Rare Poster
Gear: F one
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jumping with a smaller kite 7m Bandit 2016

Postby Mrzogs » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:35 am

Hey guys,

I’ve been kiting a few years and I’ve had a quiver of 12/9/7 2016 Bandits for a while now. Using it with a 135 Crazy fly Bulldozer and I weigh around 82kg.

Probably had approx 10 sessions on the 7m, mostly ride the 9m and 12m.

Lately I’ve had a few stormy/gusty sessions on the 7m in choppy wavey conditions and I’m not getting on with jumping with it. I find I over take the kite and land on my side or the lines go slack and the jump feels like I’m whipped up fast, followed by a quick drop with little hang time.

They describe the smaller bandits as freestyle surf kites and not solely aimed for jumping. Keen to here other people’s thoughts as I don’t have the same issues on the 9 and 12m.

I’m sure it comes down to technique and practice. Also the choppy/gusty conditions don’t help with the edging/load/pop aspect.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Re: Jumping with a smaller kite 7m Bandit 2016

Postby or6 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:39 am

Yep. It's your timing. It's different from bigger kites.
Less hangtime....also to be expected when using a smaller kite.

Be slightly more careful with your input, it's easy to oversteer a small kite.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Yea, don’t want to oversteer but small kites have no “torque”. You have to keep then moving once in the air and loop the landings to get the lift you need out of them. If you just park them, you fall.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:08 pm

Never used a Bandit myself so I can’t say anything about flight characteristics. You’re having the standard problems with small sizes though. Landings are the tricky part when using smaller sizes and it’s usually the times you get hurt.

I use the XR and my 6m is brilliant. Depending how good the Bandit is in the mid to high end, that can make all the difference in the world. If it’s good at soaking up gusts and dumping power when you need it to, that matters a great deal.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Mrzogs wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:35 am

Lately I’ve had a few stormy/gusty sessions on the 7m in choppy wavey conditions and I’m not getting on with jumping with it. I find I over take the kite and land on my side or the lines go slack and the jump feels like I’m whipped up fast, followed by a quick drop with little hang time.
That's what jumping a smaller kite is like. Because of the wind speed you have plenty of power to rip you off the water, but once airborne there's not a lot of wing area to "fly". Sounds like you're also "over sending" it. If you're not really powered up the tendency is to send the kite too far back in order to get the initial lift. Look at your kite when you're approaching the apex of your jump and make sure it isn't any farther back than about 11:00 or 1:00 (depending on which way you're going). If it is, you've over sent and need to redirect it quickly to get it back overhead (or loop) to get some lift and speed.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Hold the kite back longer and wait later before flying it above your head and do a last second dive in front of you. You need to be precise with a small kite and slow your decent with carefully time dive forward or downloop.

shef
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: A mixed bag

Postby shef » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:57 pm

I owned the 2015 7m Bandit and found it a bad jumping kite. Rode it back-to-back with a Best TS 7m and there was a big difference in jump performance and ease of landings. I agree, the 9m Bandit is/was far superior and super easy to jump/land. If I were you, I'd borrow your buddies' 7m kites and try those because in my opinion, much better jumping kites than Bandit in the 7m size. 9m and up, Bandit is nice as a jumping/looping kite (could do without the flutter though).

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional

Postby mopman365 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:08 pm

shef wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:57 pm
I owned the 2015 7m Bandit and found it a bad jumping kite. Rode it back-to-back with a Best TS 7m and there was a big difference in jump performance and ease of landings. I agree, the 9m Bandit is/was far superior and super easy to jump/land. If I were you, I'd borrow your buddies' 7m kites and try those because in my opinion, much better jumping kites than Bandit in the 7m size. 9m and up, Bandit is nice as a jumping/looping kite (could do without the flutter though).
I also own the 2015 7m and find it a jumping machine. Go higher than on 2017 9m. Guess you just need more wind or practice.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:10 pm

i have 2015 7m, it boosts well (as high as my 9m GP in similar condition) but i agree that landing are tricky in gusty condition, you drop fast and need to move kite actively. If you know how to heliloop that helps but if lulls are too strong it's going to be tough... I tried to loop it in 25 knots, I go up fine and kite catch me fine but hard to get enough power from it on landing loop sometimes.
It's very fast kite so you need to get used with timing, and like other said you can't really get away with sheeting in for hangtime especially if you have bad take off and technique.

Return to “Kitesurfing”