Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How do KBs keep from drowning when they wear boots

Forum for kitesurfers
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How do KBs keep from drowning when they wear boots

Postby beebad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:10 pm

beebad wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:07 pm
pj sofine wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 pm
dylan* wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm

there is no "special technique". you just roll over so the board is in front of you. you will figure it out in less than 10 seconds.

the kite isn't going to pull you while you're in the water for more than a second when you fall. if you are being dragged then you need to let go of the bar.

it's not sugar coated, it's very simple. theres no reason for this thread to be multiple pages
You've got to remember the people coming into this sport!(no offense Guys) :allbegood: This thread could be half a page lol,but this is kiteforum.Go on a wake forum and ask about using straps instead of boots and you'll be ripped a new one. I remember using my wake board and boots 1 month into kiting and it was a non issue.So many opinions by non boot users.Might be just as well,the sight of hoards of kiters wearing boots and kiting in the very popular "poo" stance would be terrifying! :-o 90% of this site is for entertainment purposes,look at all the silly threads being started,this site would die without "somebody" constantly posting lame threads. :duh: :desperado:
PJ is your response really necessary? I think I am on the right forum for Kiteboarding for info that I want to get, so if you don't mind. Thank you for your input...

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:42 pm

he's not talking about you, he's talking about all the other kooks that haven't tried something yet feel the need to comment on it as if they're an expert when in reality they have no clue

beebad
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:06 pm

dylan* wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:42 pm
he's not talking about you, he's talking about all the other kooks that haven't tried something yet feel the need to comment on it as if they're an expert when in reality they have no clue
:o OOOooofffff! DOH!!!

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Thought I would post some pics of me getting into the boots.
Position the kite at 10, keep it stable, and place the board so the boots are on either side of your centre.
Make sure beforehand that the boots are as open as possible.
Wiggle in one foot..
Attachments
IMG-0514.JPG

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Keeping the kite stable, wiggle in the other foot.
If you keep the kite too high it becomes difficult to bend down and deal with the laces.
Attachments
IMG-0518.JPG

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:26 pm

Once you are in the boots, sit back down and lift the board off the sand onto its edge. Because by this time the board will have sucked down onto the wet sand and if you attempt a jump start you will stretch your spine..
:o

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Dang that is GREAT! What a nice launch!!! Thanks for sharing

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:18 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:26 pm
Once you are in the boots, sit back down and lift the board off the sand onto its edge. Because by this time the board will have sucked down onto the wet sand and if you attempt a jump start you will stretch your spine..
:o
I never considered how the heck you get into the boots and then into the water and off to the races....thanks

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:29 pm

it's like anything else, in boots you want to use a variety of techniques. If it's super gusty, like blowing 40 knots it's best to get into the boots first of all have someone launch while you are already in your boots, that way you can concentrate all your attention on the kite and not be fiddling around. sometimes if it's dead onshore and light there's no way to get out unless you body drag out and then get into your boots on the water. The rest of the time I throw my board not right on the water but about 6 feet away launch as normal and then get into my boots. After I'm in my boots, I hop around until I'm right on the water. If you have brand new boots they are sometimes super tight and impossible to get into while flying your kite, in that case just remember you can get into your boots first, launch the kite with a helper and then hop over to the water. Don't ride the sand if you want your board to last, but if you don't care about your board you can kite the sand all the way into the water.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:15 am

Just curious, do you boots guys cinch your laces/velcro tight? I don't kite in boots, but I wakeboard with boots cinched really tight. But I see a lot of kiters with boots that aren't cinched up. Maybe it depends on conditions??? Nuking = cinch tight; lighter winds = loose boots???

Return to “Kitesurfing”