletti » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Cheltenham Beach is another Auckland beach at mid/high tide that is flat on an Easterly

Erwinbest
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Egmond aan zee
Style: Wave
Gear: Naish

Postby Erwinbest » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Wow great info! We starting in auckland and will end there. I want to show my daughters as much as possible of the country but still relax and kitesurf, wavesurf, sup where we can. Its a shame we only have two week but that is school wise. We definitly going to enjoy your country!!
Thnx

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:05 pm

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 371094&z=5

Here you go... plenty of spots, good timing is tricky due to tides...

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:45 am

That map is sweet as. Use it.

Kiwibayer
Rare Poster

Postby Kiwibayer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:11 am

You probably won't like to hear it, but leave your gear at home and discover the beauty of the island without wasting time chasing the wind.
You do not have much time and New Zealand is huge. We also currently experiencing an unusual early hot summer with no wind at all other than for foiling.
I also do not recommend the Auckland spots at all. You need incredible local knowledge and lots of patience fighting the traffic.
Have fun whatever you decide to do.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:24 pm

As a general rule the prevailing wind is westerly, The west coast has Bigger swell and bigger winds and better wave locations. East coast. lighter winds, flatter water, more estuaries.

If you want waves then add Raglan and Taranaki (new Plymouth) to your destination list.

It looks like La nina weather pattern is going to prevail this year. That means more northerlies, less wind and less swell. So its going to be light (sub 20) unless you strike a tropical weather system moving through.

The good thing about NZ is that it is so small. If you are willing to drive to chase the wind on any given day you will be able to find some within 3-4 hours drive. Windy is quite good on a macro scale to hunt down the windiest spots.

https://www.windy.com/?-36.892,174.807,5

Keep monitoring windy from now on and you will get a handle of where the bests winds are around the country at the moment.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:38 pm

There's a Facebook group too...

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:25 am

5 days out, use windguru to plan your kiting as winds are wsw (prevailing) and ne.. opposites!

Always arrive just after high tide.. outgoing tides if riding estuaries.

Kiting in NZ can be full on, ask a local for advice.. especially the estuaries like raglan and west coast beach riding eg muriwai.

Caution.. I met a kiter travelling for 3 weeks.. got next to no sessions.. when I told him we had been kiting most days he was sooo upset! Anything west and summer sunny.. after high tide .. you will likely be riding at raglan.

Far north there are some gems.

Centres of kiting are Auckland, raglan, Nelson, Wellington(can be too full on windy/gusty), far north, Christchurch, tauranga.. u can kite a lmost anywhere on the right day tho.. NZ is so jagged what the wind direction and a map is essential.. not like Maui or Dom republic,nor brazil.. day to day different locations suitable . Njoy

Return to “Kitesurfing”