Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rebel with low V bar?

Forum for kitesurfers
kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Rebel with low V bar?

Postby kjorn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Can you fly a rebel 2015 with a low V bar? Or do I need to buy yet another bar and lines?

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Re: Rebel with low V bar?

Postby kiterocky » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 pm

No u dont need and its better....

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:44 pm

You need high "Y"....loaded 5th line...or it will fly like crap.....so get a 5th element bar...find a used one at good price

Here this one just came up on Ikitesurf Classifieds...it's not mine....year 2015...will match your kite perfect...only $280

http://c.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/31401

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:50 pm

You need a tensioned 5th line for the Rebel to fly correctly. You can use a 5 line bar or the North bars with the high Y. In my experience the Y split that you get from North makes them fly the best, but as long as your 5th line is tensioned it will fly ok. Now you can use a low V bar, as long as it has a 5th line and you are able to adjust the 5th line for the proper tension. Beginning in 2018 Rebels are bridled kites and I dunno what kind of control bars work on them best, haven't flown them yet. Like pullstrings said, used North control bar is not a bad idea. If all you have is a 4 line bar with low V and no option to run it in 5 line mode it won't work with the 2015 Rebel. the kite will barely fly.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:02 am

I have posted about low V on Rebel before (search my name). I have been flying 2012 and 2015 Rebels with 20m from kite to Y split and 27m backlines (7m from Y split to bar). 2012 and 2015 fly very well this way with increased power and hangtime; however kiteloops are a little harder as kites don't catch you / climb up the final half of kiteloop as fast as with high Y.
There's another issue. The kites are not designed to fly this way so after 2 years of riding most weekends + holidays all kites have stretched. They won't fly unless the 5th line is 5 inch or >10cm SHORTER than the other fronts. They still fly very well but this is not normal or a good thing.
I just got 2017 Rebel 9m and it flies like a pig on this setup. I tried different Y split lengths and it flies well with kite to split = 12.3m which is the split of my 2010 North 5th line bars (I have posted trying to get kite to Y length for 2017 bars - if anyone knows please post here thanks!!)

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kjorn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:08 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:50 pm
You need a tensioned 5th line for the Rebel to fly correctly. You can use a 5 line bar or the North bars with the high Y. In my experience the Y split that you get from North makes them fly the best, but as long as your 5th line is tensioned it will fly ok. Now you can use a low V bar, as long as it has a 5th line and you are able to adjust the 5th line for the proper tension. Beginning in 2018 Rebels are bridled kites and I dunno what kind of control bars work on them best, haven't flown them yet. Like pullstrings said, used North control bar is not a bad idea. If all you have is a 4 line bar with low V and no option to run it in 5 line mode it won't work with the 2015 Rebel. the kite will barely fly.
I got a mutiny 5th line bar, I think I'll get a high Y split bar from North then. Cheers :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”