Local Beach: Felixstowe Ferry
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Recommendations needed- flatwater family friendly spot in Europe in July/August

Postby Luke Palin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Advice needed please!

I'm looking to book a kitesurf holiday this summer in Europe that has the following: flat water (not choppy); very reliable wind; and a family friendly hotel very close by. I can't seem to find anywhere with all 3! Any ideas? Thanks

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Re: Recommendations needed- flatwater family friendly spot in Europe in July/August

Postby K-Roy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Prasonisi/Greece

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Re: Recommendations needed- flatwater family friendly spot in Europe in July/August

Postby or6 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:23 pm

You're not asking for much, are you? :-)

Look into Portugal. I'm not into flat water, but I found Portugal to be family-friendly, and great for kiteboarders. I think down south, in the Algarve, there are some flat water spots. Don't know much about them.

Up north, there's Viana, Esposende. Esposende has both waves and a flatwaterlagoon.

Around Lisbon, great city, also with kids, there's Fox do Arelho. Troia.

The only issue we had with the Portuguese coast is the fact that in most beaches the waves are too large and strong for kids. This is less of an issue in the Algarve.

Or6

Luke Palin
Medium Poster

Postby Luke Palin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks both of you. Really like the look of Prassonisi. I'll look into Portugal too- I love Lisbon so that could work. Cheers for the advice!

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:42 pm

Have fun, wherever you go!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:53 pm

I live in Sweden, been kiting 16 years and windsurfing since 80's here.
Summer time there's only really reliable wind in a few regions of Europe. You ask for " very reliable " - I take that to mean 20+ days a month.
Combined with flat water.
And whats a family friendly hotel?? I have a kid, but still I can't figure out what you mean. it's very dependent on age of kids, wife's and kids interests.

Most reliable winds are in tarifa, and Greece ( Meltemi winds). I've heard Sardinia is great too.

Other thing is that august is crowded and it's better in early July or September

Luke Palin
Medium Poster

Postby Luke Palin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Sorry, it was rather vague- I have a 1 year old and a five year old so looking for a hotel with lots of activities/ kids clubs. I've actually been to Tarifa and Porto Pollo, both great but Tarifa so crowded peak season and Sardinia not reliably windy enough. I think Rhodes may be my best option, or perhaps Algarve.

CzP41004
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Formerly near Peniscola, Spain, now Crimea
Favorite Beaches: Feodosiya and Kerch
Gear: 8m Cabrinha FX kite, Hook&Loop, 8m
140cm Cabrinha Spectrum board
Has thanked: 0

Postby CzP41004 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:19 am

Hi!

The Halkidiki region in Greece is quite nice, I've already went on holidays there - it was before beginning kitesurfing though - and I loved it, and since there were a couple kitesurfers, I guess it's a good spot to practice! Plus, the waves aren't that big, if you go there on good days you'll have enough wind for your kite, and waves small enough for your wife and family to be safe.

I went there with friends and we rented a youth hotel since it was something like 8 years ago, but if you've got your family with you, I guess you'd rather rent a house or an apartment there and have your own accomodation... It's what I did when I went to Alicante the last time, I worked with that company, https://tranio.com/rent/greece/makedoni ... halkidiki/, it isn't cheap... but hey, neither is kitesurfing after all! Plus, they are used to work with foreigners and will help yoi through papers if you're not an EU citizen.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:26 am

Porto Pollo Sardinia is worth researching.

KiteCagliari
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cagliari,
Poetto,
Villasimius,
Chia,
Porto Botte,
Punta Trettu,
Funtanamare,
Geremeas,
costa Rei
Favorite Beaches: Cagliari,
Poetto,
Costa Rei,
Funtanamare
Style: race
Gear: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby KiteCagliari » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:19 pm

Luke Palin wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:04 pm
Advice needed please!

I'm looking to book a kitesurf holiday this summer in Europe that has the following: flat water (not choppy); very reliable wind; and a family friendly hotel very close by. I can't seem to find anywhere with all 3! Any ideas? Thanks
You can have a look at Punta Trettu (http://kitepuntatrettu.com/) one of the best kite spots of Sardinia. To find a flat water spot (not choppy) is not easy. Punta Terttu is the only flat shallow water I know.
Really flat water, steady great winds. Maybe you can find an hotel in the nearest Sant'Antioco.

Ciaoo

Return to “Kitesurfing”