Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to ruin your vacation with Core

Postby Jelle_vw » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:06 pm

knotmyfault wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:19 am
Friend of mine misfortune..
First day of his 2 weeks’ vacation, pilot’s error, he pulled on the wrong side of the bar after a simple rotation and smashes his kite on the water
Kite as less than 20 hours on it..
Humm
A kite should be able to handle a crash on the water.
Unlike cars they are designed for it.
But sometimes you just have bad luck.

So, did you friend take it up with Core and how did they respond?

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi

after reading the posts on this subject I have to admit I am a bit worried now. First of all, I do not have an informed opinion on Core!
A few times a year I do smash my kite (another brand) on the water and while it is evident I try to avoid this from happening I thought that the risk of damaging the kite was rather remote.

Some posts suggest that I need to rethink. Is it really that "easy" to rip a kite hitting the water surface? I am still a bit skeptical but maybe I have been too naive so far!? Isn't smashing the kite once in awhile part of this sport?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:45 pm

A pristine kite can handle a few crashes in a pristine environment, but this is the real world.

I see people plop their kites down on beaches littered with small natural sharps all the time without thinking about it.

Small shells and stones can and will nick kite fabrics and are the ruin of many a kite.

Use caution where you rig and place your kite and it will likely handle plenty of other forms of abuse.

MrWolf
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Woodies Point
Gear: 2016 North Vegas + 2016 Airush Razors
2016 Airush Livewire 140 + 2016 North Wam
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MrWolf » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Its like breaking a bone. There are millions of variables to cause it to break and you can't get angry at your bones for breaking because someone else didn't break theirs by doing the "same thing".

You crash, sometimes it breaks, sometimes it doesn't. If you don't want something to break, don't crash, go back to your trainer kite, buy kites you can afford to crash or maybe kiteboarding isn't for you.

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:00 pm

vela99 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:12 pm
Hi

after reading the posts on this subject I have to admit I am a bit worried now. First of all, I do not have an informed opinion on Core!
A few times a year I do smash my kite (another brand) on the water and while it is evident I try to avoid this from happening I thought that the risk of damaging the kite was rather remote.

Some posts suggest that I need to rethink. Is it really that "easy" to rip a kite hitting the water surface? I am still a bit skeptical but maybe I have been too naive so far!? Isn't smashing the kite once in awhile part of this sport?
Don't be, it's not that easy to bust them like that and don't be to certain of the face value of this post. Often everything is not always what it seems on forums like this and this guy is acting very strangely so probably has some other agenda.
Generally you can crash a kite, they'll only catastrophically fail like that if a foreign object bursts the bladder, which can be thorns, a sharp stone, driftwood in the water any number of 'unlucky' incident. Like getting a puncture on a bike or your car, something else did it other than the water. Folk crash kites in the shallows and hit sharp stones just beneath the surface, I've seen kites impaled on a little nail sticking out of a bit of driftwood that had it not stuck and got caught in the cloth you would never have known it was there at all. Luck of the draw and if it happened all the time no kite company would remain in business and we wouldn't have the enjoyable sport we have.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 pm

vela99 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:12 pm
Hi

Shit happens of course. Generally, no, it’s not easy to split a kite in half or burst the leading edge while riding. Just try to sort it out with the manufacturer and/or a local sail repair shop that’s reputable. Not much more you can do, but speaking for myself, where I live the beaches are riddled with muscle shells and they can be like taking a razor blade to your kite. Takes very little to damage. So for me, setup is critical in terms of avoiding rips and cuts. Most times it’s a small thing you don’t see that gets further aggravated out on the water. Good to have a roll of spinnaker tape on you too. Preferably in a color that stands out from your canopy.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 am

My favorite is the one where he is shaming his dog.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:03 am

jakemoore wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 am
My favorite is the one where he is shaming his dog.

Post hurricane session?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.